Chapter 3

Finally! Connie sighed as she switched off her alarm and sprang out of bed. Finally it was Monday again! She got herself showered in record time, and carefully chose her outfit for the day - a formal long blue pencil skirt with a deep v-neck white blouse, and a matching long blue jacket to go with her skirt. She wore some blue heels, and made her way to the ED, not being able to wait to show the students what she'd prepared for them. However, as she got in and settled down in the correct meeting room, she was interrupted by an older man, who looked like a professor, bursting through the door, and handing her a sheet of paper.

"You're the one teaching that class this morning, aren't you?" He asked, and Connie nodded proudly. "Well I hope you have better luck with them. Never have I met a more disruptive class in my life!" He forced the paper into her hands, and then left, without allowing her to explain anything. Suddenly her mood changed - had their first lesson been that bad that they'd decided that they didn't want to do any others? What if they misbehaved for her too? However, she didn't have long to worry, as a few minutes later, she heard a soft knock on the door, and it opened slowly. Connie was relaxed to see Jacob there, but looked across at the clock and realised that their lesson didn't start for another half an hour.

"What's wrong, Jacob?" She asked, and turned around to face him. "Our class doesn't start for another half an hour."

"I wanted to speak to you," he mumbled, and made his way into the room slowly, shutting the door.

"Anytime. What's wrong?"

"You know I said last week that my pa needed his heart restarting? He wasn't as lucky as they expected." Jacob was sniffling a little, taking Connie by surprise as he always looked so cocky, and she didn't know what to do. "He passed away yesterday." Connie felt awful for him, and she did what she'd have done if she was consoling a patient's family member, and stood up to give him a tight hug. He returned it gratefully, and then the pair broke apart a little while later. She offered him a tissue, and he wiped his eyes, embarrassed at crying in front of her. She assured him that it was nothing to worry about, and the pair sat talking about his options until other members of the class began to walk in. Connie had to start her lesson off with a lecture, asking her students why they were being disruptive for other teachers, but were such a lovely bunch for her.

"Our second teacher hadn't even prepared his lesson. He had to make it up on the spot and it was just random bits of information strung together," one girl commented.

"And our third had us copying up the entire glossary of the Medicine for Students book for the full six hours."

"Truth is Miss," one of the boys said. "That you're the only tutor that actually seems to care about our learning. The rest of them see us as a bit of a chore."

"Yeah, you see us as individuals," another girl added. "The others seem to think we're just problems that need solving."

"You actually care about our futures," Jacob said, and the rest of the class nodded in agreement. Connie was deeply touched, and leant on the edge of the desk, looking at the students before her.

"Okay, I'll make you a deal," Connie said. "I'll do whatever I can to get you better tutors and I will see if I can cover more of your lessons, but in the meantime, you have to behave for the other staff members just as well as you behave for me, okay?" She got a lot of blank faces from the students, and looked at them, sighing in defeat. "I don't want another of these bad reports," Connie said, holding the document up.

"Is that what one of our teachers wrote about us?" Leonie asked, and Connie nodded.

"I bet it was Professor Tillsworth," Dan added, and the class agreed. "What does it say, Miss?" Connie opened the document, and read over it briefly. She was supposed to be collecting them from the teacher that taught on Fridays, and then she passed them all on to the next teacher, who passed them all on to the next, adding to the folder as the year went on. However as Connie read out this particular report, she realised that she didn't agree with a word that this professor had said.

"'I have never been more appalled by a group of students as I am with this class. They're disruptive, they're rude, and they're just downright lazy. If this is the generation that we have to rely on to take over and run our NHS, then I can quite confidently say I am scared to see what our world will become.'" Connie stopped there - she couldn't read any more as it wasn't true at all.
"I'm sorry, I can't read any more. That is the biggest lie I have ever read and I'm sorry you have to sit through a lecture with that arsehole." The class started to laugh, and Connie excused herself while she just ran outside, and came back in shortly later with some surgical scissors, and she passed them to the boy on the front row. She passed him the document, and told him to make good use of the equipment. The class laughed as the boy cut the document straight down the middle, then Connie took the two halves and threw them into the bin.

"What are you going to tell the other teachers?" One girl laughed, and Connie shrugged.

"I'll tell them I lost it. Anyone who tells you lot that you won't amount to anything isn't anyone I would like to talk to, thank you."

Connie proceeded on with her lesson, and began to introduce the class to medicine, which was what she had been asked to teach them about. She hated having to teach medicine, as she had no way of making it interesting like she could with surgery, but she had no choice. The lesson ran smoothly, and the entire class were in really high spirits when they left, which felt like a success on Connie's behalf since they'd clearly had a pretty awful week beforehand.

"Jacob, can I have a word please?" She whispered as the last few people were walking out of the room. She shut the door, and sat on her desk, and asked him if he was alright.

"Yeah, man's good now. Typical me to go and cry in front of the person the class has been talking about all week," he muttered, then instantly regretted what he'd said.

"I'm the talk of the class?" She asked, bewildered. "What do you say about me?"

"I don't say anything, Miss. I've just heard a few others. It's nothing bad," he reassured her.

"What sorts of things do they say?" She asked, and when she didn't get a reply, she folded her arms across her chest. "Jacob, tell me!"

"Just that you're, you know, hot. Fuckable." Her eyes widened, and she didn't exactly know how to respond. She didn't know how she felt about her class saying things like that about her, but something about her was intrigued by it.

"Wow," she muttered, and looked around. "What do you think? Would you say I was fuckable, for lack of a better word?" Jacob smirked, and their eyes met for a few moments.

"I think every boy in the class would," Jacob admitted quietly, leaving Connie smiling a little to herself, though she tried her best to hide it.

"Thank you for telling me," Connie replied as Jacob stood. He nodded, and began to walk towards the door before she called him back. "Jacob?"

"Yes, Miss?" He replied, looking up at her.

"Could you do one more favour for me?" Connie desperately wanted to help that class, but she needed someone's help, and Jacob seemed to be the perfect person for the job. She wanted him to take a walkie-talkie, which she said she would supply him with the next day, and record how dull his other classes were. Connie knew that she needed to pitch her ideas to the Education Board, but she was determined to get these students the grades they needed, and without her, they were unlikely to be able to do that. Besides, what sort of a role model would she be if she gave up without trying to help them?