Chapter 39

Alexia POV

"And he even brought her ice cream. Can you believe that?" Marie babbles on to Zayn. She couldn't get over the fact that Louis had come to our room to apologize after missing a study session, I, however, could very much get over the fact. I was still hurt by the whole incident, and Louis and I had returned to a very professional relationship. No study dates in our futures.

"Obviously that wasn't the gesture that Alexia was looking for." Zayn says looking over to me. I shrug. 

"Should we get going to the stadium soon? I want to make sure we get a good seat." I say, trying to change the conversation to something not so focused on me and my tumultuous relationship with Louis Tomlinson.

"Really invested in this soccer game suddenly?" Marie teases.

"No, but it is the championship game, its going to be busy." Zayn nods his head in agreement and we gather our belongings to walk towards the stadium. The air is unusually warm for late November, but I'm not complaining, it was the perfect day to sit on the bleachers. 

We arrive at the stadium and find seats about five rows up. Close enough to see the game, but hopefully far enough away to avoid an flying soccer balls. For an hour until the game starts there are tons of people here, and for once I am actually glad that I convinced my friends to come out early. 

"Concession stand?" I ask, and everyone nods in agreement. I was going to need something to keep me entertained throughout this game. We make our way back up the steep stairs of the stadium and towards the concession stand. Its only when we are waiting in line that I realize we are standing behind the black warm-up suits of the entire soccer team. 

"Alexia, imagine seeing you here," I stiffen at the sound of Niall's voice and I feel my heartbeat faster as he turns around to face me. Hate was a strong word, and it wasn't that it hated Niall. But I don't think you can ever particularly like someone who cheated on you practically in front of you. Niall would forever bring a taste of disgust to my mouth.

"Niall," I say politely but hoping to give the impression that this was not a conversation that I wanted to continue. He doesn't get the hint.

"So come to cheer on your favorite player in the championship game?" He says with a smirk that makes my stomach coil.

"Just came to watch the game," I reply stoically. It's obvious that Niall hasn't lost any of his charm since we broke up. 

"Oh c'mon, Alexia you don't have to be so cold. We never really did talk about it. We should sometime really. We were good together you know," he flashes his pearly white teeth. 

I'm not sure what to respond to that and I definitely want to get out of the situation, but unfortunately the line has nearly doubled since we've been standing here and a bag of popcorn is calling my name. He'll get the hint if I just stop responding to him right? There's no need to put on a big show because that's exactly what he wants. 

"C'mon Horan, leave the girl alone." My internal monologue is interrupted by a familiar British accent. I turn to see Louis walking back from the concession window, Gatorade in hand. 

"Ah Tommo, just having a little chat. It's been a while and we are just catching up." Niall replies back snarkily. I can still sense the tension between the two of them. 

"Sounded to me like Alexia isn't in the mood to catch up. Besides whatcha doing chattin' up a girl before the big game. Gotta stay focused mate." Louis catches my gaze as he walks away but I stay silent. Niall immediately turns around and stops talking to me, which I am thankful for. 

I'm surprised Marie can hold it in her for as long as she does, because as soon as we arrive back in our seats she's as energetic as always.

"What was that all about?"

Zayn rolls his eyes. I can't believe he's put up with us all semester. Especially with the amount of drama that seems to surround us on a daily basis.

"I don't know but thank God it's over." I sigh, hoping Marie will drop the topic.

"Louis stepping in like that, I think he really likes you Alexia." Marie adds. It has to be the thousandth time that she's said that to me, and honestly its gotten quite frustrating. If Louis liked me all that much he wouldn't screw me over half the time. If Louis liked me all that much I wouldn't being doing a constant balancing act between hating his guts and thinking he was a decent human being. Now this was just another thing for Marie to add to her compilation of things Louis has done that could be viewed as romantic gestures. 

I roll my eyes. "He hates Niall's guts that all it is." I grab a handful of popcorn and shove it in my mouth.

"See this is what she does, she denies all the attraction that's going on between the two of them. Its so obvious though." Marie says quietly and I hear Zayn chuckle to himself.

"I can hear you, you know." I say, shooting daggers through my eyes to my best friend. 

"That's the point." She responds with a sarcastic smile and I can't help but smile back, I really had my hands full with this one. 

"Mind if we squeeze in here?" I hear a familiar voice and turn to see Harry and Leah walking towards us.

"Of course." I respond, and they take a seat next to me. 

"Big game today huh" Harry says trying to make awkward small talk. I pray that he doesn't bring up anything about what happened between Louis and I recently. I need a different topic than that Brit for a while. 

"It is. Hopefully its a good one." 

"Lou said they were good, but that our team should have it in the bag. I guess one of the other team's star players got injured last week."

I try not to flinch at the mention of Louis. "Well that's too bad. I hope we do well!"

The players run out on the field and I try to not to focus on a familiar brunette head as the announcer comes over the loudspeaker.