27 | The Escape Plan

The plan was in action. All up until this point. I stand against the door of my cell in The Slammer, frustration taking over my whole body. 

"What do you mean, they're not going to let me out?" I whisper, my head close to Newt's as he crouches down next to my cell.

"Gally's really pissed at you." Newt sighs. "He wants to banish you with Thomas and Teresa."

"What?" I ask, my whispering turning into yelling.

"Shh!" Newt whispers.

"That wasn't part of the plan!" I argue. 

"I know." Newt sighs. "Don't worry. Everything will workout, I promise. I won't let them touch you."

"Newt!" A strong, angry voice comes from behind Newt. Newt turns around quickly, finding Gally and four other guys marching towards us. "Get away from her."

Newt's face lights up with anger, but obliges and steps away from my cell. Three of the guys walk over to Thomas and Teresa's cell, opening it up and carrying them out. Gally and the last guy come to mine. 

Gally squats down in front of my face. "What a shame." Gally sighs, running his fingers over my cheek. "You really are a very pretty one."

I can hear Newt growling from a few yards away, but I glare at him and he stops. 

Gally reaches down and opens up my cell. The guy he brought along with him, pulls me out of the cell and grabs my arms, twisting them behind my back and holding them in a very painful place. 

"You know you could at least hold my arms at a more comfortable spot." I smirk.

"Shut up." Gally barks as he starts walking back for the mouth of the Maze.

I walk awkwardly, nervousness running through my veins. What if this doesn't work? What if I actually get thrown into the Maze without Newt? What if someone dies? What if I die? What if Newt dies? 

I see Teresa ahead, who has someone holding her arms behind her back as well. Thomas, who is acting unconscious, is held up by two guys. The two guys throw him to the ground, a crowd of Gladers forming around the scene. The guy holding me brings me around Thomas, standing the closest to the Maze mouth. 

"Gally," Winston's voice comes from the crowd of Gladers. "this doesn't feel right, man."

"Yeah, what if Thomas is right?" Jeff agrees. "Maybe he can lead us home."

"We are home." Gally argues, anger forming in his eyes. "Okay? I don't want to have to cross anymore names off that wall."

Frustration builds within me, "You really think banishing us is going to magically solve all of your problems, shuckface?" 

I see the anger cross over Gally's face, but he ignores it. "No." He answers.

"What do you mean?" Teresa asks.

"It's an offering." 

The guy holding Teresa ties her up against one of the three poles sticking out of the ground near the Maze mouth. 

"What're you doing?" Teresa asks, urgently. 

"You really think I'm going to let Thomas back into the Maze after what he's done?" Gally questions. "Look around you! Look at our Glade!" Gally points to the area of the Glade that's still smoking from the fires last night. "This is the only way. And when the Grievers get what they came her for, everything goes back to the way it was."

"You're crazy." I laugh. "Nothing will ever go back to the way it was." I mock him. 

Teresa pitches in. "If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back."

"They're going to come back and they're going to keep coming back until you're all dead." I finish for her.

"Shut up!" Gally yells, getting in my face. "Tie him up!" Gally points to Thomas but is referring to both Thomas and I.

The two Gladers that carried Thomas over here bend down and each pick up one of his arms. That's when Thomas elbows one of them in the groin, hitting the other one upside the head. I turn around quickly, kneeing my captor in the abdomen, punching him in the jaw and shoving him back towards Gally. Newt has fought his way over to me as well and Frypan has cut Teresa down from the pole. Minho holds a knife at Gally as he makes his way over to us and Chuck runs over to us with our supplies. Frypan comes over to me, handing me a matching machete to Newt's. 

"You're full of surprises, aren't you." Gally sighs. 

Thomas shakes his head. "You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving."

I clear my throat, "Anyone else who wants to come, now is your last chance."

"Don't listen to them!" Gally fights back. "They're just trying to scare you."

"No," Thomas objects. "We're not trying to scare you. You're already scared. Alright? I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of it in here. We don't belong here." Thomas continues. "This place isn't our home. We were put here. Okay? We're trapped here. At least out there we have a choice. We can make it out of here. I know that."

Once Thomas finishes ranting, Winston starts walking over to us, followed by Jeff. A few other Gladers, who I don't know the names of, follow them. 

"Gally, it's over." I yell out. "But you can come with us."

Gally looks up, surprised at my offer to him. I can sit it in him that he wants to come. He wants to join us. But he's scared. Scared of change...scared of the unknown. "Good luck against the Grievers."

I furrow my eyebrows, shocked that he said no to my offer. "Alright." I mumble, nodding. 

"Let's go." Newt whispers, patting me on the back and turning into the Maze with everybody else. 

I turn, stealing one last glance of the Glade, before running into the Maze. Running to what may be my impending death.