sixteen

"See what you've done!" I shout.

"Don't panic," Harry says fairly calmly.

"Don't panic? Don't panic? How can I not panic? We're stuck in pitch black elevator--"

A light suddenly switches on. Harry sits his phone on the ground, the light emitting from the flash lense. The small space is illuminated in dim light.

Harry  takes a seat on the floor, leaning back against the wall.

"I told you not to push all those buttons," I snap. "I fucking told you."

Harry rolls his eyes. "Will you pipe the fuck down? This has happened before. They'll come for us."

I turn, scanning the buttons for the emergency call button.

"Don't even try," he says. "It's broken."

"Well shouldn't they fix it?" I ask, my voice shrill.

"They should, but all the maintenance people here are dipshits."

I sigh and run a hand through my hair. "Well, how long are we going to be here? We have to drop off the file."

Harry stares at me for a second before bursting into laughter. "You're stuck in a small, compact elevator with me, someone you clearly despite, and you're worried about dropping off the file?"

I crack a smile. He has a point. "I guess you're right," I sigh. I slowly take a seat by Harry, near the light. "And for the record, I don't despite you.

This causes Harry to laugh more. "That's a real joke," he snorts.

"I don't" I protest. "You're just an asshole."

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"Well, you could be nicer to people."

"And where would that get me?"

"I don't know...friends? A girlfriend?"

"How do you now I don't have a girlfriend?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Oh...sorry." I blush.

He laughs again. "I'm just teasing," he says. "You're so gullible."

"I'm not gullible," I snap.

"You know, you really deny things a lot."

"I deny things that aren't true."

"Right." Harry snorts.

"Oh, look. You're being an asshole again." I fake a smile at him and cross my arms over my chest.

Harry laughs. "Again? I thought I was always an asshole."

"True," I say. "You behave in this constant state of asshole continuum."

He laughs again. "At least we can agree on something."

I smile. "Yeah,"I say.

Harry sighs and takes a pack of mint gum from the pocket of his slacks. My mind flashes  to when our lips brushed in his car, the way his breath smelled like spearmint. I avert my eyes as he unwraps a piece and pops it into his mouth.

"Want one?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I only chew watermelon gum."

Harry raises his eyebrows. "Why?"

I shrug. "It's the best flavor."

"That's bullshit."

"No, it's not.'

"Mint lasts the longest."

"So? Watermelon tastes the best."

"No it does not."

"Yes it does."

"No it--"

"Enough!" I shout and we both laugh. We really do argue about everything, including flavor of gum. I'd rather argue with him about trivial things, though, than insulting each other.

"So tell me, Rosalie," Harry says. "What's the real reason you moved to Portland?"

"I'm not answering that," I say.

"Why not? Got a dirty little secret?" The tone in his voice make me shudder.

"No," I tell him firmly. "No I don't." My heart pounds loudly in my chest.

"Then tell me."

"I know you're just mad I moved into that apartment."

He stiffens. "What do you mean?"

"You're obviously upset I moved there. Who lived there before?"

Harry's shoulders relax slightly. "Uh...I don't remember," he says, his voice having an edge to it.

"Oh." I know he's hiding something. Or, more than one thing. With Harry, I could never know.

"What was your reason for moving to Portland?" I ask Harry.

"I was sick of Britain."

"Well, I was sick of New York."

"Bullshit."

"No, it's not," I say. "I think your reason is bullshit."

"Why? You know nothing about me, Rosie."

"You  know nothing about me, either."

"I have you file right here." He smirks.

"Well..." I'm unable to think of a response.

"I still think your a liar," Harry says.

"Takes one to know one."

"That it does." The corners of Harry's mouth turn down slightly.

We sit silently for a few moments, the small elevator illuminated by the soft glow of the light of Harry's phone. I look at my lap and notice Harry and I am sitting  so close to him. I can smell the mint of his gum from where I sit, along with the faint scent of cologne.

"Do you really love him?" Harry asks out of the blue.