{7-1} Chapter - Edited

OMG guys! I can’t believe that this story had reached #1 in the romance category! Thanks for reading! Your support is so much appreciated! Don’t forget to VOTE AND COMMENT!

Hush, Howl {7-1}

Darren

         I scampered to stand up on my position, my eyes following her figure as she walked through the school grounds. She was scanning her bag for something. A few minutes later, she brought out a book.

         After reaching her destination, she sat under the tree that grew a few meters away from the tree I was previously sitting on and flipped open the book to start reading it. She was almost finished judging by the pages that she has finished reading.

         Considering this as an opportunity, I looked back at Daniel and perceived that he was still glued on the screen of his laptop. “I’m going to go get something. I’ll catch with you later.” I told him. He just waved his hand at me and grunted a small response of agreement. I shook my head at him and began to approach her.

         She looked so innocent on her position, biting her lip while scanning the words eagerly with her eyes. I can smell her sweet, alluring scent drifting under my nose. It took quite an effort to control the goofy smile on my lips. I don’t want to look desperate on meeting her, either. There was something existing between us that I can’t explain . . . I never even experienced it before. I’m starting to contemplate the cause. And that can only mean one thing--maybe she's my mate.

         When I was only a few inches away from her, she sensed my presence and looked up to meet my eyes. The stare from her hazel-brown eyes was so intense that I remained speechless. She looked as if she was trying to recognize me. Is she able to distinguish me from the wolf she last saw from the woods? It seemed impossible . . . I don’t look anything like my wolf. Except my eyes.

         ‘What are you waiting for? Talk to her!’ I felt my wolf nag me, snapping me from my thoughts. It’s the only time that he seemed so impatient.

         She gazed questioningly straight into my eyes, as if she’s waiting for me to say something.

         “Oh, um, hi.” I greeted, anxiety clear on my voice. This was the first time that I’ve been nervous in front of a girl before. I was always confident.

         She didn’t answer, instead, she smiled and waved up at me. After that, she immediately threw her eyes back on the book. My brows puckered, won’t she even say 'hi' or 'hello'?

           I inched slowly beside her. “Can I sit here?” I asked. She nodded and I slowly slid down until my butt hit the ground. “So . . . I’m Darren” I stuck my hand out for her to shake. She glanced between my face and to my hands. Using her free hand, she shook it eagerly. Pleasurable sparks erupted when we touched. I shuddered unwillingly while she seemed to have goose-bumps.

         She felt it too?

         That only confirms one thing . . . one that I’ve been waiting for so long. She is my mate. That thought made a smile creep its way into my lips.

         When she let go—hesitantly—we sat in silence as I continued to stare at her face, waiting for her to state her name. “What’s your name?” I inquired.

         This time, she didn’t just look at me. She just pursed her lips and began to tense. Her gaze was flickering on different directions, ostensible that she’s anxious of something. She looked as if she was digging deep in her mind. This time, my curiosity took over me. Why won’t she talk back? She kept quiet the whole time.

         “Hey Darren!” There was a sudden tap on my shoulder. I looked up  and Caitlin appeared before me. She had her blond hair bouncing into soft curls, her oval-shaped blue eyes stared at me with confusion while her pink lips formed a small pout. “Why are you talking to the mute? Like she would talk back to you.”

         I know that I’ve seen her around. She’s been here longer than I’ve been and I guess she knows more of the crowd than I do. She crossed her arms over her chest, crinkling the baby blue sweater she was wearing.

         My brows creased for the millionth time due to confusion, “Mute?” The words rolled out of my tongue all of a sudden.

         My head snapped back towards the girl beside me, her eyes were glued tight on what she was reading but it was quite clear that she was out of focus and was regretting something. A pang of guiltiness panged its way to my heart and I can’t help but regret her condition. Concern, worry, curiosity . . . all those emotions washed into my like a heavy flood. So that’s why she didn’t talk to me when I spotted her on the woods, not even a single word escaped her mouth. “Is that true?” A small nod answered my question.

         “Come on, Darren” Caitlin grabbed and started to pull me away from the girl. “That girl will only destroy your reputation. Hang with us. She’s nothing but a mere dreamer who hangs out with the high-school nerd and social climber who plays the flute on hopes of getting popular.” She said. I looked at her with a quizzical look.

         I heard and felt shuffling beside me. As I glanced back to where she was sitting . . . the girl beside me had gathered her things and she started to walk away. I straightened myself and tried to go after her, but a hand grabbed mine and forced me not to. I shook that hand away harshly and sighed as the sight of the girl was lost from my view.

         “Why did you even say that?” I asked, suppressing a growl from erupting from my throat while turning to Caitlin to look at her. Anger started to boil inside me. How dare she say that in front of my mate?

         “Well it’s true.” She crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her hips to the side, stating the words nonchalantly as if it was nothing to her. This time, I can’t control it anymore. I let out the growl that I was trying to hold for so long, making her flinch when she heard me.

         I clenched and unclenched my fists, trying not to release my vehemence. “Listen” I growled. “Don’t ever say that to her again or I swear . . .” I threatened, unsure of the words that’ll escape my mouth.

“Fine! But don’t expect me give her special treatment because of you!” She frowned at me and eventually started to stomp towards the opposite direction.

         I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose. How am I going to fix this? I closed my eyes and began to think deep inside my mind. Yes, I met my mate. But Caitlin ruined my first impression! Now what am I going to do? “Hey Darren!” this time a familiar male voice called me.

         I snapped my eyes open, “What?! Goddamn it!” I cussed under my breath and spotted Daniel in front of me. His eyes gazed at me with utter confusion while he passed the football backed and forth with his hands.

         “What’s wrong man?” He asked, brows creasing over his forehead.

         “It’s nothing . . .” I answered, sighing. “I’m sorry.”

         “It’s fine.” He said. “What do you say about football practice?” He asked.

         “I’m not in the mood.” I responded, sinking back to the ground. My back brushed against the tree and I slid down once more.

         What can I do now?

IF YOU THINK DARREN IS A BIT STUPID BECAUSE HE FORGOT HER NAME, THEN THERE IS A REASON WHY! I'LL EXPLAIN AHEAD IF YOU READ THE NEXT CHAPTERS. AND YES, IT IS INTENDED TO HAPPEN! =) 

I’m sorry if it’s short! I need to update PMA today too! It’s almost finish so… I’ll be devoting some time in it! Thanks for reading! The next chapter will be in Sapphire’s POV! Don’t forget to VOTE AND COMMENT!