Epilogue

"Muuuum," the young girl called from a distance, her voice carrying on the Autumn wind. The young girl jumped into a pile of leaves at the top of the garden, laughing, before proceeding to roll down the hill in her wellington boots and thin raincoat. She ran across the front porch and jumped into her mothers lap, toying with the book that she had been trying to read for the last few hours. However, she hadn't been able to read an awful lot, as she'd been disturbed every couple of minutes by her beautiful, yet incredibly hyperactive daughter. It was the best kind of distraction though, and no book would ever match up to the energy and joy that the young girl brought to simple, everyday life.

"Sweetheart, I've told you, he'll be home soon," Connie said, combing her fingers through one of her daughter's long, waved, strands of hair. Jasmine's hair was a dark brown, which complimented her light brown skin perfectly, and her dark eyes were truly beautiful.

"But mum, I can't wait to see him! I've got his card upstairs and everything!" Connie sighed, melting at the sight of her beautiful little girl, and checked the time. It was five to ten in the morning, and so Connie shook her head in defeat.

"Well, he won't be long now, so if you've finished playing, why don't you go upstairs and put your dress on ready?" Jasmine jumped off Connie's knee, nodding madly, and ran indoors. Connie just shook her head with a smile on her face, and placed the bookmark inside her book, before following her little girl inside. As she walked in through the patio doors, she felt two firm hands grasp her waist and pull her to the side, causing her to gasp a little in shock. When Jacob's mouth descended to her neck and began to kiss her playfully, she began to chuckle, and tossed her head back over his shoulder to give him slightly better access.

"Mm, Mr Masters, you never lose your touch," she whispered playfully, causing him to give her a suave smile.

"Well, when I've got something as lovely as you to touch, Mrs Masters, it makes it easy." Connie giggled and pressed her back up against his chest, allowing him to kiss her temple and sway her gently in his arms.

"Say that again," she smiled, and he fought the urge to roll his eyes.

"I said, when I've got something-" he began, but she cut him off.

"No, no," she insisted. "Just the 'Mrs Masters' part."

"Mrs Masters," he whispered into her ear, nibbling it lightly. "Mm, Mrs Masters. I love you so much." Connie grinned to herself as she heard it again. She truly could listen to him saying that all day - it always made the butterflies rise in her stomach, even after five beautiful years of happy marriage. As Connie turned in his arms and joined her lips to Jacob's, they heard an eighteen year old Grace come downstairs, in a lovely dress, which was a perfect fit for the occasion.

"Have you two ever heard of PDA?" She asked, and the two of them broke apart in order to help Grace set the table for dinner.

"Imagine how we feel when we have to see you doing it with Daniel, love. Is he on his way?" Connie asked, with a happy smirk, and Grace nodded, pretending to be annoyed. Connie and Jacob both just chuckled, and suddenly, they heard the front door open.

"He's here, he's here, he's here!" Jasmine screeched, as she ran down the stairs as quickly as she possibly could. Jacob's arm crept around Connie's waist and held her to him tightly - he knew that she was a little bit anxious for this moment, and that was made more evident by the way her fingers were tying themselves in knots. Grace, Connie and Jacob were all stood in a line in front of the dining room table awaiting his arrival, and as he came in the door in his uniform, a single tear of joy fell down Connie's cheek.

"Alright mum?" He asked, taking his military hat off and placing it on the arm of the sofa beside him. Connie rushed up to him immediately, wrapping her arms around her son's neck. Chris, now 25, had decided he'd prefer to pursue his career in medicine in the army, and had worked towards becoming one of the world's highest qualified army surgeons of his age. Connie was bursting with pride to see him here, as it felt like they hadn't seen each other for so long, when in reality, he had only been away for a year. He had been involved in a couple of minor accidents, and was once based near a serious one, though he was fortunately completely safe, and thanks to him, so were many of his friends. Without giving Connie time to let go, Jasmine rushed in and wrapped her arms around one of her brother's legs, and Grace ran up too with tears in her eyes, joining in. Jacob decided to join in too, and he had to admit that he too was quite emotional.

On that Autumn day - Wednesday, October 15th, 2021 - Connie's perfect family was finally reunited. She had her five-year old daughter, she had Grace, she had a fantastic relationship with her long lost son, and she had the man that had given her it all beside her in marriage. If someone were to tell her when she was twenty eight that she - Miss Constance Chase - was going to have a perfect family and a perfect job in twenty five years, she'd have never believed them, especially if she was told that it would be one of her students that would give it to her. But now here she was, and she wouldn't change it for the world.