Chapter 7

It was mid August. It was hot. It was humid. It was Georgia. It was annoying. My hair looked like something out of the Sahara desert. Derrin was upstairs in his room packing for college with his stereo blaring his music. I couldn't hear myself think but that was just Derrin. Loud even at the most quietest time. I was sitting on the couch trying to watch tv when the phone rang. It was a number that I didn't recognize so naturally I never answered it. God bless who ever came up with caller ID! I started to walk back into the living room when the phone rang again. This time there was a city and state under the phone number. Chanhassen, MN. I was tempted to answer and hang up but then again if it's a bill collector they would only keep calling afterwards. So I stood there until the phone stopped ringing. Then still standing there I waited for it to ring.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And again waited.

Nothing.

Bill collector.

Like I thought.

I turned around and took one step when the phone rang again. This time I answered it.

  "Domino's pizza pick up or delivery?"

  "Yeah can you mail and vegetarian pizza from Atlanta to Minneapolis in 30 minutes?" The voice said.

  "We can only go within a ten mile radius so you'll have call your local franchise sir." I said.

  "I'm beginning to think that this isn't domino's" the voice said.

  "And I'm beginning to think you don't want a pizza. Are you a bill collector man? Cuz if ya are we ain't go no money!" I said.

  "I was waiting for the sarcasm to come through." He said.

  "Who is this???? Your being weird!"

  "I thought you would already know by now. I thought we were friends."

  "I DONT KNOW YOU MAN!!!!!!"

  "Awww it's too bad. I was really hoping you would come jam with me. Erinalia."

  "How do you know my......Prince is that you?"

  "It's about time you caught on girl." He laughed.

  "You can't just make a normal phone call can you. I almost cursed you out dude!" I said to him playfully.

  "You know better than that little miss."

  "Yes father."

  "You know it's cute when you get feisty with me."

  "Your doing it again!"

  "You like when I flirt with your personality. It makes you blush. I bet your doing it right now aren't you?"

  "No I'm not!"

There was a long silence over the phone between us.

  "You want to change that answer?" He said.

  "Ok yeah I am but that's only because I think your cute. In my way like 'look at him he so cute' teenager speak cute. If you know what I mean."

  "I know what you mean I was 17 once too you know." I could hear the smile in his voice.

  "So what's the purpose of this long distance call P? Are we bored with Minnesota?" I asked him.

  "I'm having a party.  Wanted to invite you and Derrin personally."

  "And Derrin is officially on your payroll at the party?" I asked him.

  "If he still wants the job then yes." He said.

The tone of his voice changed so I knew he was serious. I better not blow this for Derrin. He's really been looking forward to this internship. I had to fix the situation fast before Derrin finds out.

  "Well he and I will be there. When's this shindig going down?"

  "Can you get here tonight?"

Tonight was a bit much. Trying to get all the way to Chanhassen by tonight for a Prince party wasn't unheard of but it had to be done.

  "We will be there!" I said with excitement.

  "I'll have a driver pick you and Derrin up in an hour to take you to a landing strip. From there you'll be flown to Minnesota on the red eye. I'll see you tonight little miss."

Click.

  "Derrin!!!!!!" I shouted as I ran to his room and banged on the door.

The bedroom door flew open and there was Derrin standing there sweaty with only a pair of basketball shorts and a white tank top. He must have been doing a crazy workout because he was so out of breath and he looked pretty beefy in the arms.

  "What is going on with you crazy person?!?!?!" He yelled over his music.

I ran over to his stereo and turned it off. His face went pale almost instantly. He hated when I touched his stereo.

  "What are you doing!?!?!?!" He screamed.

  "Pack your bag we gotta go!" I said jumping up and down.

  "Why what happen? What's going on?"

  "We got invited to a party!!!!! A HUGE party!!!!! And we only have less than an hour to pack and get in the car!"

  "An hour? Why an hour? Who's party is it!"

  "Your boss! He's rocking out at his house tonight! And we got VIP invites. But he needs you to work tonight. That's the only downer."

  "Wait you talked to Prince? When????"

  "Just now on the phone! Why are you questioning this thing pack and let's go!"

I ran out of Derrin's room and down the hall to mine beaming. I was going to an A-List party. A PRINCE PARTY! I pulled out my purple duffle bag and started packing. Derrin came down and stood in my bedroom door.

  "You really told Prince we were coming!" He said still confused.

  "I kinda didn't have a choice because if I had said no you would have lost your internship. He's testing your loyalty right now cousin! Don't blow this! You said that you didn't want me to embarrass you and I haven't so far. I did you a favor by answering that phone now go pack! If you lose this internship I will personally kill you myself."

  "Say no more Erin. I'm going to pack just make sure you're ready to leave."

  "I already am! I'll meet you at the door."

I ran down the hall and down the stairs. Derrin laughed and went back in his room and packed his bag. He was downstairs within five minutes. The house was quiet. We were waiting for the car. I looked out the window and there is was.

  "Dee the car is here lets go."

  "Ok. Go out and I'll lock up."

I went out to the car and the driver took my bag. I got in the car and Derrin soon followed behind me. The driver closed the door and we were ready to ride. I looked over at Derrin and he looked back at me with the stamp of approval.

  "Thank you Erin. What would I have done without you?"

He was really pleased with me the whole ride to the private jet. I looked out my window and closed my eyes. I couldn't wait to get there. Paisley Park. Just imagine. Going inside the home of the most mysterious man alive. Makes me wonder if everything is purple.