Dinners And Disasters

"Okay, now seriously, tell me why you're so happy!" Lu begged, her huge blue eyes blinking beseechingly. I grinned and shook my head.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I laughed, turning my back on her and cluttering the pile of cups into the sink. It was Saturday morning and Lucy had been suspicious of my happiness all week, questioning me whenever she got the chance. To be honest, I didn't actually even really know why I was so happy.

"Hmm, I know you're lying, honey...and I will find out what's making you like this!" she grinned in spite of herself.

"Doubt it," I giggled. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

And I knew she really wouldn't. Lucy had been crazy about that Johnny Depp guy ever since I remembered. I couldn't really see why, though he had seemed nice enough when I'd bumped into him...quite funny actually, if a little cocky. Still, I was fairly excited about tonight. It had been ages since I'd been out for dinner.

"Oh...I would!" she nodded convincingly. I shook my head.

"Why can't you just accept that I'm happy...because it's my birthday?" I replied, pushing her. "Isn't it normal to be happy on your birthday?"

"You weren't this happy last year," she pointed out. I bit my lip, remembering.

"You know why," I sighed looking away from her.

"Alice...seriously, you need to break up with him," she informed me. I groaned.

"Does no-one understand it's not that easy to break up with a guy like Luke?" I moaned. "Drop it okay. It's my birthday."

Lucy sighed. "Alright. You're right. It's your birthday. Look, I can handle this, it's hardly busy in here," she said, gesturing to the empty space around us. "Just go home, you shouldn't be working today," she smiled, taking the dishcloth from my hand.

"Oh, Lucy, I officially love you now!" I squealed, throwing my arms around her gratefully. She feigned a sigh.

"Just go!" she grinned, ushering me out into the street.

"Thank you!" I mouthed through the glass before practically skipping home to plan what to wear.

By eight, after sorting through my birthday cards and gifts and showering, I'd finally chosen what to wear; a simple strapless purple dress that fell to my knees in soft folds, with a tiny silver handbag and silver stilettos. My hair hung loose over my shoulders in dark waves, fluttering gently in the wind as I made my way down to the car park in the semi-darkness. I shivered slightly, though it wasn't particularly cold, wondering whether Johnny was the kind of guy who was always early or always late.

Suddenly there was a flash of headlights as a posh looking silver car pulled up by the pavement, the door opening to reveal Johnny Depp dressed smartly in a suit with a hat, probably to conceal his appearance like the other day.

Early!

He glanced at me and grinned slightly. "Alice, you look...really pretty!" he said sweetly.

"Um...thanks, you too!" I replied grinning, still a little unsure of him. He opened my door with a regal, over-the-top bow which caused me to giggle. I slipped inside and sat down awkwardly. Johnny joined me, starting up the car.

"Happy birthday by the way," he smiled as we pulled away from the pavement.

We spent most of the journey in silence, the only sound the soft murmurings of songs on the radio until we pulled up to a posh looking restaurant. He smiled at me somewhat encouragingly and we both got out of the car, and headed up to the entrance, slipping inside the door into the warm, beautifully lit hallway. I followed Johnny nervously as he sauntered causally up to the waiter waiting to greet people and muttered something in his ear. He nodded and gestured for us to follow him, seating us in a quiet corner, separated slightly from the rest of the restaurant which was full of elegantly dressed people. We were both handed menus and left to look at them for a few moments before another waiter returned with a pen and paper.