16 | Meeting

I shift my weight from my left to my right foot as I impatiently wait for the meeting to start. Last night, Thomas, Minho, Alby and I got back to the Glade after multiple near death experiences. Gally fought with Newt and Minho all night long about punishing Thomas and I. I broke the "Don't go into the Maze at night." rule. And Thomas broke the plain rule of going into the Maze at all. Newt obviously fought back, saying that we just wanted to help and that the important thing is that we made it out alive. They decided on holding a meeting. A meeting that will decide Thomas and I's future in the Glade. All the Gladers sit along the rows in the Homestead, all the Keepers standing behind Gally. Thomas and I sit on display for everyone, behind Gally. 

"Things are changing." Gally says, grabbing everyones attention. 

A united mumble of "Yeah"'s come from the crowd. 

"There's no denying that." Gally continues. "First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight." 

Awful memories come flooding back of the first time I actually ran and feared for my life. The day I thought my friend was going to murder me. 

Gally coughs slightly, "And then Alby." Gally turns slowly, his head low and eyes glaring as his sight lands on us. "And now our Greenie's here, have taken it upon themselves to go into the Maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Gally, I'm a Runner." I argue, standing from my sitting position. "I'm supposed to go into the Maze."

"Not at night." Gally argues back. 

"Gally!" I yell, it coming out with a slight laugh. "I was trying to save them! Which...if you all haven't noticed yet...I did!" 

"They saved Alby's life." Frypan adds, staring right at Gally.

"Did they?" Gally questions. 

I watch as Newt's body language changes, anger radiating off of him. He cocks his head back slightly, his eyes turning dark as he stares back at Gally. 

Gally continues his little rant, "For three years, we have co-existed with these things." My eyebrows furrow as I realize he's talking about the Grievers. "And now," Gally turns to Thomas. "You've killed one." He turns back around, addressing everyone. "Who knows what that could mean for us."

"What do you suggest we do?" Newt asks, his voice laced with sarcasm, seeing as he's Second-in-Command and actually should be calling all the shots here. 

"They have to be punished!" Gally says.

An uproar comes from the rest of the Gladers, arguing against what Gally just said. 

"Minho." Newt says loudly, calming everyone down. "You were in there with them. What do you think?"

"I think..." Minho starts, his eyes wandering over all the Keepers. "in all the time we've been here no ones ever killed a Griever before." Minho's eyes drops to the ground. "When I turned tail and ran...these two dumb shanks stayed behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if they're brave...or stupid, but whatever it is, we need more of it." 

"I say we make Thomas a Runner." I stand my ground. 

All eyes are now on me...confused eyes.

"A Runner?" Frypan asks. Whispers surface from everyone as they start voicing their opinions. 

"Brooke, you can't just name someone a Runner." Gally argues. 

"I know I can't. But I am one...and I can recommend another one." I say raising my eyebrows. "Minho?" 

Minho's eyes haven't left me as the corners of his mouth turn upwards, "I agree."

"Woah, let's not jump the gun here." Frypan suggests along with multiple other Keepers arguing as well.

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck starts the chant, but no one follows. 

"If you want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine!" Gally yells, his face contorting in anger. "Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the Maze, it is that you do not-"

A loud crackling noise fills our ears, causing Gally to fall silent. My body stiffens as Newt's eyes immediately find mine. Newt glances over at Gally before he takes off outside. 

"Newt!" I yell, running after him. My heart pounds in my chest as I realize I have no idea what's happening. Newt's bolting outside, where a Griever could be standing there, waiting for him. Or the Maze...Or some dangerous creature. 

Gally catches up with me and the rest of the Gladers follow close behind as we follow Newt. I watch as an indent in the ground starts rising. 

"It's the Box." I mumble, catching up with Newt. 

Newt and Gally reach down and pull open the doors, Gally jumping in. 

"Gally, what do you see?" Someone asks. 

Gally looks up at us, his eyes finding mine. "It's another girl." 

I furrow my eyebrows and look down at her. She has dark hair that is slightly wavy. Her skin is light and there's something in her hand. 

"Is she dead?" I ask.

"What's in her hand?" Newt asks, peering downwards. 

Gally crouches down and pulls out a piece of paper and reads, "She's the last one...ever."

"What the hell does that mean?" Newt questions.

Suddenly a loud gasp comes from the girl, causing everyone to jump back slightly. My heart pounds in my chest as Newt's hand immediately flies out in front of me, protecting me. 

"Thomas." The girl gasps out before her eyes roll backwards and she goes unconscious. 

All eyes are on Thomas, as everyone wonders silently how the two of them know each other. 

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally questions.