The End

"How about this one? You ready?"

"Ed, for the love of God...not another impression, please..."

"No, no, I've got it this time! 'Forgedaboudittt!' How about that?!"

"Wonderful, darling, I'm sure...now can we start cooking dinner?" I smiled impatiently, as Keira and I stood with folded arms, wincing slightly at Ed's shameful Godfather impersonation.

Yes, since I had named Ed godfather of my baby, he hadn't stopped doing gangster impressions in the style of the famous Godfather movie. But between his shoddy mumbles of 'Forget about it!', he had filled the vacant spot in my life for male best friend, and we were now practically inseparable. It had seemed only right that the man who had delivered my baby, the man I had so much in common with, both of us living alone and restricted from the people we loved, had become godfather. Yes, Ed was still not over Orlando, and it was painfully clear that he was not the only one separated from the person he longed to be with...even now, there was an empty place at my table which was set for dinner tonight, which only one person could fill. But though our lives had once been intertwined in spite of the unlikelihood, he was now a million miles away from my life, further out of reach than ever, despite the fact that I now knew that Vanessa was out of the picture for good, and that his memory had been restored, and that he knew of me, and of our child's existence. Neither Ed nor I had seen him since the dramatic unfolding of events on television the day I had given birth, and the lack of him was partially responsible for bringing Ed and me closer. Whereas he and I would have usually spent our evenings together, dinner such as this evening had become a regular occurrence as I attempted to fill the gaping hole he had ripped in my life. Yet somehow, nothing ever could, and each day I waited hopelessly for him to saunter back into my life. I found myself scouring newspapers endlessly, but there was never a trace of him; it was almost like he had vanished off the face of the Earth. All that I found whilst scanning the front pages were articles on Vanessa's shame, her court cases and imprisonment, how she had just been booted out of Tim Burton's cast for the movie, the movie she had replaced me in, which was due to start filming shortly. But in even greater quantity than these articles were pages upon pages about me, and of course my 'fatherless' child, a drama the press simply adored...there had been no way of keeping that one a secret, thanks to the gossiping elderly women in Ed's clinic...

I had also barely seen Orlando recently too, which seemed strange, since there had been a time when he had been a regular at my apartment and my house, and it was an odd sensation to see a bare couch without my good-looking friend lounging across the entirety of it, watching my TV and eating my kettle chips...I smiled at the memory of it. I supposed that he was just too busy with Kate at the moment, and I had invited the two of them over tonight also, so perhaps later on I could question where exactly he had been for over a month now and interrogate him completely, a prospect which intrigued me. There was no time to dwell on this however, as I realized that there was still nothing prepared to eat for dinner this evening.

"Ed...what are you doing? Could you please peel the potatoes," I begged, slamming an open window shut through which an icy December breeze had been whistling and frowning across at him, as he peered through my DVDS and slipped a few out of the shelf, ignoring me entirely. I turned to eye Keira pleadingly, but she was too busy cooing over the crib in the corner...

"We should watch this!" Ed piped up, holding up 'The Notebook', before flushing and realizing that the film in question was rather feminine and dropping his hand to his side awkwardly, unsure how to subtly place it back on the shelf. I smiled at him fondly.

"On Christmas Eve? Romantic, but too depressing! Pick something more upbeat! A...a musical!" I grinned, forgetting myself and the dinner we were supposed to be preparing, before spinning on the spot and crying in the lowest voice I could muster, "Summer lovin'...had me a blast!"