17 | Going Back Into Hell

I duck my head into the Homestead, my eyes wandering about. I've only been in this part of it when Ben attacked me. 

I hear groaning coming from one of the rooms and I peer my head into the door, looking around. On the cot lays Alby, his body sweating and shaking as his restraints hold him down. He groans out as he shakes the cot underneath him. 

I look past the door and into the room the new girl occupies. Newt, Minho, Thomas, and Jeff already fill it.

"Brooke?" Jeff asks.

"I came to check on her." I say, pushing my way through the three boys and peering down at her. Newt watches me carefully. "Has she woken up yet?"

"No." Jeff answers.

"Do you recognize her?" Newt asks Thomas. 

"No." Thomas shakes his head. 

"Really?" Newt asks, his voice rising. "Because she seemed to recognize you."

"Newt.." I warn, my eyes softening. Newt's eyes find mine and I give him the 'calm down' look.

"What about the note?" Thomas asks, trying desperately to change the subject.

"We'll worry about the note later." Newt mumbles.

"I think we should worry about it now." Thomas argues.

I sigh loudly, running my hand through my hair as I realize Thomas is just pressuring Newt more...angering him more.

"We have enough to deal with right now!" Newt argues, his voice rising to a yell.

"He's right, Newt." Jeff interjects. "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"

Newt's jaw clenches, "No one said that. Let's not jump to any conclusions...we're just.." Newt's eyes drop again. "We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's got to have some bloody answers around here."

Thomas looks around at us before mumbling, "Okay." And walking out. 

"Thomas, where are you going?" I yell after him.

"Back into the Maze." Thomas answers, not turning around. 

Newt looks up at Minho and I before nodding towards the door. I take off after him, Minho right behind me.

"Hey, Thomas!" I yell after him, running to catch up with him. Thomas doesn't stop.

"Hey!" Minho yells, placing his hand on Thomas' chest, stopping him. "What is this with you? A death wish? You just got out...now you want back in?"

Thomas sighs, "Newt said that no ones ever seen a Griever and lived to tell about it, right? Well, now we have one! You're telling me the two of you aren't just a little bit curious."

"Not really, no." Minho answers.

I quiet down slightly, and they both look at me. "What?" I ask.

"Well?" Thomas asks.

"I am. I'm a little bit curious." I confess. I tip my low and drop my voice. "So what's the plan?"

Thomas smiles slightly. "I think it's time we find out what we're really up against."

Minho nods, "Alright. You two aren't going back out there alone." 

I feel the corners of my mouth tug up as I look over at Minho. 

"Meet in the woods in half an hour." Minho says, before walking off. 

Thomas couldn't hide the happiness in his face. But it goes away slightly as his eyes fall on something.