The Fight

Pink.
This week had been, in a word, mind-blowing. Keira and Orlando's wedding, Ed's little revelation, mine and Johnny's engagement, and now the color pink, staring me full on in the face, much to my utter amazement.
But back to the wedding. Johnny had been...shocked, to say the least, upon discovering that one of his best friends was gay, and had in fact concealed this from him and the rest of the world for a great deal of his life. In fact, Johnny had been so shocked, he had fallen out of a tree upon hearing the news, and since then had spent all week having a long overdue heart to heart and friendship renewal with Ed, sporting a fractured wrist in a sling as a token of his fall. And now, wracked with guilt and believing he had failed to pay attention to his friend for the past few years, Johnny was making it up to Ed by jetting off to accept an award in Florida, and taking both me and Ed with him.
Unfortunately, the 'me' part of this little trip was negligible.
"Poor baby..." Johnny sighed, stroking my hair awkwardly with the tips of his fingers, the only part that was visible and still movable from under his sling.
Somehow, whilst packing for my things last night, I had become suddenly dizzy and nauseated, my head throbbing automatically as a strange, queasy feeling washed over me. I had collapsed into bed much to Johnny's concern, insisting that I would be fine in the morning. However, when morning had come round, I wasn't much better. In fact, I was worse, feeling doubly as nauseated as I had the previous evening, which was why Johnny, due to leave for the airport in a few minutes, was now perched on the bed beside me and my empty, unpacked suitcase as I groaned into my pillow, stroking my hair soothingly and humming a comforting little tune under his breath softly.
"Poor, poor baby," He repeated sweetly. "You're definitely not up to flying today, Alice. Do you want me to stay here with you instead of going off to accept the award? Because I'll cancel if you want, I'm sure Ed will understand..." Johnny assured me anxiously, his face a picture of concern, but I shook my head firmly, gesturing for him to stop worrying.
"I'll be fine...just go, you're going to miss your flight!" I insisted, my voice hoarse.
Johnny frowned. "Sore throat too?"
I nodded, deciding not to explain the reason for this was from the many queasy dashes to the bathroom to throw up last night. Johnny sighed, stroking my face gently, trying to pry the pillow away from my face to get a better look at me. I clung onto it firmly however.

"Don't look at me, I'm ill! So...in my defense, I'm allowed to be ugly," I mumbled, my voice muffled by the material, but Johnny slid it out from under me, laughing at his lay it down on the bed.
"Allowed to be ugly? Well, you're failing that one, aren't you? Worst effort I've ever seen," He grinned, kissing my nose. "I'll be back as soon as I can then, I swear. Get some rest. Plus, I nicked Orlando's DVD at Ed's the other day, so you've got something to watch!" He smiled gleefully, holding up 'Pirates Of The Caribbean 2'. "You can watch our kissing scene all day long," He laughed, and I pulled a face.
"Don't make me feel even more sick," I whispered hoarsely, grinning at him, and he chuckled, before picking up his suitcase and looking at his watch as a car horn beeped impatiently from outside, indicating that his taxi was waiting.
"I'd better...go then, I guess," He sighed, shooting me one last fleeting glance and guilty, apologetic smile, before his fingers parted from mine and he backed out of the room, closing the door behind him. There was silence for a minute or two as he walked quietly around the house for about two minutes longer, before I heard the front door slam, indicating that I was alone.
I tossed and turned restlessly for an hour, finding it extremely difficult to get comfortable without Johnny laying beside me, before drifting off into a light, dreamless sleep. When I awoke again, a few hours later, I was surprised to find myself hungry, and I slowly dragged myself out of bed and padded through to my kitchen, wincing at the cold kitchen tiles on my bare feet, as I always did.
Johnny had noticed this one time, and had obligingly swung me up into his arms, carrying me across the freezing floor so that my feet didn't have to meet the icy tiles, and I felt a pang of longing for him to hurry up home at that particular little memory.
I shivered, treading on tiptoes until I reached the fridge. Upon swinging the door open, my eyes fell onto a bowl on the top shelf, and I took it out gently to find that it was full to the brim with Greek yogurt, with honey in a wobbly heart-shape on top. I frowned, before turning the bowl around and finding a sunshine-yellow sticky note stuck to the side, with a small scrawl in Johnny's handwriting across it.
'For the throat. It'll help. I love you x'
With a smile, I quickly spooned the yogurt and honey into my mouth, recognizing that Johnny was right; it was delicious, and at the same time, my aching throat was being soothed. Feeling slightly better, I threw the bowl into the sink lazily, vowing I would wash it up later, and clambered back into bed, my body still feeling heavy and sleep-deprived, and within seconds my eyes were closed again.
When I next awoke, it was morning, and I felt a rush of happiness as I remembered that Johnny had promised to be home this afternoon, spending no longer than a day in Florida, accepting the award and then catching the first flight back to England. I rolled over, feeling somewhat contented, and almost fell out of bed in surprise to see Kate towering over me, her hands on her hips, a stern expression across her face. I pinched myself quickly to check if I was actually awake, before gaping up at her.
"What...what the hell are you doing here?! How...how did you get in?!" I burbled, mouth open in confusion. She pushed her red hair back behind her ears, her expression still cross-looking.
"Spare key under the potted plant," She muttered idly, flapping her hand as if her presence in my apartment at this time in the morning was no big deal. "As for why I'm here? Well...let's see...I ring and ring your house phone yesterday, I text you at least twenty times, and you don't reply! And then, I get Orlando to ring Johnny and find out what's going on, only to be told that you're bed-ridden and seriously ill! Why do you think I'm here?!" She cried shrilly, in an obvious panic. I grinned.
"Well, I was asleep, so that explains the missed phone calls," I said reassuringly, attempting to calm my flustered friend down. "As for Johnny...I think you'll find he was slightly exaggerating...he is an actor after all," I smiled. "I was just slightly nauseous and sick...no big deal. In fact, I feel...better today," I frowned, sitting up carefully and realizing that this was the truth. Kate's features flooded with relief.
"Good, good...because you look awful...I was seriously worried, watching you," She explained, and I scowled, disgruntled.
"Thanks for the confidence boost!" I snorted, before groaning as Kate threw open my closed curtains and let the room flood with dazzling, blazing white sunlight.
"Ow...I think you've blinded me," I whined, rubbing my eyes with fists desperately. Kate grinned.
"Oh, do stop feeling sorry for yourself. Now...what were your symptoms again?" She said, sitting down gently on the corner of my bed. I squinted at her, racking my sluggish, newly-awoken brain with difficulty.
"Um...dizziness, throwing up, feeling generally very uncomfortable...feeling tired..." I mumbled with a shrug. I stuck my tongue out at her. "Though the latter is perhaps due to my rude if well-meaning friend waking me up!"
Kate however, did not respond. She was looking thoughtful.
"I'll be back in ten minutes. Stay here," She commanded suddenly, jumping to her feet and picking up her bag which she had discarded on the floor.
"Where else am I gonna go?" I muttered moodily, as my front door slammed behind her. And sure enough, within ten minutes, she had returned, a small paper bag in hand. I attempted to peer into it, in vain as it turned out, as Kate simply snatched it away, before pulling out it's contents and presenting me with it.
"No. No way. No, no, no."
"Just...try and be open-minded here Alice...all the symptoms fit..." Kate protested weakly, as I stared with wide eyes at the box clasped in my hands.
"No...because it's ridiculous. No, I won't...I'm not even considering this. It's just a normal, everyday illness...not this," I said firmly, dropping the pregnancy test she had handed me to the floor obstinately.
"Well, if you thought that, then surely you would have no problem peeing on this," She smirked, picking it up and holding it out to me again.
"Kate! This is ridiculous! What makes you even think that Johnny and I are having sex anyway?" I muttered weakly, and Kate smiled.
"Don't be such a prude. Me and Orlando are always at it-" She began, but I cut her off with a weak mumble of, "I think I'm feeling sick again...too much detail..."
"Look, Alice, just pee on the bloody stick!" She snapped, pulling me out of bed firmly, and pushing me into the bathroom, ignoring my protests. She threw the pregnancy test in after me, and, with one last infuriating grin of, "And if it's positive, name me godmother!", she had closed the door after her.
I frowned down at the box, detesting it and it's contents already, my stomach tight and uncomfortable as it always was when I was nervous, before picking it up slowly, and slipping out the test. My eyes flitted over the box's hundreds of instructions, the tini diagrams of a positive test, a negative test, and pink line for positive, a blue line for negative. Tearing my eyes away, I hurriedly did what was necessary and placed it gently down by the sink, sinking my head into my hands as I awaited the result.
Could this be possible...? Could Kate really be right? And what would happen if she was? What would Johnny say? What would I do? I'd only ever seen a family fall apart...my own family was the only basis I had on a world of children and parents and family relationships...what if the same were to happen if this was positive? What if...what if...what if...
But then...if it were positive...Johnny's reaction would surely be good. In fact, he'd be ecstatic.
It was so easy to picture him as a father, so strangely easy and perfect. Maybe...it could work.
"Are you almost done? It's been a few minutes," Kate's muffled voice called through the door, and I was dragged away from my thoughts, and for the first time, my eyes fell on the pregnancy test, the results clearly displayed already.
"Alice...? Alice? Are you listening?" Kate continued to call in the background, and I opened my mouth numbly to reply, but nothing came out. Instead, I gazed down at the tiny pink line which stared up at me. Tiny, but clear.
Pink.
Positive.
I'd finally managed to get Kate out of my house three hours later, after she'd cried and hugged me, then hugged me again and cried some more. Not that I too hadn't been crying, tears streaming down my cheeks as I realized just how much this baby would mean, and how much I really did want it. Already, a strangely maternal instinct had come over me, and I felt a small, glorious smile come over my face whenever my hands found their way to my stomach.
Yet the hours dragged on and on until Johnny was to arrive. For two hours I had watched the minutes tick painfully slowly, one by one, on my digital alarm clock. After this, I had partaken in other fulfilling activities such as flipping through every magazine I owned, and putting on my tallest high heels, swinging my legs off the end of my bed like a pendulum, willing the minutes to pass by faster. And finally, when I was laying upside down so that my head was hanging off the end of the bed, there was a knock at the door.
With a thrill of delighted adrenaline at the life-changing news I was about to break, I all but skipped to the front door and threw it open, my heart giving it's usual little leap in my chest to see him standing there. My eyes drank Johnny in in his entirety, as he lowered his indigo lens sunglasses idly with the tips of his ringed fingers, his face looking slightly more suntanned despite the short time he had spent in America, his expression splitting into the widest smile I had ever seen him give, all gold teeth and pearly whites on display as he swept me up instantly in his arms. I buried my face into his jean jacket and hooked my legs around his wait with a squeal as he swung me round and round, chuckling as he kicked the door shut behind him.
"I see you're feeling better. Good! Fuck me, I missed you sugar. It's been like living without oxygen, being without you. Torture, not seeing your face for so long," Were his first words, his voice sounding strangled with emotion as he tilted his face up to look into mine, tracing my lips gently with one rough fingertip and smiling approvingly at my improved state. He pushed back my curtain of hair, looking satisfied, and kissed my cheek softly.
"Uh...Johnny...it's been one day," I pointed out with a grin. He smiled.
"One day too long, if you ask me. Oh, and Tim wants to offer us both a movie part. Now let's go have sex," He grinned wickedly, putting me down carefully and throwing off his jacket. I blinked at him.
"Hold on, hold on...movie part? Tim? What are you talking about?" I frowned, nonplussed. Johnny smiled, kicking off his shoes and opening his mouth to explain.
"Tim Burton. My best mate, apart from darling old Edward, Daniel and...well, Orlando, much as it pains me to say it," He grinned. "Ran into him in America. Me and Tim, we've worked together a lot in the past. Anyway, he saw you in Pirates, and basically, he's interested in working with you on some project in the future. Course, that means working with me again, as Tim and I are a bit of a package deal...if you don't mind?" He asked hopefully. I shook my head with a grin, to signal that this was indeed okay with me, and Johnny matched my smile happily.
"Maybe us three could be the new trio then? The fabulous threesome! In a...non-sexual way," He added quickly, grimacing and turning slightly pale at the thought of this as I laughed, before hurriedly rearranging his expression ad taking my hand with a smirk. "Which reminds me...where were we?" He chuckled, kissing me from my ear to my collarbone softly, before smiling as an involuntary moan escaped from my lips.
"Do...do you want to..." I struggled between breaths.
"Bedroom?" He asked simply, and I suddenly recalled the utterly massive news I still had yet to break to him. Yet before I could open my mouth, I found myself stumbling, and Johnny and I both frowned down at my feet.
"Um...any particular reason for the ten-inch heels?" He asked casually, a smile playing at his lips as he observed the shoes I had forgotten to take off in my haste to see him again. I blushed, before stumbling and tripping my way back to the bedroom and my wardrobe hastily.
"I'll just take these off...and then," I swallowed nervously, calling over my shoulder. "Then I have something to tell you!" I tugged the shoes away from my feet quickly and flung them into the back of my closet, where they landed with two soft thuds, frowning as I got no response from Johnny except a third thudding sound.
"Everything alright?" I furrowed my brow slightly, as I poked my head around the door, and I was utterly alarmed to see Johnny staring back at me, white as a sheet, eyes dark and wide and horrified as they met mine, as though something had completely startled him.
"What's the matter?!" I demanded, stumbling as I made my way towards him, now due to anxiety rather than excessively tall footwear. Johnny gave no response, and I noticed vaguely that his hand had slipped into his pocket, closed around something rectangular in shape. However, I tore my eyes away and continued to stare at his unusually pale face.
"I have to go," He murmured, his voice sounding cold and dead. I stared at him in absolute bemusement.
"W-what? You've...you've only just arrived!" I heard myself protest, but Johnny simply stared at me, his expression unreadable.
"This can't wait. I'll be back very late. Don't wait up for me," He mumbled, grabbing his coat and striding out of the front door to my amazement. I could do nothing but stare at the empty space where he had stood for several minutes, millions of confused thoughts and questions rushing through my mind. What had just happened? Why had he left so abruptly? Where had he gone? Where had Johnny gone?
He was right. He was back late. I had utterly ignored his advice to not wait up for him, staring off into space for the past few hours, my mind occasionally drifting back to the pregnancy test which still sat beside my sink, the line as pink as ever.
It was well into the early hours of the morning when Johnny returned, his footsteps heavy and tired as he reached the door. I squinted at him through the semi-darkness of our living room, keeping quiet until finally he paused, realizing that he was not alone.
"Johnny...where have you been?" I found myself asking nervously, jumping up and rushing to his side. Johnny began moving again quickly, walking straight past me, his expression motionless as if he couldn't even see me, and did not reply.
"Johnny! I'm talking to you!" I said agitated, my voice stronger now, more insistent as I grabbed his shoulder. He whirled around, his face contorted with an anger I had never seen there before.
"Alice, would you please just give me some space, okay?!" He barked, causing me to step back in shock.
"W-what's the matter with you?!" I asked shakily, feeling scared and even more confused than I already had when he'd left so unexpectedly.
"Nothing! Nothing at all!" He cried hysterically, throwing his arms in the air. "I'm just fucking peachy!" He shouted over his shoulder as he walked into the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. I approached the door and peeped through it tentatively.
"Johnny, what's up? I know something's seriously wrong!" I said, watching him in confusion as he ripped off his shirt and threw it down with a shudder, before clawing at his own arms as though uncomfortable to be in his own skin.
"I said nothing, alright?! Drop it," he said firmly, slipping out of his jeans and grabbing some clean clothes which he took into the bathroom, locking the door. I crouched down beside it, listening to a sudden rush of water that told me he had just hopped in the shower.
What the hell was going on?!
I waited for what seemed like further hours until suddenly the sound of the shower disappeared and Johnny emerged, pulling his t-shirt on. His face fell when he saw me outside and he faltered for a second, before avoiding my gaze as I waited expectantly for an explanation of his behavior, his eyes averted to the floor.
"What?" He sighed quietly.
"Well, excuse me Johnny for being concerned, but do you really expect me to accept this weird behavior of yours and not get remotely suspicious?!" I cried indignantly. "Do you think I'm that stupid?! Now why don't you tell me where the hell you've been and why you're acting like a crazy person! Or at least why you stormed off like a lunatic today?! Well?!" I demanded, staring at him incredulously. Johnny finally raised his eyes to my face, and I was taken aback to see the mixture of unhappiness and fury in them.
"Look...I can't deal with all this shit from you right now, Alice!" He snapped angrily in reply, explaining nothing. I continued to stare at him, open-mouthed, feeling on the verge of tears, eyes burning with the sting of them.
"Fine! Well...m-maybe you should just leave!" I shouted back helplessly, my lip trembling as I glared at him unhappily. But if I had been taken aback before, his next reply was what truly surprised me.
"Fine." He retorted coldly, walking back over to the door in a replay of this afternoon, which he swung open furiously, slamming it behind him as I sat down on the sofa numbly, my hands finding their way to my stomach as I huddled up sadly, a stray tear of confusion leaking out of the corner of my eye. Nothing interrupted the silence throughout my entire house, except for a few shouts and a couple of crashing sounds in the distance outside which I blanked out, hanging my head miserably as I shut my eyes tightly in a vain attempt of sleep. And when finally I had restlessly drifted off, I was awoken by the sharp ringing of the telephone.
"Hello...?" I mumbled exhausted, my voice thick and tired as I clasped the receiver to my ear distractedly, realizing that it was still dark. However, the words of the person on the other end caused me to focus my attention entirely on the conversation, heart pounding in fear and shock.
"Alice...sorry to wake you, it's Ed here. I'm at my clinic right now, and I think you'd better come quickly...it's Johnny."