Ice vs determination

Presents, as Sasuke found out, did not work on Mikiko.

But he didn't give up. No, not yet.

Something at the back of Sasuke's mind is nagging at him; why was he doing as much to make Mikiko fall for him? His state of mind argued it was for the mission; to bring trust back to the Uchiha clan. But the back of his mind retorted that he didn't do it solely for the mission; it was also for personal gain.

He was intrigued by Mikiko. She was the most interesting female with an attitude that Sasuke had ever met. Of course, for them, it was hate at first meeting, but that was what made them attracted to each other; how they clashed and how they secretly enjoyed to their interactions.

That just gave Uchiha Sasuke more reasons to win over Mizuyaki Mikiko.

***

"What part of 'no' don't you understand, Sasuke?" Mikiko asked through gritted teeth.

"I don't give up."

"... Want me to send another brainwaves through your thick head?"

"What you going to do, play me a pretty tune?"

"For the last time!" Mikiko shouted, whirling around to glare at Sasuke. "No means-"

When Mikiko started shouting, a piece of flaming log flew out of a shop's window, heading directly for Mikiko's head. Sasuke, without thinking much, tackled her to the ground, cutting her off mid sentence.

"What the hell-" Mikiko's voice trailed off when she saw the flaming log just where she was standing earlier. A man from the shop rushed out with a bucket of water, dousing the water while apologizing profusely.

When the man has left, Sasuke transferred his weight to his forearms resting on the floor, looking straight into Mikiko's eyes. "You okay?"

Mikiko felt herself falling into the depths of the black oceans of his eyes. She was drowning into him, and she couldn't swim out. It was dangerous, to be falling for Uchiha Sasuke, but yet it didn't stop Mikiko from further exploring there.

"Y-yeah," Mikiko lowered her eyes.

Sasuke, with a grunt, pushed himself off her and offered her his hand. To Mikiko, accepting his hand is almost as if letting him in her life, as if she trusted him. Can I trust you? Trust was like a cliff. You have to take your chances and jump. And there is no telling if this 'trust' ends as a bed of roses, or if this 'trust' ends as a dangerous pit.

Mikiko casted her doubts away and jumped into the depths of trust, taking Sasuke's hand as he slowly pulled her up. His hand never left hers.

Maybe, Mikiko thinks as they walk down the streets hands still entwined. Maybe I can trust you, Sasuke. But will your cliff end like a bed of roses? Or is it like him, Yakushi's, becoming a dangerous pit I'm still climbing out of?

There's only one way to find out. Mikiko fingered Sasuke's thumb in her grasp. I'd have to take my chances.

***

"Mikiko. Can you just go out with me?"

"Do you really like me?" They were seated on a bench, shoulders to shoulders and Sasuke's hand thrown across the frame of the bench, resting behind Mikiko. An innocent gesture, but once Mikiko thinks about it, it becomes not so innocent, but in a good way.

"Hn."

"Have a little sincerity in your answer," Mikiko sighed. "Alright. Answer my questions then I shall think about it."