Chapter 12

This is shorter than most chapters. Sorry for that.

SONG - DEMONS - IMAGINE DRAGONS

Roman eagerly accepted the drink from Mickey when it was handed to him. From the club to his apartment, he’d been tingling with both excitement and paranoia.

Surprisingly, Caleb had not sent any of his men to follow him.

Roman had been glancing at every angle on his way back to his apartment.

His trail was dry.

He’d come to the conclusion that if anyone was following him, they were pretty damn good at it because he had spotted no one and with the events that recently occurred, he had no choice but to be vigilant. Mickey and Uncle Roberto were waiting for him already.

They’d used the building’s back door to avoid being spotted in case Caleb did send anyone to watch the area.

“So how did it go?” Mickey asked.

Roman delayed his answer in order the let the burning sensation in his throat left behind by the drink he’d just consumed. Uncle Roberto also appeared eager for a report. The apartment felt strangely small with him in it. As though it’s physical structure really couldn’t contain a man with his stature. Power really did have physical effects.

“I had to kill a man to gain their trust. Neil was not impressed but his brother on the other hand gave me a once over. He’s said he wants to give me one final test before he accepts my proposal,” Roman summarized.

Mickey’s eyes widened “You killed a man?” Roberto also appeared mildly startled at the revelation. For the first time that night, Roman had actually realized what he’d done.

You killed a man.

There was a pause. “Yes. He was an assassin sent to kill the younger O’Connor. Caleb was grateful that I saved his brother’s life although he suspected me at first. Rightfully so I guess.”

“So you saved his life and that kid still wasn’t grateful? What a fucking bitch,” Mickey sneered.

Uncle Roberto contemplated his words “This is good progress I would assume. However until you’re completely in I wouldn’t advice letting your guard down. He may be toying with you, don’t make any assumptions yet.”

Roman nodded “I won’t let my guard down either way.” He knew that his uncle still wasn’t comfortable with this espionage mission he was embarking on but Roman was nothing if not stubborn. He was convinced this would be the best way to prove his worth and honor to everyone in the family.

He cleared his throat “Uncle, I have a question.”

Roberto nodded “Speak.”

Roman looked down at the tumbler in his hand “Did...we have anything do with the attack, so to speak?”

“No child. I’m not stupid enough to try and orchestrate a war at this stage,” Roberto replied. The answer made Roman feel stupid. Of course his uncle wouldn’t do that. That certainly meant that it had come from another person or group.

Each faction had their own little enemies. He shouldn’t be surprised. The question seemed to boggle him more than he anticipated. Roman didn’t want to think about the possibility of being worried about Neil. He chalked it up to the fact that he would most likely be joining them soon and making a full summary of all their enemies would be wise. He wanted to be prepared.