20 | heart beats

@gorehippie's chapter |

"You've got to be kidding me," Mark sighed as he shut his locker door.

Jack shook his head, "No I'm serious he really wants to meet you."

"He wants to meet me," Mark mocked, "The man who beat you for being gay wants to meet me, your also homosexual boyfriends"

Jack shushed Mark violently, "Yes, and he didn't beat me. He only hit me once."

"What's the difference?" Mark matched Jack's whisper.

Jack shook his head in defeat, "Please, for me?"

"If you want me to then why not," Mark smiled softly at Jack, "I'd do anything for my little church boy."

"Don't patronize me," Jack pretended to get defensive.

Mark kissed Jack's forehead, "What time?"

"7 o'clock," Jack responded, slightly cut off by the morning bell.

Before Jack could head to class Mark pulled him in. Given Jack's fear of being caught the two had never been public about their relationship, but Mark completely disregarded that fact. He wrapped his arm around Jack's waist and kissed him as the other students passed. Jack's lack of protest made Mark all the happier, he could finally kiss his boyfriend in public. However soon enough Jack backed away and left for class with a simple smile. Jack's heart fluttered as he walked away.

7:00 pm

Jack had noticed the time as he anticipated Mark's arrival. Soon enough there was a knocking at the door, and Jack shot up to answer it. His father seemed to sneer at Jack's eagerness. Jack had noticed that his father didn't seem to accept him as much as he had claimed. However Jack had decided to brush it off considering he didn't want to ruin what he had.

"Hey," Mark smiled as the door opened wider.

Jack could feel the air catch in his throat, "Hey."

"Well let him in," Jack's father said impatiently, Mark seemed to catch on to the aggressive undertones in the man's speech.

Jack nodded and opened to door wider, motioning Mark to come in.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jack's father. I don't believe I've heard your name," Jack's dad held his hand out to Mark.

Mark shook the man's hand, "Mark."

"So you're the smoker, I mean you do seem the type," he continued to shake Mark's hand.

"Dad," Jack whispered in horror.

Mark pulled his hand away, "Did you not get a good look the first time."

Jack acted quickly, grabbing Mark's hand and holding it loosely. Mark sighed and unclenched his teeth. Jack could hear his own heart leaping at his chest as this night clearly was not going to bode well.

"How old are you Mark?" Jack's dad questioned.

Mark glanced at Jack, "18."

"Shouldn't you be going after adult women then?" his father asked.

Jack could feel a squeeze at his hand, "Dad."

"You know what, no. Fuck this and fuck you, sir," Mark stated.

Jack felt Mark's hand pull away from his own. Mark began to head for the door, before turning around and smashing his lips into Jack's. Jack didn't move an inch, not even under the weight of his father's stare. Mark rubbed Jack's arm and planted another kiss on his cheek before leaving the house.

Jack let out a defeated sigh, "You said you were okay with this."

"No," his dad stated, "I'm still coming to terms with it, but why him. Of all the people him."

"Nothing is ever good enough for you," Jack shook his head.

His dad walked over to him, "Jack he's not good enough for you. You just think you like him because you know I won't."

Tears pricked at Jack's eyes, "That's not true."

A familiar sting hit Jack's face, as he looked at his father in disbelief. Jack tried to run, but his father pulled him into a hug. Jack fought him, pushing and shaking his head as tears began to roll. Eventually Jack was too drained to fight back, and was just sobbing into his father's chest.

"Jack, stop it. You're being ridiculous," his father insisted.

Jack only nodded in return.

"Just please try to understand where I'm coming from," he pleaded.

Jack was now facing his father, "I'm sorry."

Thinking it was over Jack walked away, but sadly he was wrong. He felt a had yank him around and slap him, not once, but twice.

"Don't walk away when I'm talking to you," his father scolded, "Why can't you just listen to me?"

Jack looked at his father, "I'm sorry," he choked out.

"So am I," he said in an apologetic tone, "Go on now."

Jack calmly walked to his room before calling Mark.

"Any reason you're not texting me?" Mark asked.

"I love you," was all Jack could muster.

Jack could practically hear Mark's soft smile, "I love you too church boy."

"Hey," Jack became quieter, "can you come get me. I don't want to be here right now."

Mark had agreed without questioning, and Jack waited quietly. He wasn't quite sure how he was going to get out, that was until he heard the front door open and a car start up. Once he was sure the car was gone Jack sat on the porch until Mark's car had pulled in. Jack hurried into the car, smiling at Mark as he buckled.

"Jack?" Mark's expression changed almost immediately as he saw the red mark on Jack's face.

"It's okay," Jack whispered.

Mark shook his head, "I'm never letting him touch you ever again, you got that?"

Jack nodded and leaned over, laying his head in the crook of Mark's neck. Mark pulled out into the road, they didn't know where they were going, they were just driving away.