{8} Chapter - Edited

Hush, Howl {8}

Sapphire

         This town was pretty much surrounded by forests. There is no wonder why no one ever had the courage to do anything behind the school grounds. Everybody in the school were afraid to go in because of the last reports of dead bodies. They were scared to be attacked by some sort of rabid animal. I have no idea why . . . but the forest feels like my second home.

           This time though, I didn’t just hold on to my feelings . . . I let myself break down into cries. The tears continued to pour down my face, but I remained quiet. 

         Yes, I cried.

         But those words that Caitlin said were not the reason why.

         I cried because everything was my fault.

         I sauntered quietly through the forest and sat down on a comfortable random spot under a twisted tree where I was certain no one would ever find me in. I’m not quite used to these parts of the forest, but I’m pretty sure I can start getting used around here. It was like the first time that found the flute under my parents’ duvet and ran away into the woods to try and start playing it—hopefully, I self-studied it while searching the internet for backup.

         I could be compared to a piece delicate glass, broken and shattered into pieces that can be regarded as useless. And though I could never be the same again, I managed to mend myself together with the help of my cousin and aunt. The flute brought me back to life . . . it brought up all of my hopes and opportunities. And though I couldn’t speak, the tune I play serves as my language—my voice, though different in a way.

         It was the same when you use art to express your feelings, though mine is in a form of music. 

         I rummaged through my bag, hoping to find my flute. When I took hold of it, I sighed and began to try and calm myself. Wiping the tears that fell from my eyes, I took a sharp breath and started to play it. Pouring all of my strongest emotion along with the tune. This time . . . I heard and felt anger, sadness . . . all the negative emotions that have been bottling up inside me for the past years of my life.

         I heard the rustling of leaves, but yet . . . I remained focused. I closed my eyes and allowed my tears to fall, thinking that maybe I'll find a way to lessen the pain that I already have in stored--like I did years ago to endure the loss of my parents. Though I did not let anything distract me at this moment. Even if that familiar, heavy, furry thing was laid across my lap.

I bet it’s the wolf again.

         Half-peeking through my blurry eyes, my suspicions were correct.

         Even though this wolf can’t speak like me . . . I felt as if he was lending me the comfort of his presence.

         At least someone or something knows how to become a companion. I never really have any friends in school besides my cousin.

Darren

         School starts at approximately one hour and five minutes. She still hadn't come back which made me feel guilty. If only I’ve known she was mute . . . I would’ve stopped Caitlin from saying anything. I’m not regretting anything about her being mine. She was beautiful . . . talented. Who wouldn’t want her as a mate? In fact I feel really proud. Though she can’t speak through her mouth, her language was distinct. The sound of music.

        I leaned against the tree and heaved a sigh of frustration. I haven’t left this spot ever since she decided to flee. I was hoping she would come back.

        Curling my knees in front of me, I hauled my hands on top of them and threw my head back. I closed my eyes and blew out a large sigh. I was keeping myself preoccupied on how was I going to get her to . . . communicate with me on a certain way.

         And then it snapped.

         My sensitive ears picked up the sound of her flute coming from the woods. Though no human would be able to sense it, my super-hearing was able to decipher the tune. A fierce flame of hope ignited within me and my head snapped towards the direction of the forest just across the school grounds.

         That tune was familiar . . . the same amount of emotion she poured through made me think. She was sad and angry . . . the hatred was practically bursting on my ears.

         I jumped from my seat and jolted for the forest. I figured it was on the other side of school grounds. If I am sitting under the tree that grew on the front yard, then . . . the sound was originating from the forest behind the school.

         The students were busy with all their personal works, so I snuck out and once inside the forest with no one noticing me. I stripped off my clothes, hanging them securely on a tree. I shifted into my wolf form with no hesitation and bolted through the trees. Though I’m not quite sure if I’ll find her this time . . . hopefully I can follow her scent before her music stops.

         The symphony that she released, it felt as if it will be forever before she finishes her song.

         Following her scent along with the music, my senses indicated that she was near. I jumped over the logs, burst through the bushes. I ran across the forest grounds, until I was panting heavily. My search was all worth it since I found her sitting under the tree. This time, even with all the rustling noises I made to catch her attention, she remained focus on playing the melody.

         I crouched down and placed my head on her lap, informing that even if I can’t speak to her . . . I am offering her my comfort. Although I cannot communicate well with her on human form, I can enjoy her company in wolf form for the mean time. It will just be a short period of time before I confess to her that I’m the same boy from earlier.

         I'm not going to force her into anything intimate. I want to be as gentle to her as I could. She was already so broken, and judging by her current situation, she seemed so frail and vulnerable. I don't want to cause further damages. So, I'm going to take everything as slow as possible.

         This time, I’ll be her support on bringing her hopes higher . . . I’ll be sure to send them rocketing.

          For the mean time, I’ll do everything I can to get her to speak and open up. Though I can’t help but wonder. Did she lost her voice? Or is she born without a voice? I’ll be sure to ask her friend later . . .

          I suddenly felt the urge to protect her.

           I lost my care for my reputation and the fake friends that buzzed around me, hoping to get popular by sticking close. For now, I'm going to focus about getting near her and to try and get her to loosen up.

           Though before I proceed to everything else, I need to know something first.

           What's her name again?