The Truth

I pulled away from Johnny, horrified, my heartbeat pounding in my ears.

"Married?" I repeated, my voice sounding oddly faint...distant.

He nodded silently, before opening his mouth slightly reluctantly to give an explanation. "After I confessed how I felt to you, you made me see things straight Alice. I wait for things, you see...I would have waited for you. But you practically said that that was the difference between me and you, and I realized you were right! Women always are! So I figured I should move on as quickly as possible, came home, thought things over, and popped the question to Vanessa...and she...she said yes!" He said brightly, with a glimmer of a smile.

"Oh. Well then," I said in the same high tones, and as I backed away from him, lost for anything more to say, my vision blurring as hot tears which I couldn't prevent filled my eyes, his false smile faded as quickly as it had come.

"Oh...Alice," he breathed softly, his voice kind and almost pitying. "Don't...please, don't look at me like that...less than a week ago you said you felt nothing for me, what was I supposed to do? Grovel until you realized you felt the same? Or at least give myself a chance at happiness with another woman? I'm sorry...I wish...but I can't...things are different now, plus there's the whole age gap with you and me! I thought this was what you wanted. I'm sorry," He moaned, his face clouded in confusion.

"Don't be sorry. Not your fault," I heard myself mumbling vaguely, but Johnny merely gazed at me, his face still unusually white, his expression unfathomable. He struggled, seeming on the verge of saying something important, but the door on his left burst open suddenly, and we both jumped.

"Johnny, I've decided on lilies for the wed... oh! What are you doing here?!" Vanessa demanded, catching sight of me, her face immediately forming into it's familiar scowl. I saw Johnny's face tinge with pink behind her.

"I uh...just came to... to say something stupid to Johnny..." I mumbled, avoiding her glinting green eyes.

"Oh...and you've heard the news, I expect? My wedding?" She said slyly, her eyes flashing almost as if she was sizing me up. I felt my eyes sting painfully with the effort of holding back tears.

"Our wedding," Johnny corrected her swiftly, a muscle twitching in his jaw out of irritation.

"Mine, ours, whatever," She sighed with a careless flap of her hand. "It's wonderful news though, right babe?" She asked, taking his hand and smiling up at him as I watched.

"Mmm...yeah, great," Johnny muttered vaguely in response, his eyes still fixed on me. Vanessa, spotting this, looked incensed and pulled him down into a rough forceful kiss, knowing the hurt she was causing.

They broke away, and never until that moment had I felt so lost, so shut out from Johnny. His chocolate eyes were so deep and piercing that I could no longer look at him, could no longer accept that though Johnny's expression as he looked at me was full of regret and a longing gaze that would make Lucy squeal and make wedding arrangements for the two of us, it was Vanessa's palm his fingers were curled around, not mine. It was Vanessa who's left hand bore a ring with a sparkling diamond the size of a fifty pence piece, not mine. And it was her he had chosen, not me.

I heard myself invent some pathetic excuse for leaving, and slipped out of the door before Johnny could protest, making my way down the path as though in a dream. I vaguely felt a single cold raindrop meet my warm skin, before the sky opened and it literally came cascading down, soaking me to the skin as I shivered, heading towards the nearest bus stop and fumbling for my purse before something caught my eye. There was a split second to snatch a copy up, before I began heading home.