8 | Thomas

I sigh as I sit down against the fallen tree next to Newt, who's sitting next to the Greenie. Newt is still working on his drink, while mine was gone a long time back.

"Hell of a first day, Greenie." Newt says, looking over at the new kid. The new kid glances at us, nervously, still obviously confused about everything. "Here." Newt hands him the mason jar. "Put some hair on your chest."

The Greenie takes the jar from Newt and drinks a sip of it. "Oh my God!" Greenie coughs out. "What is that?"

"I don't even know." Newt answers. "It's Gally's recipe."

I look behind me at Gally and some smaller kid fighting in a circle of Gladers.

"Yeah, well, he's an asshole." Greenie comments.

I tilt my head forward and look over at him, "He saved your life today."

"Trust me," Newt adds. "The Maze is a dangerous place." Newt takes a sip from his mason jar, unaffected.

I look behind me at Minho, who's eating by the fire.

"I'll be right back guys, I've got to go talk to Minho for a second." I say, standing from my sitting position.

As I walk away I hear Newt explaining to Greenie about the Runners and how we run the Maze everyday, looking for a way out. Greenie seems to be shocked by that and I hear Newt explaining that I'm a Runner. I smile to myself, widely.

"So are you two like a thing?" Greenie asks.

"Yeah." Newt says, his voice saying he's definitely smiling. I feel their gazes on me as I walk towards Minho. "I don't know. She came out of the Box about two weeks ago and ever since then I've felt this certain connection to her. She feels the same way. And she's bloody gorgeous to top off all that."

Their voices fade as I sit down next to Minho who's still eating dinner.

"What time are we going running tomorrow?" I ask.

"Well," Minho starts, looking over at me. "Since you did so well today, I've decided that you're running alone tomorrow, like the rest of us."

"Alone?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Yep. The rest of us run alone, so that we can cover as much of the Maze as possible. You did a lot better than I thought you would today, B. So I don't think you'll have a problem."

I scratch the back of my neck, "Thanks...I guess."

 I look back over to where Newt and Greenie were, but they're not there anymore. I look up and see Newt showing Greenie around, pointing out the different groups of people and their jobs. They round over to where Gally is still fighting, yet another smaller kid, and they stop. That is, before Gally throws the kid right into the Greenie. The Greenie lurches forward, almost falling, before he whips around to glare at Gally. I stand up and speed walk over to Newt, concern flooding my face.

Gally's eyes never leave the Greenie as he reches down and helps the kid he threw stand back up. "What do you say, Greenie?" Gally asks, his eyes playful. "Wanna see what you're made of?"

Newt places his hand on my waist slowly backing us up a bit, away from the fight.

"Greenie, Greenie." Someone starts the chant. The chant catches on and sooner than later, everyone is chanting. "Greenie, Greenie, Greenie, Greenie!" Newt chuckles slightly as he stares at the bewildered Greenie.

"He's gonna get hurt, Newt." I warn. 

"Oh, it's just some fun, love." Newt says, his breath reeking of alcohol. 

I laugh, "How much of Frypan's drink have you had?"

"Probably too much." Newt laughs, sending a sloppy kiss to my cheek. 

"Okay." Gally says, calming the crowd that has slowly formed a circle around. "All right." Newt and I join the circle, along with Alby, Minho, Fry, Winston, Jeff and Chuck. "The rules are simple, Greenie." Gally adjusts something on his wrist as he circles the new Greenie. "I try to push you out of the circle...you try to last more than five seconds." Gally has a smirk spread across his face. Laughter emerges from the crowd at the last part. "Ready?" Gally asks. The Greenie slightly nods. 

Gally runs forward, placing both of his hands on the Greenie's shoulders and shoving him backwards with so much force the Greenie goes barreling into three Gladers who then proceed to just shove him back into the circle, causing the Greenie to go headfirst into the sand. 

"How's that sand tasting, Greenie?" A voice shouts.

The Greenie whips around and glares at Gally. "Come on, Greenie!" Gally says, getting ready to fight again. "We're not done yet." Gally goes hopping backwards as the Greenie stands back up. 

"Stop calling me, Greenie." Greenie demands, shoving his shirt back down. 

"Stop calling you that?" Gally asks, obnoxiously. "What do you want to be called? Shank?"

Laughter erupts again from the crowd and I can't help but giggle along. Newt laughs loudly, his head tipping back and I can't help but stare at his gorgeous face. Chuck laughs the loudest, his eyes bright. I can't help but love the way everyone seems so happy, a completely opposite thing from the day. 

"What do you think, boys?" Gally continues. "Does he look like a shank?"

That's when Greenie runs forward and tries to shove Gally down, but he doesn't get too far. Gally puts his hands out and grabs Greenie's shoulders before he can get anywhere and they wrestle around for a while before Gally proceeds to throw him down again into the dirt. 

"You know what? I think I'm settled on shank." Gally smirks as Greenie shoves himself back up off the ground. 

Greenie goes after Gally again, running towards him and thrusting his arms around Gally's torso. Gally places his hands on Greenie's back and begins shoving him backwards. Greenie's feet trail through the sand as Gally runs him the opposite way he was trying to go. But then Greenie does some kind of turn and slams Gally into the sand. 

"Oh!" I yell out, covering my mouth with my hand and laughter rising from my lips. All the boys start yelling out "ohhhh!" in shock. 

Greenie stands up and shouts, "Not bad for a Greenie, huh?"

Then Gally turns on his back and kicks Greenie's legs out from under him. Greenie lands in the dirt right on his back, his head following it into the dirt. Greenie's face turns and he scrambles to his feet. "Thomas."

"What?" A voice comes from the silent crowd.

"Hey!" Greenie yells out. "I remember my name! I'm Thomas!"

Silence continues to take over the crowd as Thomas looks at all of our faces. Alby points over to Thomas and yells, "Thomas!" Then all the boys start whooping and hollering, surrounding Thomas with hugs. 

I run over and shake his hand, "Welcome to the Glade, Thomas."

Newt smiles widely, slapping him across the chest and handing him another mason jar full of Frypan's drink. Thomas grins and starts drinking from it. All the Gladers start yelling, "Yeah!"

"Good job...Thomas." Gally says, shaking Thomas' hand.