28 | The Griever Hole

The Runners are leading, by obvious reasons. Thomas has the lead, followed closely by Minho. Teresa is the next person. I could easily be closer to the front, but I'm keeping my pace at Newt's. I know how hard it is for him to come back into the Maze, so I want to be with him each and every step through it. Frypan is right behind us, followed by everyone else. 

"This way!" Thomas yells back to us as we make a sharp left turn. 

We pass by a large, red number 3 painted on the Maze wall. 

"Keep it up guys, we're almost there!" Thomas yells back encouragingly. 

We enter the Blade and that's when I turn to Newt. "You okay?" I ask.

Newt looks over at me. "Don't worry about me, love." Newt flashes a large smile, one that I see right through. I know he's scared. I know he's nervous and so am I.

But I smile back at him anyway. 

We come upon the tunnel of section 4. Thomas runs over, pressing his back against the cement wall, all of us following him, as he peers over into the tunnel.

"Is there a Griever?" Chuck asks. 

"Yeah." Thomas nods. 

"Shit." I mumble, grabbing onto Newt's arm. 

Newt looks down at the sudden contact and then makes eye contact with me. He leans over, kissing me on the cheek. "We're gonna make it through this."

"I love you." I say, staring straight at the tunnel entrance. 

"I love you too." Newt whispers in my ear. "Don't ever forget that."

"Take this Chuck." Minho hands Chuck the device we found inside the Griever. "And stay behind us."

Chuck takes the device, hesitantly. 

"It's okay, Chuck." Teresa nods. "Just stick with me."

Thomas leans in. "Once we get through, it'll activate and the door will open. Alright, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now... or we die trying." Thomas' eyes scan over all over us. I get my machete out, holding out in front of me and I graze my hand against the multiple knives tucked tightly in my waistband. "Ready?" Thomas asks. "Alright." 

"LET'S GO!" 

We all take off running into the tunnel, yelling and shouting as we go. The Griever at the end of the tunnel notices us. It turns, screeching and snarling as we run straight for it. Thomas is leading, with everyone that has a spear running next to him. We meet the Griever. The spears slam into the Grievers, throwing it backwards. 

"Push it!" Thomas screams as he realizes that we need to push it off the side of the tunnel floor. 

They continue prying at the Griever, but the Griever has other ideas. The Grievers tail barrels up and the spikes come out. 

"Duck!" I scream out. 

Everyone obliges to my order and ducks, just as the Griever's tail swings past our heads. The Griever obviously saw this move coming and grabs onto a darker-skinned boy named Asher, throwing him up and off the side of the floor. 

The boys with the spears continue trying their hardest to push the Griever over the edge. One of the Grievers legs goes flying through the air and I see it's next move before it happens. I jump to the side, colliding with Minho as I do. The Griever's leg slams down right where I was just standing, cracking the floor. I swing my machete, giving the Griever as very nice and painful nick in the leg. The Griever screeches out, pulling back from us, giving the boys a chance to push it right over the edge. With a few whirs and screeches, the Grievers falls. 

"Thomas!" Chuck's voice echoes throughout the tunnel. Our gazes find him and Teresa running for their lives from two other Grievers, who are heading our way. 

I run forward, slamming my machete into the Griever on the right. The Griever lets out a loud screech, stumbling backwards, but nevertheless recuperates in about .3 seconds and is back, fighting full force. Teresa and Chuck run right past us, the device in their hands. 

I start to panic slightly as I look around and can't find Newt. My eyes widen and gloss over as I continue fighting the Griever in front of me, but in the back of my mind I can't shake the fact that I don't have my eyes on Newt. 

"I'm right here, love!" Newt's voice comes from my right as he uses his spear to shove the Griever back some more. 

Teresa and Chuck use the device to open the concrete doors. We start backing up, shoving the Grievers back as much as possible. One boy, who I don't now the name of, runs forward and shoves his spear into the Griever. The Griever grabs the boy by his legs and throws him about twenty feet in the air and straight over the edge. 

"Thomas!" Teresa's voice comes from behind us. "The code! It's eight numbers!" 

As I slam my knife into the second Grievers leg I realize. "Minho! What's the sequence!" I scream.

Minho realizes what I'm getting at as well and starts yelling out the numbers. "Seven! One! Five! Two! Six! Four!.."

"Move!" Newt's voice rings through my ears as he shoves me backwards and I land on my back, back towards Teresa and Chuck. I look and see a Griever planted right where I was just standing. But somethings underneath it. "Minho!" I scream, scrambling to my feet. 

The only thing separating Minho from the Griever needle-like teeth is the wooden spear in his hands. Jeff runs forward, stabbing the Griever in the eye with his spear. The Griever bites onto Jeff's stomach, devouring him in seconds. 

"Minho! The sequence!" Chuck yells from behind us. 

"Four! Eight! Three!" Minho yells 

Suddenly a bright green light blares throughout the tunnel. The concrete doors start shutting, crushing the Grievers with it. Newt has a very strong arm out in front of me, his machete out, but he relaxes. 

And then, the circle door shuts, leaving us in pitch darkness.