Chapter 3

Today was a new day. A new start. Maybe I would be more talkative, less self-conscious of what others thought of me. Maybe I wouldn't be classified as the quiet one. I had a blank slate. A new page to begin my story. The story of Alexis Hollaway the college freshman, confident, talkative, but still smart. I look at my bold green eyes in the mirror again, letting off my most flirtatious smile. That's it. That's what I need. That will get me a boyfriend who-

"What on earth are you doing Alexia?" Marie interrupts my self-declared pep talk. I feel my cheeks turn hot. I was caught red handed.

"I'm practicing my smile." I say with a laugh in a voice that could barely convince myself.

"Your smile is fine. That is creepy." She says and we both laugh. "Are you ready for class?" She asks. We had decided to walk to class together, since our first classes were in buildings nearly stacked on top of each other.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I say grabbing my backpackers and slinging it over my shoulder. "Why does Chemistry have to be first?" I curse myself for putting my most difficult class first thing in the morning.

"A little nervous?" Marie laughs as we exit our dorm room.

"I just hear it's so hard." I exclaim.

"At least you don't have Elementary Algebra. I hear that's a real killer," Marie says with a grin.

"I'm sure," I say with a roll of my eyes.

We make our way onto the sidewalks of campus, filled with students running in every direction. I suppose everyone figured they had to go to their first class of the semester, if only for a day. I spot someone with a frappucino in hand and am instantly jealous. I should have gotten some coffee in my system to hyper me up. Or maybe not, I did have a class to sit through.

The morning breeze flows softly through the trees and the sun warms my skin. It is really a beautiful day outside and I can only hope my first day at college will go as well.

"Calvert Hall on our left and Peterson Science Building on our right. How convienent." Marie says as we reach the fork in the road.

"Perfect," I reply staring at the large brick building that will hold my first college science course.

"Well good luck!" Marie says.

"You too," I smile and we part ways. I make my way up the concrete steps and take a deep breath. Opening the door I am surrounded by a bussle of people moving in every direction. I only hope I can find my class. I begin to search for numbers on the wall. 134. 138. I need 157. I keep walking pushing my way through the crowds. 124. Great now I was going the wrong way. I let out an irritated groan.

"Need help finding your room?" I hear a familiar voice. I turn around to see the familiar face of Niall smiling at me. I start to get nervous.

"Um ya that would be great!" I say with a smile. He was really going to think I was an idiot. Niall looks at me for a moment, like he is waiting for me to say something. What else was I supposed to say?

"What room?" He finally asks after what feels like a minute of awkward silence. Oh. I hadn't told him what room I was trying to find.

"157," I say. Niall begins walking back the way I came.

"Chemistry huh?" he asks. We take a sharp turn down a corridor I hadn't seen earlier. So that's what went wrong.

"Um yeah." I say not sure what else to do.

"A friend of mine from soccer, he took Chemistry last year, said it was the worst thing ever. I think he even has to retake it."

"Oh," I say. That was not a good sign. But that was a soccer player. They probably didn't put much effort into anything. "That's not good," I say with a smile.