Chapter 36

Alexia POV

"I told you mom, I have a big test this week in Chemistry, we can go out for lunch but we can't be traipsing around town all day long" I lecture my mother, who had dropped by unannounced for a visit. I suspected this visit was less of a "I was in the area" and more of a "I haven't heard from you in weeks and needed to make sure you were alive". Its true I had been avoiding my mother recently. After the last chemistry test I had been afraid to say that I was doing fine in my classes, when really it wasn't quite that simple.

"I just thought it would be nice for you to get off of campus for a while. You can't study twenty-four hours a day dear." My mom doesn't like my suggestion of staying on campus for lunch, as I expected.

"Mom, you have to understand when you drop by unannounced like this that I already had a schedule in place." I start to argue with my mother but realize its just taking away more time from my day. I guess I'll settle for a compromise. "I guess we can go out to eat. But something quick, I have three chapters to review tonight for my test." My mom gives a satisfied smile and I can tell that she is pleased she won me over. Now if I could avoid the subject of academia long enough to make it through lunch.

We walk out the door of my dorm and towards the car, my mom rattling on about some work drama. I swear that's all she talked about anymore, how much she hated her job. Its when we've almost reached the parking lot that I spot him. Walking towards us with a soccer ball lodged under his right arm. I try to quicken my pace as to not be caught with my mother, but he spots me.

"Hey Alexia" he gives a polite wave. Were we friends now? Had our little conversation on the soccer field the other night changed our relationship that much that we now acknowledged each other in public places?

"Hi Louis" I respond politely, hoping this will be the end of the conversation so my mom doesn't ask any questions about him later.

"Wanna study for the chem test later? I've made loads of flashcards" to my dismay Louis continues the conversation, stopping just far enough away from us to avoid an awkward introduction with my mother.

I nod my head. "Sure." It looks like Louis finally gets the hint that I'm not in the mood for conversation.

"See you later then" he waves and continues walking. A breathe a sigh of relief that my mom didn't interrupt. Louis is no more than twenty feet away from us when my mom begins her questioning.

"Now who is that Alexia? He's nice looking."

I roll my eyes, I knew my mom's silence wouldn't last long. "Louis Tomlinson mom. No he's not my boyfriend just my lab partner." I can almost see my mom's thoughts racing through her head, trying to make the connection between what I just said and what I had told her about my lab partner.

"Lab partner? He's not the one that was being so awful to you now was he?" I slide into the passenger seat of my mom's black sedan. I wasn't sure how to answer her question anyway. Explaining the love hate relationship that Louis and I had was more difficult than explaining quantum physics.

"Well...ya that's him." I start off my mom gives me a look of shock. "But he's different know, he's really changed since I've first met him. We get along quite well actually."

"Maybe your studious habits rubbed off on him a bit." My mom smiles. Doubt that. I think to myself, but give my mother a polite nod.

"Well he seems like a nice gentlemen, I suppose he has a girlfriend at the moment." My mom was constantly trying to play matchmaker for me. I think she was secretly terrified that her daughter would never find someone and would end up alone for the rest of her life. Sometimes I had to remind her that I was just eighteen, I had years of my life left before she needed to start worrying.