Chapter 18

Charlie had been in the room, and was thankful to see Connie, and for her, it was a surprise to see the patient relaxed, not tossing and turning and fighting away the doctors. However, this was due to the sedative, which was making him incredibly drowsy, as Connie was informed.

"Got yourself a little fan in this one, Connie," Charlie began, and the patient's head jerked up just at the mention of her name.

"Connie," he said, smiling to himself. "Is that Mrs Beauchamp?" He muttered to himself wearily, and Connie chuckled.

"He began by calling for you," Charlie explained, while Connie walked over and took the young patients hand in hers. He inhaled deeply at the contact, and Connie couldn't help but feel protective of this young boy, who clearly admired her so much. She wondered briefly if this boy was looking to get into surgery, and had heard about her work in other countries and seen her picture in the paper or something. She wondered if she had inspired him, and if he had wanted to be treated by her so that he could meet his inspiration. It would explain why he seemed so star struck when Connie had walked into the room, and why he had a photograph of her, and why he seemed to rake his eyes over her as if he had a crush.
"He demanded to be treated by you, and you only, but then he had a break and said that he would like to be treated by his mother." Connie was a little surprised - thus far, he hadn't mentioned anything about his own family.

"I'll talk to him when he comes round," Connie smiled, combing her hand through the boy's soft, fuzzy brown hair. He had light brown skin and beautiful blue eyes, with plump lips and quite a large nose. His eyebrows were dark to match his hair, and his jawline was quite sharp. Anyone would have to admit that this youngster was quite attractive, and was also quite muscular, which reminded her of Jacob as a teenage boy again. He was obviously physically fit, but probably didn't work out much. Connie was studying the young man, looking down at him fondly, and then she began to speak to him softly to comfort him.
"Hey there, you," she whispered, and he smiled at the sound of her voice. He tried to mumble but she placed a finger on his lips and ushered him to be quiet. She got the equipment that she needed ready to fix up his face, and continued talking to him to keep him calm, whilst Charlie just watched on, smiling.
"Alright Chris, you're going to have to sit still for me, okay? I'm here, it's okay."

"You're here," he repeated, sleepily lifting his hand up to rest on Connie's cheek softly. She took his hand off her slowly and placed it back down in the bed, tucking it beneath the cover, and resuming to stitch up a cut above his eyebrow.

"Yeah, that's it. I'm here," she replied, and he continued to mumble to himself whilst he allowed Connie to fix him up. Charlie was still watching on, and when Connie had finished and went to place her gloves in the bin, he approached her quietly.

"You did well with that lad. You have quite a motherly approach with him, and I think he appreciates it." Connie nodded, smiling, and made her way back over to Chris whilst Charlie made his way outside. She wanted to speak to Chris, but she wanted to let him rest too, as he'd finally drifted off to sleep, and so she just sat beside him and held his hand. He woke up about twenty minutes later, and was still a little drowsy from the sedative, but the effects were wearing away. He relaxed instantly as he saw Connie and she smiled fondly over at him.

"You're all fixed up, okay Chris?" Connie smiled, and he nodded, wincing a little in pain. "Is there anyone I can call for you? You asked for your mother before."

"Did I tell you her name?" He asked, and Connie shook her head.

"No, you said that you wanted to be treated by her though. Is she a nurse? Can I call her?" Connie was speaking softly, and it was clearly a great comfort to Chris.