26 | The Slammer

"This is stupid!" I yell kicking the dirt beneath my feet as I send a stone cold glare at the faces staring back at me, through the gate made out of bark. 

Ever since I punched Gally in the face, after Thomas injected himself with the Griever venom, they locked me up in The Slammer. They decided I needed to stay here until I calmed down...which obviously hasn't happened yet. 

"I mean...Gally's not locked up and he punched Thomas!" I yell looking through the holes in the gate that separates me from Newt, Minho and Frypan. 

"Yeah, but B..." Frypan starts. "You've been acting real weird since the Griever attack."

"Weird?" I raise my eyebrows, almost astonished at what Frypan just said. "I think I reacted perfectly normal for the circumstances!"

Frypan sighs, "Look, I'm just trying to look out for you...and if locking you up until you calm down is the best thing...than so be it." 

"But it's not!" I yell back. "...Or maybe it is. But I don't see how any of this is even remotely fair." I argue.

"Well, if you don't think this is fair, why'd you punch Gally in the first place?" Minho questions.

"Because!" I yell. "He persuaded Thomas to inject himself with deadly venom!"

"He never persuaded Thomas." Newt comments.

"Well, maybe not technically. But he guilt-tripped him!" I point out, glancing between the three boys.

"Can you give us a second?" Newt mumbles towards Minho and Frypan. 

They nod and both scurry up and walk away.

"Why'd you make them leave?" I ask, my hands grasping the bars between Newt and I.

"Why're you so bloody concerned about Thomas?" Newt asks, his eyes going hard.

"Because he's my friend, Newt!" I argue. "I would be doing the same thing if it was Fry or Minho!"

"No, I don't think so." Newt mumbles, his eyes dropping.

"Wait," I mumble, my defensive demeanor falling as a smirk appears on my face. "are you jealous?"

Newt's head whips up and his eyes widen slightly, "W-what, no!"

"Yeah." I giggle. "Someone's jealous!" I mock, making Newt's face go red.

"I'm not!" Newt refuses. "I just merely want to know why you're so concerned with him."

"Because you're jealous." I finish for him.

"No." Newt says, getting slightly frustrated. 

"Newt." I demand, reaching through the bars that separate us. I grab his hand in mine, holding it warmly. "I don't have feelings for Thomas." I say. I visibly see Newt relax, even though he tries not to make it obvious. "I love you, Newt. Not Thomas. I love him differently." Newt looks up at me, confusion crossing his face. "I love him like a brother. I love you like a soul-mate." I say, giving his hand a squeeze. "You have my heart, Newt. Forever." A smile forms on his lips. "So don't think that for one second I would just not love you anymore. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever come in between us, Newt. I mean it."

Newt tries to hide the smile that tugs his lips upwards, but he finally gives into it, leaning in and planting a kiss on my forehead. "I love you." Newt whispers into my skin. A smile expresses on my lips as I realize something. My mood has completely gone down. I will say this once and I will say it again, Newt has that kind of affect on me. He knows how to calm me down, how to make me feel loved. Everything. He knows me. 

"Guys," A voice comes from the other cell next to mine. I turn my head a find the owner of the voice. Teresa. "He's awake." Teresa says, at the now very awake Thomas that's lying in her lap. I walk through my cell and to the wall that separates our two cells, peering through the wholes. Newt, joins Chuck and Minho who are sitting against the door of the cell.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck exclaims. 

Thomas leans up, surprised that everyone was watching him so intently. "What happened?"

"You're an idiot, is what happened." I answer, leaning against the wall. 

Thomas meets my gaze. "Why're you locked up?"

"I punched Gally." I sigh. 

Thomas' eyes widen. 

"Gally's taking control." Newt explains. "He said we had a choice."

"Newt, you didn't tell me this." I furrow my eyebrows. 

Newt nods, "Either join him or get banished at sundown with Thomas."

"Who agreed with that?" Thomas asks, pulling himself up off the ground.

I laugh, defeatedly. "Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason that all this has happened."

"Well," Thomas sighs. "he's been right so far."

"What're you talking about?" Minho asks. 

"This place. It's not what we thought it was." Thomas answers, looking only at the ground. "It's not a prison, it's a test." Thomas finally looks up, scanning over the three boys crouched outside his cell and then over to me and Teresa. "It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges, they were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clock-work."

"Sending them up into the Maze." Newt realizes. 

"Yeah," Thomas nods. "but not all of us."

"What do you mean?" I ask, listening intently.

"I'm one of them." Thomas answers, not baring to look any of us in the eyes. "The people who put you here. I worked with them. I-I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here I...I was on the other side of it." Thomas' eyes find Teresa. "So were you."

"What?" Teresa asks, sounding on the verge of tears.

"Teresa, we did this to them." Thomas says, nodding towards us. 

Teresa starts shaking her head, a few tears escaping her eyes. "No. It can't be true."

Newt runs his hand over his face, obviously frustrated with the situation. I watch him, worriedly, about what he's going to choose to do.

"It is." Thomas replies. "I saw it."

"Why would they send us up if we were with them?" Teresa asks, still clearly upset. 

Thomas shakes his head, "It doesn't matter."

Newt sighs, "He's right."

My eyebrows furrow as my grip on the wooden bars becomes increasingly painful. 

"It doesn't matter." Newt shakes his head. "Any of it." Newt runs his hand through his hair. "Those people we were before the Maze, they don't even exist anymore. These creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now, and what we do right now." Newt looks right at Thomas. "You went into the Maze and found a way out."

"Yeah, but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive." Thomas argues. 

Newt swallows hard, "Maybe. But I know that if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing." Newt grips the bars. "Pick your ass up and finish what you started. Cause if we do nothing, then that means Alby died for nothing and I can't have that."

Thomas nods, "Okay."

"One slight problem." I say. "We gotta get through Gally first."