14 | Night Out in the Maze

"Thomas, hand me the vine." I say as I spot a part of the vine that's rooted into the ground.

Thomas hands me the vine and I start wrapping it around the rooted one. Thomas crawls out from under the vine and helps me secure it. I crawl out as well, looking all directions for Grievers. I pull on the vine holding Alby, making sure it will stay up.

"Come on, Thomas." I whisper, nervously as he ties the last bit of rope. The whirring echoes again, causing my entire body to jump. Thomas grabs me by the shirt and pulls me behind the corner, just as the whirring gets the loudest it's been. I press my back up against the vines and try to calm my breathing. I listen for the whirring to calm down...and it does. I grab the corner and pull myself out from behind it, looking for the Griever. It's gone. I turn around and nod to Thomas, who walks out and peers up at Alby, who's slightly swaying.

"We have to go, Brooke." Thomas says, looking up at Alby one last time before taking a sharp right turn and starting to walk cautiously. I follow him, looking in all directions and feeling my body not stop shaking.

"Thomas, what is that?" I ask, looking down at a gooey substance on the floor of the Maze. Thomas crouches down and sticks his finger in it. Just as he does so some more of the slime drops down onto his shoulder. I look up, slowly, and see a Griever inching its way down in between the walls of the Maze. "Thomas! Run!" I scream, backing away as fast as I can. My screams are masked by the loud screeching of the Griever as it drops the ground right in front of us. Thomas falls back as I start running backwards. Thomas scrambles to his feet and runs right on my heels for dear life. We take sharp turn after sharp turn, yelling out as my hands scrape against the concrete walls, cutting them even more. The Griever stays on our backs, its "legs" attaching themselves to the walls. We turn left, then right, left, left again, right, left, right. 

Then we hit dead end. My head whips around, in front of us it's dead end, to the left of us is also dead end.

"What do we do?" I yell out, tears forming in my eyes. 

"Trust me, okay?" Thomas says.

I nod and Thomas grabs my arm, pulling me towards the dead end wall, just as the Griever turns down the same way we are. Thomas runs at full speed, me right behind him, up onto a piece of shrapnel, jumping up and grabbing onto the vine. I follow him, grabbing onto the vine and pulling myself up, feeling the skin on my hands burning. We pull ourselves up onto the top of the Maze walls as the Griever never stops hunting us. 

"Run!" I yell at Thomas, who for some reason has stopped. Thomas takes off again, me running beside him as we jump from wall to wall. The Griever continues chasing after us, like we're food. We jump upwards of five feet across the walls. Each time my feet leave the concrete something in my head thinks, What if I don't make it to the other wall and just fall? And then my feet hit the other wall and I continue on. That is...until we hit a dead end, the walls stopping. 

"Woah!" Thomas yells out, the tips of his shoes going right over the edge. I grab his shirt, pulling him back onto the wall safely. We both turn to run back, but the Griever arrives, its mouth wide open, showing the several rows of razor-sharp teeth it has. It lets out a loud screech as Thomas and I scramble backwards. 

"We're going to have to jump!" Thomas yells over the Griever's screeches. 

"Are you insane?!" I yell out. 

"Just as insane as you are crazy!" Thomas yells before backing up a few steps, grabbing my arm, and taking off running for the opposite wall that stands at least eight or nine feet away. I feel the weight leave my body as I fly through the air, barreling towards the concrete wall. My body slaps against it, my arms out to catch the vine. I slide down the concrete a couple of feet before I get a good grip on the vine, holding myself still. I breathe heavily, trying to catch my breath as I shake violently. 

The Griever doesn't give up there. I look up and watch as it crawls to the edge and jumps down onto the wall that Thomas and I occupy. The Griever falls just a few feet below me, Thomas being above me. The Griever pulls back and ignites a needle-point filled with the Griever serum. 

"Brooke, move!" Thomas' yell reaches me just in time as the Griever slams the needle right next to my head. I move my head a couple of inches, almost feeling the coolness of the metal needle on my ear. I then realize something. I let go of the vines slightly, sliding down the wall, underneath the Griever, releasing me from it's lock hard grip. The Griever loses me underneath the vines and immediately goes for Thomas. The Griever picks and pries at him until Thomas can't hold on anymore.

"Hold on Thomas!" I scream, watching as his hands slowly slip from the vines. 

"I can't!" Thomas yells before he completely falls from the wall. As Thomas falls his leg kicks me in the chin, causing my grip to slip and me to go barreling down with him. We both fall hard onto the concrete, the Griever strung in the millions of vines. We take that as our opportunity. We take off running as the Griever tries to release itself from the vines. We run down and turn right, running right into something. 

"You crazy son of a bitch!" I yell out as I embrace Minho. 

Minho hugs me back, only for a short moment before yelling, "Come on, follow me!" He takes off running back in the direction he came from. Thomas and I follow him, right on his heels. We run down narrower halls turning in multiple different directions. "Okay, it's changing." Minho sighs, listening to the Maze change. "Come on, come on, come on!" Minho hurries us. We turn left and look down one way of the Maze. The walls of that way are slowly starting to shut. "This section is closing. We can lose it down here." Minho announces. 

I race after Minho, my arms pumping, my strides widening and my heart rate increasing as I listen to the walls closing in closer to me. We get to the end of the section and I turn back, realizing Thomas didn't follow us. 

"Thomas!" Minho and I scream at the same time. 

"What're you waiting for? Get out of there!" Minho yells. 

Thomas looks between us and the Griever crawling down the section in front of him. Once the Griever turns down, in Minho and I's sight, Thomas takes off after us. 

"Run faster Thomas!" I scream, watching the Maze section get closer and closer to being shut. 

"Runnnn!" Minho screams, drawing out the word. 

Thomas seemed to get the message as he widens his strides, pumping his arms faster and running at an uncontrollable speed. He runs so fast, the Griever only inches behind him. He turns sideways, trying to squeeze himself through. I reach out, grab his arms and pull him through, just as the section completely shuts, crushing the Griever inside.