Not-So-Empty Threats

"Er...no offense, Alice, but how could you not realize it was Johnny?" Keira asked, taking a bite of toast as we sat at the little table she'd set up outside Gore's hut for breakfast, the Caribbean sunshine streaming over the patio as we discussed what had happened yesterday night on the beach.

"I...I don't know!" I mumbled exasperated. "Does it matter?"

"Well...yeah. How could you not tell?" Keira repeated, grinning.

"Well...it was dark!" I said lamely, my mind racing. Come to think of it, how had I not realize?

"The mind sees what we want it to," Keira told me knowingly. I blinked at her and shook off this odd comment, glancing up to see who had just stopped by my side.

"Hey you," A sleepy looking Orlando grinned down at me, helping himself to a piece of toast from the plate.

"Hey you! You're eating my toast which I slaved away preparing!" I cried dramatically, giving him a tiny push. He smiled cheekily at me, taking a bite.

"Guys! Hurry up! We need to get cracking on the final scenes!" Gore shouted, interrupting the pleasant silence.

"Alright, Gore, keep your hair on," Orlando muttered, not tearing his gaze away from my face. "Did you enjoy the other night, Alice? Our date?" he asked quietly as I stood up, pushing my chair under the table.

I grinned. "Mmm...it was...okay," I replied hesitantly as he stepped closer to me, his fingers reaching out and fiddling gently with the loose curls of hair hanging down over my shoulder.

"Only okay?" He asked softly, cocking his head on one side as he looked at me.

"Guys! I'm serious! Breakfast and socializing time is over!" Gore shouted, somewhat irritably, causing Orlando to sigh in despair.

"Alright, Gore!" He snapped, gritting his teeth.

"I'll see you later," I sighed, grinning.

"Wait, wait, wait!" he cried, holding onto my wrist and pulling me back round to face him where he swiftly planted a kiss on my lips.

"Come on, lover boy. Oh, dear God, how will you survive today without Alice?" she asked sarcastically, grabbing Orlando by the back of his shirt and pulling him away from me. I laughed and waved at him as he blew me kisses with an elaborate wave in return, Keira shaking her head but giggling reluctantly at the sweet situation. As I turned away however, I spotted something on the other side of the set not quite so sweet. Johnny was watching Orlando disdainfully, his face contorted into an ugly...scowl?

"What's up with you, misery guts?" I asked as I sauntered up to him, a happy little smile on my face. "Nothing," he muttered, his face impassive, as he examined the end of a single dreadlock idly, fiddling with a red bead. We stood in silence for a few moments until Johnny suddenly broke the silence.

"Um...one question, Alice," he asked, his voice just a touch higher than usual. "Why him? Why Orlando? Why is he...special?" He paused expectantly, gazing at me with his deep brown eyes.

"You what?!" I snapped irritably, staring at him in annoyance.

"What do you even like about him, Alice? I mean, sure, he's a good guy, but he's...uh...um," Johnny mumbled, struggling with the words.

"He's what exactly?!" I barked angrily, hating this interrogation.

"Um...promiscuous!" Johnny mumbled, blushing. I bit back a scathing retort, settling for a slightly mocking laugh instead.

"Promiscuous?!"

"Y-yeah!" Johnny retorted weakly. "He only likes to flirt...or more," Johnny sighed, looking distinctly bothered by something.