23 | The Invasion

My heart drops, my eyes almost immediately filling up with slight tears. Not because I'm sad, but because I'm terrified. If the doors don't close, any Griever has access to the Glade. I take off running towards the doors.

"Brooke!" Newt yells after me, but I don't stop. I hear Newt running after me, along with most of the Gladers, towards the doors.

When we arrive, a good amount of the Gladers have formed a type of half circle around the mouth of the Maze. Newt pushes his way through, along with me, Thomas, Frypan, Minho, Teresa, and Gally. My hand finds Newt's, almost holding onto it for dear life.

A loud banging noise clamps down on us, causing all of us to cover our ears and causing me to let go of Newt to cover mine. Thomas is the only one who notices what happens next. He whips his head around, peering darkly at something behind us. I follow his gaze and suddenly realize that the doors on the opposite end of the Glade are opening. Then the same sound comes again, the East doors opening wide. Then, for the third time, the sound echoes through the Glade. The last doors opening. 

Silence falls over us as wide, terrified eyes switch between the doors. I look over at Newt, my eyes completely and utterly unreadable. Newt looks over at me, fear seeping out of his. 

"Chuck," Thomas starts, being the only one to talk for a while. "I want you to go to the Council Hall and start barricading the doors."

Newt's eyes don't leave mine as he says, "Winston, go with him."

"Okay." Winston answers, his voice shaky as he takes off after Chuck. 

Gally turns to someone I can't see through the darkness, yelling "Get the others! Tell them to go to the forest and hide...now!"

"Minho," Thomas says, basically taking the control over the entire situation. "I want you to go and find all the weapons you can possible."

I stare, utterly shocked and scared, watching the rest of the Gladers running in all directions. My eyes search and land on Newt, who's about to go with Minho and Frypan to get weapons. I haven't moved from my original spot, flashbacks of the night I came face to face with one of those deadly creatures, reoccurring in my head. 

"Brooke! Come on!" Newt yells, a few yards a way from me. 

His voice sounds weird. Like it's far far away, or underwater or something. His words echo through my mind and I know I should move. I know I have to move. But my legs feel like jelly and they stay put. 

"B, come on!" Frypan yells over at me. Minho starts yelling at me as well, all three of them turning back to run at me. 

But it's not their yells that pull me out of the trance I'm in. It's the yells from the Gladers behind them. 

"No!"

"Go back! Go back!"

"They're coming!"

Then that awful, dreaded screech that comes from only one type of creature on this Earth, echoes through the mouth of the Maze I'm standing at. 

"Alright, everybody hide!" Thomas screams, running off into the higher grass, grabbing Teresa as he goes. 

Newt stops attempting to get me to move, once his eyes land on the Griever, he starts shoving and pushing me towards Frypan and Minho. 

"Brooke! Snap out of it and bloody run!" Newt yells in my face at the top of his lungs. 

It was like someone had thrown a bucket of ice cold water on the top of my head. My legs seemed to all of the sudden work again and before I knew it I was running for my life alongside Newt, Minho and Frypan.

"Run!" 

"Go!" 

"Hide!" 

These three words are being shouted from different places in the Glade, by different members of it. In the panic of running for our lives, Minho, Frypan, Newt and I run into another group of Gladers running. That's when I see it. The Griever. It's not far behind the last member of the group we just ran into. Newt looks around the group, panicking slightly, before grabbing me by the arm and shoving me into the forest. 

"What're you-?" I start asking, but Newt cuts me off, shoving me down onto the ground and covering my mouth with his hand. 

My eyes search his face for any type of hope left in it. I can't find any. We had finally found a way out. Finally. After all this time. And it just so happens that the day we happened to find that exit, the Grievers get inside the Glade. The screeches echo throughout the Glade. Newt lies on top of me, camouflaging us into the tall grass. Frypan and Minho, along with the group of Gladers we ran into join us, crouching down beside us. 

Then...utter silence. You could have heard a pin drop within the Glade. Utter and complete silence. Every now and then a blood curdling scream would pierce our ears, along with the screeches of the Grievers. 

And then I see it. The spidery claw that haunts my dreams, levitating above our group. No one else seems to notice, but I grab onto Newt's hand, that is covering my mouth, and try to get him to look. I move my eyes in that direction, but he just holds me down more. I try to move and he thinks I'm being stubborn, wanting to get up. The claw moves over a blonde, curly headed boy, shooting downwards, catching everyones attention finally and letting Newt release me, and taking the boy with him.

"Troye!" Frypan yells, jumping out to the place the boy just disappeared from. 

"No, Fry!" I yell, grabbing him by the arm and pulling him back with us. 

"Go!" Newt yells, standing up and running backwards. 

I scramble to my feet, turning around and chasing after Newt, Minho and the rest of the group. I turn and see Frypan struggling on the ground. I look between the group ahead of me, where Newt is yelling and screaming for me to come on, and Frypan, one of my first friends ever in the Glade, struggling to get up and run. 

Then I make my choice. 

I run back to Frypan, crouching down next to him. I grab his arm and try to pull him to his feet, but he's not budging. 

"Fry!" I yell, trying to get his attention. 

Frypan glances at me, through the tears flooding down his cheeks, and that's when I remember. Troye and Frypan were best friends. They both worked in the kitchen together and were basically inseparable. 

"Fry, we have to go!" I say, trying to be as comforting as possible at this life-or-death moment. 

"No!" Frypan cries, burying his face in his hands.

"Siggy!" I yell, calling him by his real name for the first time ever. 

This catches Frypan's attention. He lifts his head, peering over at me, now getting that I'm serious.

I take a deep breath, checking our surroundings. "If we don't move now, we will both die!" I yell.

Frypan, with tears still falling, nods. I scramble to my feet, offering my hand out to him. He takes it and pulls himself up, running with me away from the forest.