1 | Unexpected

I gasp. Loudly, may I add. My eyes snap open as my lungs beg for more air and I scramble to my feet. I look at my surroundings. I'm in a box of some sort that's shooting upwards at immense speed. All around me are artifacts of clothing, samples of food and different other things like tents and pieces of wood. 

"Hello?" I yell out. My voice surprises me, like I had never heard it before. Who am I? My stomach drops as I suddenly realize I don't remember anything. Anything before this point is just blank. I don't remember my name or even what I look like. The service elevator barrels upwards so fast that standing up is a challenge. 

I look over at an aluminum bin and crouch down next to it. My somewhat reflection stares back at me. It scares me a tad because I had completely forgotten what I looked like. My straight brown hair runs past my chest and my blue eyes sparkle against the aluminum. I have kind of a square shaped face with definitive eyebrows and clear skin. I shove the aluminum bin away from me and grab onto the sides of this "elevator" and pull myself up. The elevator continues shooting up as anger boils inside of me. Where am I? Where am I going? Who put me here? Who am I? Thousands of questions run through my mind as the elevator screeches to a halt, throwing me down against the floor of it. A few bins fall on top of me causing me to yell out. I grab onto the bin that fell on me and shove it away, the bin flies across the elevator and slams into the wall. I look down at my hands, surprised I have that kind of strength. 

A face appears above me, standing on the top of this "elevator". It's a boy, maybe fifteen or sixteen years old. He looks quite angry as his eyebrows furrow together. He has short and spiky blonde hair and bright blue eyes. His shoulders are wide and visibly have a good bit of muscle.

"What the shuck." The boy mumbles staring back at me. He grabs onto the roof of the elevator and opens it up, the doors swinging out. He stares at me a little longer before jumping into the elevator with me. He lands on his feet with a thud, causing me to jump back. I look up and see more and more faces appearing as more people, or should I say boys, arrive to do more staring. "You're a girl." The boy says.

"And you are?" I question, folding my arms across my chest and raising my eyebrows. 

That's when someone else jumps in the elevator as well. This guy also looks to be around sixteen but he's a few inches taller than the first one. His blonde hair is a little longer and he's a little bit more slender than the first one, but still has his share of muscle.

"Don't be so rude, Gally." The boy says, his voice sounding quite funny. He sounds british.

I look around my surroundings and find a smaller aluminum pipe laying down on the floor of the elevator. I slowly bend down and grab it before shoving the second boy against the wall of the elevator. "Who the hell are you and where the hell am I?" I yell shoving my face into his. 

"Woah woah woah, Greenie." The boy says, holding his hands up in surrender. "We're not going to hurt you."

The boys above watch in awe at our dispute. 

"I'm Newt and that's Gally." The boy nods over to the one who opened the elevator. "I'll get to all of your questions in a bit, but lets get out of this bloody elevator."

I squint my eyes at him, unsure of what to do, before releasing him from my lock-hard grip. "Newt" sighs slightly as I back away and turns, grabbing onto the side of the elevator and hoisting himself up and out of it. Gally follows him, leaving the elevator. I look up at them as their faces appear looking down at me. 

"Are you coming, or what?" Gally yells.

I take a deep breath before grabbing onto the side of the elevator and pulling myself up. My feet land on, surprisingly, grass. I cover my eyes immediately, the sun nearly blinding them. 

"What the actual hell." I mumble as I gaze around. The grass seems to go for miles on end, stretching as far as I can see. Four large cement walls incase the grassy area, reaching heights so tall you can barely see the top of them. "Where am I?" I demand, staring right at Gally and Newt. 

"You're in the Glade." Newt answers. 

"The Glade?" I ask. "I...I'm so confused..." I trail off. I brush a piece of hair out of my face and continue to look around. "I don't remember anything."

"She looks like a Med-jack to me." A voice comes from behind me. That's when I realize that a slight circle has been formed around Newt, Gally and I. 

"I could use some help in the kitchen." Another one says, watching me intently. 

All of them are boys. Not a single girl in sight. 

"Nah, nah." Another one of them sighs, "I say we make her a Slopper."

"What in the world are you people talking about?" I ask, panic slightly setting in. "What is a Slopper and a Med-jack?" I look over at Newt. "And what's a Greenie?"

"Everyone hush up!" A strong voice comes from behind me. I whirl around and see a dark-skinned boy walking over to me. He extends his hand to shake mine. "I'm Alby."

"The leader." A voice says.

"Yes." Alby chuckles slightly. "I'm first in command here in the Glade. Newt's second." He nods over to Newt. 

"Alby." I demand, visibly taking him by surprise. "Why can't I remember anything?"

"Relax." Alby says, grabbing onto my shoulders and looking me in the eyes. "It's normal. It's happened to all of us."

Newt steps up next to him. "You'll get your name in a day or two. It's the one thing they'll let us keep." 

My eyebrows furrow. It seems that the answer to all of my questions just leave me even more confused than before. "What is this place?" I wonder aloud.

"Newt here will show you." Alby says, elbowing Newt. "I would but I have to check on something in the Gardens." And with that Alby turns around and walks back the way he comes. 

Newt looks over at me with an amused look on his face. "Shall we get going?"