{13} Chapter - Edited

Hush, Howl {13}

Darren

Daniel and I came home later that day with excitement plastered across our faces. Daniel told me that he discovered about Rosy being his mate. We felt so excited to see them tomorrow that the whole day felt as if it was a year. In exchange for the information Daniel gave to me, I also told him about Sapphire being my mate. He did congratulate me about it, but he was quite disappointed that Sapphire couldn’t speak.  I told him her voice doesn’t really matter as long as she’s safe. But it would be a great honor to hear her talk.

     To allow the day to pass by without dying out of boredom, Daniel and I tried finding something to do. We figured that we might try and impress the girls. So with that in though, Daniel started studying Rosy’s favorite subject. Though he was having a hard time doing it, considering the fact that he wasn’t good in understanding algebraic equations and mathematical problems. I, however, am trying to memorize the different hand signals for sign language.

     My advantage is that memorizing this is easier. And that made Daniel a bit frustrated.

     Having myself finally find my mate gave me a wondrous feeling. Daniel and I were previously conversing how good it felt. And though considering there were a few obstacles and challenges that came with them, it was worth it.

     That night, all I did was stare at the piece of paper I was holding. It was still emanating the same scent—Sapphire’s scent. I breathed it in deeply and chuckled at how her scent seemed to be an alluring source. I was like a bee attracted by a honey on a sweet-smelling flower.

     I slept peacefully throughout the whole night with a smile on my face.

-*-

I was softly woken up by a melodious tune drifting aimlessly in the woods. As my ears caught track of the sound, my eyes fluttered open. A sense of recognition washed through me and I hopped off my bed eagerly, despite how groggy I was currently feeling. I smiled to myself as I opened the window facing the woods and jumped out of it, shifting into my wolf form in the mid-air.

     As I landed on the ground with a loud thud, I took off towards the spot where I last saw Sapphire playing. My wolf was fervent about the idea of seeing Sapphire again. She is our mate after all.

     I trotted towards the clearing, seeing Sapphire’s red hair swish along with the breeze as she concentrated on playing her flute. I gave out a wolfish grin and slowly made my way beside her, sitting down on the forest floor by her leg. I waggled my tail and stuck out my tongue with heavy pants at her playfully, appearing like a puppy. I saw her smile, briefly peeking from her lids before focusing back on playing her flute.

     The song she was currently playing was familiar, but my nose caught of a delicious scent and landed on a small tupperware of bacon and pancakes. Slowly, I reached out my paws and gently tapped the lid, then began licking it. I felt myself go hungry from the mouth-watering scent it emitted. I whimpered lowly from my futile attempts and gave up eventually. Sapphire might eventually give me some after she finished playing.

     My ears perked and I looked at Sapphire. Her fingers gracefully danced across the instrument. I began listening intently to her music, feeling the same flash of recognition sweep through me. The lyrics were stuck in my head, but the title was still forgotten.

     Even before I know it, she ended the song softly and turned to look at me. She briefly checked the time on her watch. I gazed at her attentively until she stood up and reached for my head. She petted me gingerly for a few minutes before I growled satisfyingly under her fingers and gazed longingly at bacon and eggs she had with her.