19) The Loneliest King of All

Huey found himself staring at the brick plastered ceiling. The palace was empty, and just he remained. He could hear the echoes of sweet nothings tumble through the hallways. Finding their way back to his ears unknowingly.

Huey laid in bed as he wondered.

Is there truly any way for him to break this eternal rule?

For the sake of having his brother return to his side, he will do almost anything. He will admit, he had missed his brother dearly. No one was around to meddle and irritate him. Caesar did sometimes but it wasn't the same.

If anyone knows about ancient law and how to move around it, it's Grandfather.

But where could he be?

He disappeared right after Huey left to confront Atka. He can't even find their secret underground place anymore.

Wiped away, as if it never even existed.

If that was not enough, he had Dauba's words in his mind all the time.

Your heart will be your undoing...

The words echoed in his mind. Leaving him loss for words.

How can one's heart be his undoing?

He wished that he could vent his emotions to someone about things like these...Jazmine would definitely listen to him. Though she is living with Nala and Caesar down in the slums...I am pretty sure they were more happy than he was in an empty palace.

Huey was utterly stuck, where does he go from here?

"Guide me Father." Huey whispered in the dead of night. Talking to nothing but the walls that surrounded him.

Suddenly just as he finished his plea a rooster's crow was heard right outside his window. It was a signal for early sunrise.

He had awakened throughout the night. It was just plain unnatural for him. He was exhausted, though he was determined to get his brother back.

Caesar walked in Huey's chambers.

"King Huey, which of your duties shall you carry out first today? Your speech at the Upper East Side or tend to the architects to help rebuild to lower half of the city?" Caesar asked, bending on one knee.

"I want to visit my brother. I wish to bring him back home." Huey explained getting out of bed.

"Must it be now? You have a busy schedule-"

"I appreciate your concern my friend, but I need my brother back on my side." Huey insisted walking to Caesar who just looked down and bowed.

"Yes your highness."

"Caesar..." Huey groaned, pulling his friend to his feet.

"Caesar I do not enjoy these formalities. Please. You are my friend act like one." Huey ordered.

"I'm sorry Huey. It is difficult. I always must show respect to Pharaoh and sometimes I have a hard time controlling my formal and normal sides." Caesar shrugged smiling to Huey who pat him on the shoulder.

"It's fine Caesar. I just need a day...a break. Do you understand what I mean?" Huey asked, flicking a gnat that landed on his muscular shoulder. Caesar nodded.

"Of course I understand. Being Pharaoh is stressful. Especially when you are trying to rebuild the greatest Kingdom in the land from ruin." Caesar smirked grabbing Huey's forearm strongly in a handshake.