4 | Try Outs

"Alright Brooke, rise and shine! Time to see if you're good at anything." A loud voice cheers. I squint my eyes open, letting out an apparent groan as morning has come a lot faster than I had hoped. Newt stands right over my bed, a smile spread brightly across his face.Last night was good. A lot more than good. Newt and I had a very deep conversation and I finally think I've made my first friend in the Glade. But being friends with him almost doesn't feel like enough. The connection to him has not faded, if anything it's increased. My body burns for him when I'm not either looking at him or with him.

"Come on, we're losin daylight!" Newt yells, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"It's barely even daylight." I groan, pulling myself out of bed.

"Be quiet you shank." Newt grins jokingly before turning and walking out of the Homestead, me at his heels.

***

"Where to first?" I ask, squinting as my eyes adjust to the morning light.

"Kitchen. Frypan thought you looked like the cooking type." He says, shoulder brushing against mine. I nod, falling into silence as we approach the kitchen.

"Hey Newt! Greenie! Ready to work?" Frypan calls, waving.

"Frypan!" I smile. "My name's Brooke." Frypan's eyes light up. "I told you I'd get back to you when I figured out my name."

"Brooke." Frypan looks me up and down. "It suites you."

I laugh and follow Newt to the kitchen, laughing as I watch him put on an apron.

"What?" He asks, face twisted in confusion.

"You look great Newt." I say, chuckling. He rolls his eyes, throwing me the frilliest one he could find.

"I'll have you know aprons are bloody manly. And mandatory in the kitchen. Now put that on and lets see what you've got." He says, grinning. I can't help but blush, his smile infectious. I clear my throat, turning away to face an empty pot in front of me.

"Okay B," Frypan clasps his hands together gazing at the pot and newly placed food in front of me. I look at him confused. "What? I had to find a nickname for you and I like it!" I laugh and he continues. "Anyways... you've got a recipe, ingredients, and a whole lotta gladers that are going to need feeding. Good luck!" And with that, Frypan was gone. I gulp, staring at the jumble of words on the page in front of me.

"Yes! Onion soup is my favorite." Newt says, looking over my shoulder. I try to focus on the instructions, but I can barely think with Newt standing so close, his body just inches away. Thankfully, he turns, walking around to the eating area.

"So you must have had to try this to, where do I start? I'm confused." I say.

"Sorry shank, I'm not allowed to help. I'm just here to make sure you don't set the kitchen on fire." He chuckles, winking. I blush once again, setting to work on the piles of herbs in front of me.

"Soup. I can do this. It's just soup." I mumble to myself.

***

"Oh my god." I mumble, trying to contain my laughter.

Newt's face contorts in a look of disgust as he looks down in the deep pot, staring at the "soup" I had attempted to make. "How the bloody hell do you burn soup?" Newt asks, also trying to keep down his laughter.

The kitchen doors open someone begins coughing, "What's that smell?" Frypan asks, lifting the collar of his shirt up to cover his mouth and nose.

"This shank burned the soup." Newt chuckles, shoving me in the shoulder.