Questions and Goodbyes

The following days ran smoothly. I stayed with Johnny until my bruises had practically faded and my cuts had healed, and though he made sure I was comfortable and happy, I was growing increasingly worried as everyday we approached the time when I would have to report Luke to the police, something which I found a terrifying prospect.

Finally, after three days, Johnny informed me that he'd contacted the police and they wanted to speak to me as soon as possible. I dressed quickly and then Johnny announced it was time to go and we left, leaving Ed alone in the house.

We traveled in a tense silence all the way, until we finally reached the nearest police station and entered it, my stomach contorted into a painful knot. I knew Johnny could sense my anxiety as we stood awkwardly in the empty room, waiting to be seen by someone.

"Are you alright?" Johnny asked softly, breaking the silence between us.

"Mmm..." I hesitated. "Do you really think we should be doing this? Reporting him, I mean," I burst out before I could help myself. Johnny stared at me in amazement.

"Are you serious?!" he asked, wide-eyed. I shrugged. "Alice, the guy broke into your apartment and bloody attacked you! Of course we should being doing this!" he cried incredulously.

"I know, I just...he probably didn't really mean to hurt me, he wasn't in his right mind!" I replied lamely. Johnny snorted and opened his mouth to protest but was cut off.

"Um...Alice Cross?" came a male voice from behind me and Johnny and I whirled around to see a chubby, balding man with a serious face watching us intently with his dark eyes.

"Yes," I replied awkwardly.

"Come through, please. And you, Mr Depp," he said in a slightly bored tone. I glanced at Johnny before following him through into a dull, gray room with a desk and two chairs in front of it. We seated ourselves and waited for the man, who rustled through his papers absentmindedly before looking up at me.

"So...I've been told that you were attacked by a violent, drunken ex-boyfriend?" he said questioningly. I nodded. "Well, this is of course very serious so I need to ask you some questions if you don't mind, Miss Cross," the man smiled kindly at me. I nodded nervously as he took a seat in front of Johnny and I, taking a pen from his pocket. "So Alice...can you tell me some details about him please?"

"Uh...well, he's about 5'11", blonde, short, messy hair, green eyes, skinny-"

"Complete wanker," Johnny added unhelpfully, cutting me off.

"Thank you, Mr Depp," the man said, glaring up at him from his notes. Johnny shrugged innocently. He turned back to me.

"Do you know what sort of accent he had Alice? Anything like that which could help us catch him? What he was wearing on the day he attacked you?"

"A gray rolling stones top!" I blurted out, blinking as my eyes prickled suddenly with hot tears.

The one I bought him.

"And...and he's from London so I guess he has a cockney accent," I shrugged. "I never really noticed much." The man nodded and then glanced up at Johnny. "And how are you actually involved in this, Mr Depp?" he asked. "You do seem rather...protective of her."

"I am," Johnny retorted firmly. "I took her out for a meal...long story," he added hurriedly. "And when we pulled up that bastard was standing there waiting for her, clearly drunk...completely out of his skull. So I kind of intercepted before he beat her to a pulp!" He said, scowling at the memory.

"It's okay," I reassured him. "I'm fine."

"You nearly weren't though," Johnny spat. "That son of a bitch could have killed you, but you're so forgiving Alice!" he sighed, looking half exasperated, half reluctantly admiring. "You even seemed to want to back out of this earlier and let him get away with it!" he said, aghast.

The policeman glanced at me, frowning. "Do you want to back out of this, Miss?" he asked quietly. I sighed, thinking.

"No," I replied firmly after a few moments. He nodded and Johnny smiled, looking somewhat pleased.

I continued explaining the story again and again, repeating the facts and details over and over until they were meaningless as the policeman took notes. Finally he was satisfied and gestured for me to leave, so he could speak to Johnny alone.

I waited outside, watching the clock on the dark blue wall tick slowly around for ten minutes until finally Johnny emerged, looking tired.

"They're going to start searching for him today," he informed me. "We should be getting back."

I shook my head. "You should be getting back. I think I've stayed with you long enough now," I smiled. Johnny looked downcast but nodded.

"I'm going to go home if you don't mind," I said quietly. "I need to go back to work anyway, if I haven't lost my job. And Lucy and Kate will be worrying about me," I added. "Thank you for everything though. You...well, you saved my life," I grinned. He smiled at me.

"No problem. And this time, I do expect a call from you, Alice. Lots," he said firmly. I nodded and we gazed at each other awkwardly before I gave him a brief hug, and pushed open the door, heading towards the nearest bus station, feeling happier and somehow released. Free, and going home.