{21} Chapter

SERIOUSLY GUYS! DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! VOMMENT!!!!!

{21} Hush, Howl

Darren licked my face and backed away, grabbing all of his clothes with his teeth and bolting into the trees. He emerged minutes later fully dressed.

I seated myself on the old tree stump after snatching my flute out of the way and placing it on my lap. I waited for to hear an explanation from him. Still, I can't help but feel nervous. How'd everything get into this situation?

Darren tucked his thumb in his pocket and looked down at me with remorse. Slowly I lifted my chin to meet his eyes. "Why are you telling me this now?" I asked through my hand gestures.

He sighed, puffing out a frosted breath through his mouth. "Honestly, I was going to tell you later. But then, something came up and...I'm forced to." He explained. "Remember what I told you about my family?" His brows arched while asking.

I nodded.

"Well, the issue is worse than you think. My family...is otherwise known as my pack."

Pack? As in...pack of wolves?

"You didn't answer my question." I paused and allowed my hands to rest. "Why are you telling me this?" Each letter that I signaled in the air, he looked at me intently and formulated my words.

"Well..." He scratched the back of his neck. "I need to protect you."

"Why?" I asked again.

"Because..."

I gave him an inquiring gaze as his face got stained by a tint of pink. Aw, is he blushing?

"Because you're my mate."

Now, I got even more confused.

"Mates are short term for soul-mates."

It's my turn to feel the warmth in my cheeks.

"Each one of us werewolf gets one in a lifetime. And for me, my wolf chose you."

The moment was getting more and more awkward by the moment. I can feel a smile tugging on the corner of my lips and I struggled to keep my face still. I can't stop the blood rushing to my cheeks, and I'm getting redder by the second.

Darren cleared his throat. "I am telling you this now because you need protection. I thought staying away in a matter of few weeks would keep you safe, but the situation is getting worse." Darren placed his hand above mine, providing some warmth. Darn, I forgot to wear gloves. I'm getting frostbite. Darren, however, he managed to keep himself warm despite of the weather.

"Sapphire, you're in danger. I won't let you get hurt." There was some rustle around the alerted him. He stood up and pulled me into his arms, his eyes scanning anything suspicious behind the trees.

"Come on. We need to leave." He said and led me back to my house.

What is a soul-mate?

What kind of danger?

Why am I attracted to him?

Is that the reason why?

Questions swarmed inside my head as Darren left me by the backdoor of my house and assured me he will be back.

"Don't go anywhere, okay? I'll be back." He pulled me into his arms and planted a gentle kiss on my forehead. With that, he peeled away from my arms and ran back to where he belongs.

I ran straight to my room after slipping out of my boots. I dumped my coat back to where I took it first and ignored the barging questions Rosy asked me when I came face to face with her.

The first thing I did was sit in front of the computer and open Google, typing in the subject which I’m intended to find out about in the first place. The things written in the previous sites which I scanned weren’t really that much helpful. It’s obvious that some of this people had came up with some theories or suspicions about werewolves. But that did increased my knowledge at some bits.

My suspicions needed to be confirmed to refuted only by Darren. He knows the real thing.

And what did he mean by danger and protection? I'm dying to know what the hell was everything about.

I sighed in frustration and stood from my seat. I crawled on top of my bed and fell face first on the mattress. There are revelations in this day which was seriously unexpected from such an unsuspecting person.

Spotting my flute sticking out from the pocket of my flute, a thought suddenly crossed my mind. I sat up and reached for it. After a long time, my hand is aching to be able to get in touch with the cold metal and travel them all in the right places while playing a simple tune.

I leaned back against the wooden headboard and brought the tone plate over my lips. Closing my eyes, I allowed my fingers to travel over the necessary places and heard the tune building a melody.

The song was strictly familiar, I just allowed my instincts to kick in. The tune allowed a memory to flash between my mind's eyes.

-*-

The skies were a color of a deep shade of blue with clouds slowly floating like a puffy mist. The surrounding area had towering trees that seemed to kiss the skies with the lush, green rustling leaves that swayed along with the direction of the wind.

A woman was sitting on a cold, cement bench that was constructed under the tree. She was playing the similar kind of music...and the exact flute which I hold now.

She has long, red, fiery hair that beats along with the winds direction, momentarily strangling in front of her face. Her skin was pure and ivory, eyes closed but accentuated with a thick fringe of long, dark lashes. Her jaw-line was of a crescent shape, her cheekbones were high and was stained with a faint mark of rosy blush. Her lips were supple, plump, and petal-colored with her cute button nose.

"Mama? Why do you o-ways pway the fwute?" A cute, baby voice echoed.

The woman ended her tune with a soft note and tilted her head to the side before looking directly to where I was. That's when I realized that I was the girl who asked...

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, revealing a pair of identical hazel eyes as a coy smile tugging on the corners of her lips. "Because...playing the flute shows who I am." She answered.

"But how?"

She sighed at my stubbornness. "Saf, everyone has their way to express their own personalities and emotions. One way is through instruments. Whether that instrument is musical, mechanical, or even a simple hammer or a book." She paused.

"But how weew thwey expwess theiw pewsonawitwies and emwotwions thwough instwuments?"

“Saf, it depends on the person. Instruments are just ways to express them. Like me for example, I play the flute.  My music depends on my personality, too, or emotion as well. Let’s say for example that I like pop, then my music would be based on that kind of tune. If I always play tunes full of emotion and overwhelming sadness, then maybe something has been bothering me or…maybe I am not just happy. You see, instruments leads to other things as well. Besides our personality, it can also express our emotions.  And that varies from time to time." She explained. “Well, I’m confused myself.” She chortled.

My young brain doesn't seem to get her explanation. So I arched my brows in confusion and watched as she chuckled and shook her head. “You’re too young to understand. But I’m pretty sure someday you’ll know what I mean.”

-*-

The memory slowly faded away like a fog that was just being cleared. It was the only time when I realized that I was crying and that the music has died with a soft note. I allowed the tears to flow and dropped my head onto the fluffy pillows before closing them  and allowing myself to fall into the dark abyss of dreams.