Icy warmth

When Mikiko first stepped into the village, a jounin greeted them.

"So I see that the mission was a success, eh?" A man with messy brown hair and red stripes on his cheeks. A huge white dog barked.

Shikamaru nodded. "Mizyuaki, this is Inuzuka Kiba, and that is Akamaru. Kiba, this is Mizuyaki Mikiko."

"Morning, Inuzuka," Mikiko said.

Kiba shot a confused glance at Sasuke. Temari spoked, "Mizuyaki treats those that she just know formally."

"Oh," Kiba gave her a grin. "Hey there then, Mizuyaki. You'll love it here at Konoha!"

At least Kiba had the sense to address her as her last name.

Mikiko nodded. She didn't care if she loved it at Konoha or not. She was just going to earn enough money, then set out again. She could never stay at one place for long- she simply wasn't welcome.

As the four walked on after bidding goodbye to Kiba, Mikiko took in her surroundings. The streets were jostling with activity, with people buying and selling items, people helping each other, and being friendly overall.

Is this how a warm village fills like? Mikiko can't help but wonder. An old lady from the fruit stall smiled at them and her smile widened when she saw Mikiko.

"I see you brought back Mikiko!" The lady said. Shikamaru and Temari anticipated the icy saying of addressing her in her last name.

Mikiko gave a half smile. So, Sasuke thought. She respects her elders.

"You look just like your mother," the fruit seller gush. "I remember when you were a baby! And now you've grown to be such a lovely little lady. I see that you have learn the biwa! Maybe you can play at the center square."

Mikiko bowed her head. Shikamaru nodded. "We must be on our way now; the hokage is waiting."

"Of course!" The fruit seller smiled fondly. "Tell Lord Naruto to stop eating so much ramen and opt for a healthier diet!"

"Lord Naruto?" Sasuke scoffed once they were out of earshot. "Ridiculous."

Temari shrugged. "Naruto has come a long way from that squirt he was, so give him the credit he deserves."

A blue haired woman carried a basket, walking in the hokage tower. She smiled when she saw them. "Shikamaru, Temari, Sasuke," Hinata softly said. "You have returned."

Temari nodded. "Hinata, this is Mizuyaki Mikiko. Mizuyaki, this is Hyuuga Hinata, the co-head of the Hyuuga clan."

"Hyuuga," Mikiko addressed. "Nice to meet you."

Hinata smiled. "Nice to meet you too, Mizuyaki."

"You're bringing food to Naruto?" Shikamaru asked.

Hinata blushed. "Naruto-kun works hard and forgets to eat. I'm bringing a bento for his lunch later on."

They walked up the stairs to the hokage's office and Shikamaru rapped the door. "Come in!" A cheerful voice said.

"Hinata!" Naruto stood up and pecked her cheek, earning a blush from Hinata. Taking the basket, Naruto looked in to find ramen. "Wow, ramen! Man, Hinata, you're the best!"

Hinata's blush deepened. Mikiko wondered why did Hinata blush so much. The hokage was just a man with blonde hair and blue eyes, nothing special. Then again, Mikiko did not get feelings.

"So you brought Mikiko!" Naruto's grin widened, ushering them to take a seat.

"Mizuyaki please, Lord hokage," Mikiko informed.

Naruto waved his hand. "Nah, no Lord hokage, it makes me sound so old! Just Naruto will be fine."

"Well, you are a dobe," Sasuke muttered. Naurto smiled, kicking his best friend's shin under the table.

"So, Mizuyaki, you would need an apartment right?" Naruto asked, opening his folder.

Mikiko nodded.

"I have one for you, nicely furnished and the rent is not so expensive either." Naruto wrote something down on a piece of paper and handed a key to Mikiko. "Since you are not a shinobi, I would send you an amount of money per month enough for you daily necessaries and rent."

"It's not so much, so you should have a part time job," Shikamaru said.

"Sasuke, you can be her guide," Naurto said. "Since her apartment is next to yours!"

***

A week later, life is somewhat stable.

Mikiko lives in her two room flat, one room for her own and another for storage. She did find a job, working every even day in the Yamanaka flower shop. She was walking home after lunch when she stopped by the Academy, where children were playing.

A crowd of little children were playing as it was their break. They stopped when they saw Mikiko. A small group ran to her. "Hello, pretty lady!" a girl cried. "Can you play the biwa?"

Mikiko nodded, a bit surprised that these children were talking to her.

"Can you play a song for us?" a little boy asked.

Mikiko hesitated. The girl tugged her hand. "Please?" Mikiko nodded and allowed the children to pull her to a bench where she sat down, taking her biwa out.

The children sat in front of her, looking up at her with their huge innocent eyes. Mikiko began plucking the strings.

"Chii chii pappa chii pappa," Mikiko sang.

"Suzume no gakkou no sensei wa."

The children smiled and clapped their hands to the rhythm of the song.

"Muchi o furi furi chii pappa,

seito no suzume wa wa ni natte."

Mikiko remembered when her teacher, Hanare, taught her this song when Mikiko was thirteen. Hanare told her this was the song of the sparrow's school, the melody like the sound of fluttering wings.

"O kuchi o soroete chii pappa,

madamada ikenai chii pappa."

Hanare sensei often spoke about a man who taught her how to deal with lonliness by looking at the clouds, finding shapes and listening to your call. Hanare also told Mikiko that man had a choice to kill her, because Hanare was a spy, but that man gave let Hanare go.

Hanare told Mikiko that she was happy being a musician, no longer a spy. It was tiring, betraying villages and fishing for information.

"Mo ichido isshou ni chii pappa,

chii chii pappa chii pappa."

The children clapped, smiling. "Will you come again next week?" the boy asked.

"Yes," Mikiko said.

"Yeah!" the children shouted.

"What's your name?" the girl asked.

"Mizuyaki Mikiko."

"See you next week, Mikiko-sama!" the children waved. "Bye!"

Mikiko waved back and walked out of the Academy, where Sasuke stood. He smirked. "So. Who knew Miss Mizuyaki had a soft spot for both children and the elderly?"

Mikiko flushed. "Shut up, Uchiha."