Chapter 9

Louis POV

"Last set of the day lads, let's make it a good one before the scrimmage Saturday," I yell at my team.  The role of team captain was something I took very seriously, and I knew the first scrimmage of the season could make or break our chances at a successful season.

As I finish my last drill, I go to the bench and grab a towel, wiping the sweat off my brow.   I grab my phone out of my gym bag and check the time. Crap!  It was already 5:30 and I had to meet Alexia at 6:30 to work on that dumb Chemistry assignment. 

As I grab my bag and head towards the locker room, I spot Horan sprinting towards the fence.  I'm about to call out to him and tease him about his date last night, when I realize he is running towards a small fan club of girls waiting along the fence.  I observe him and his cheesy attempts at flirtation as I leave.  Niall would always being Niall- the biggest flirt I knew.  That's why it surprised me so much to hear he was actually going on a date. 

Deciding it wasn't any of my business, I headed to the locker room to shower and get a quick bite to eat before that godforsaken chemistry assignment took over the rest of my night. 

********

"You're late." Alexia says to me with a disgusted look as I open the door to the chemistry lab at precisely 6:45. 

"Some of us have lives you know," I say with a smile, knowing it will only frustrate her more.  I had to say I enjoyed getting into Alexia's head.  She got so frustrated over absolutely nothing that it was rather entertaining. 

"Are you implying I don't have a life?"

"Not at all," I smirk taken back by her fiery response.

"Can we please talk about some Chemistry now?" she sighs.  In a sense, I feel bad for her.  I mean she was obviously intelligent and cared a lot about her success in school, and here she was stuck with me for this project.  But at the same time, she could learn a few things about not being so obsessed with her schoolwork and she could help me pass chemistry while she's at it. 

Alexia drones on and on about an idea for our proposal.  I just nod.  I mean we are going to do what she wants anyway so it doesn't really matter what I think is good.  I space off for a while when Alexia brings me back into reality.

"So does Thursday night work for you then?"

"For what?"

"For our weekly time to work on the project.  We can add additional time as necessary," she sighs.

"Ya sure," I say.  She wouldn't need me every week anyway. 

Alexia begins to gather her things and I assume that this meeting is over.  Thank God.  "So how was Horan last night," I grin.

"We had a great time." I know she's trying to keep a straight face but I can see her cheeks begin to flush. 

"Oh it looked like, gotta say Hollaway you were a lot snugglier on the first date than I expected, didn't strike me as a first date kinda girl."

"I'm not a first date kinda girl, thank you very much," she replies sternly. "And how was your dinner?"

"Just wonderful," I reply. My mind tells me otherwise but that wasn't for Alexia to know. 

"Good," Alexia remarks, obviously at a loss for what to say next.  A tension falls between us, and I'm not sure what to make of it.  Alexia begins to stand up and walk towards the door. 

My mind flashes back and forth between making the comment, or not making it.  Normally, I wasn't a guy to care much about other people's relationships, and certainly not the relationship of someone that was not even close to being my friend.  But there was something about Alexia that made me feel like she needed some warning.  Some protection. Although I wasn't sure what was coming over me,  the old Louis appeared for just a moment.

"Alexia!" I call out. She turns around and looks at me.

"Be careful with Niall, okay.  He's quite the flirt."  She gives me a questioning look and then walks out the door.