Icy heartbreak

"Damn," Kakashi muttered, placing his hands on his hip. "Where'd the kid go to?"

Mikiko bit her lip and left the pub, squinting at the orange sky. This time already? Urgh. Shutting her eyes, she tried to think where Sasuke would go to. If I killed my brother and someone taunted me about it then I can't kill that someone, where would I go?

Sasuke.... Where are you? The headache was so sudden Mikiko cried out in pain, pressing her knuckle to the side of her head and squeezing her eyes shut. Forcing herself to open one eye, her breaths came out in ragged gasps.

The forest. Some instinct told her Sasuke was in the forest, near the middle leaning against a tree. With her headache's pounding grower lesser, Mikiko set off to the forest. After quite sometime, she found Sasuke punching a tree.

"Urgh!"

"Sasuke?"

Sasuke looked bearily up. "What do you want, Mikiko?"

"I told we were friends," Mikiko hissed. "More than that."

Sasuke's eyes softened as he walked beside Mikiko. "I know. I just." He sighed. "I just-"

"Uchiha Sasuke!" Three masked nins appeared, bearing the headband with the sign of the sound, wielding swords. Sasuke, on instinct, darted in front of Mikiko and sild out his katana.

"Uchiha Sasuke," one of the sound nin said. "You betrayed the sound! For that, you shall pay!"

The nins jumped forward, with their blades poised. Sasuke twirled his blade, slashing it against the blades thrust towards him. One of the nins fell, another was wounded. The last one growled and whipped out a few senbons, throwing it at Sasuke.

Sasuke froze and his vision blurred. The nins scoffed. "So easily being placed in a temporaily death state." Mikiko... That was Sasuke's last thought before blacking out. Mikiko gulped sightly as the nins' eyes zeroed in on her. Twisting her body, she whipped her biwa out and started playing notes.

***

In felt like forever before Sasuke woke up. He opened his eyes wearily, and his eyes snapped open properly when he saw the state Mikiko was in. She was battered, panting as she furiously striked her biwa strings.

The only nin left standing laughed. "Leave Uchiha Sasuke and I'll spare your life."

"Never!" With one last heavy notes, the nin wavered. Sasuke whipped out a kunai and tossed it at the nin. The nin dropped, unconscious.

Mikiko blinked and swayed. Sasuke rushed forward and caught her in his arms. Mikiko looked at him with half closed eyes and she smiled.

"Sasuke... I love you."

Then she passed out from pure exhaustion.

Sasuke stared at the unconscious woman. This was exactly why he didn't wanted to do this mission or be in any relationship. The last sentence Mikiko said replayed in his mind over and over again when he chakra jumped to the hospital.

***

"She'll be fine," Sakura said, scribbling down some notes and placing the clipboard at the foot of the bedframe.

"Hn."

"Wait, Sasuke! Where're you going?"

"Naruto's."

***

"I don't want to do this mission anymore," Sasuke snarled. The jounins and ANBUs around Naruto raised an eyebrow.