twenty eight

I scribble edits in my manuscript, trying desperately to focus. Harry hasn't spoken to me, or acknowledged me, at all today. He swivels around in his chair, occasionally chewing on the end of his pen. I know he sees me staring, but he doesn't meet my gaze.

I'm dying to talk to him; to ask him what the hell happened between us. Does he even know? He's insulted and snapped at me countless times, so why did he lean in and kissed me?

And why on earth did I enjoyed it

"Psst."

I snap my gaze away from Harry over to Zayn.

"You all right?" He questions.

I nod distantly, clicking my red pen. "Just distracted," I mumble.

Zayn smirks. "By Styles?"

I quickly shake my bead. "Oh, no. Just...this manuscript is shit." I laugh shakily.

Zayn chuckles. "Yeah, every once in awhile you get a flop. You best just toss it now and get to the good ones."

I nod. "Thanks."

Zayn returns to his own work and my eyes flick to the clock on the wall. 10:30. Lunch break isn't for another hour and a half. I decide I need coffee and I get up to make my way to the break room.

Luckily, the pot of coffee on the machine is still warm, and I pour myself a mug. I flash back to when Harry and I had tea together, and couldn't stop laughing.

I shake away the memory and add milk to my coffee. The warm drink coats my throat and I instantly feel a bit calmer.

Someone enters the break room and I turn, half expecting to see Harry. Instead I find Petrie, who shoots me a friendly smile. Her soft blonde locks are curled into pretty waves and her blue eyes squint as she smiles.

"Any more coffee left?" She asks, peering into the pot.

"A bit," I reply, leaning against the counter.

"It's just a coffee kind of day, isn't it?"

"I couldn't agree more."

We laugh a bit as Perrie pours herself a mug. She tucks some hair behind her ear and leans next to me on the counter.

"So," she says, a cheeky smile crossing her lips. "Zayn is taking me out to dinner Friday night." She blushes and looks into her coffee.

I shover her shoulder lightly, my jaw dropping. "Seriously? That's amazing!"

She laughs and nods, her cheeks a rosy pink.

"When did he ask you?" I inquire.

"Yesterday, after work. He was so nervous, you should have seen," she gushes.

"How cute," I say, grinning.

Perrie nods and blushes again. "So, how's Aaron, then?" She wiggles her eyebrows up and down and I laugh.

"He's pretty well," I reply, my smile fading. "We're still working through some things, I guess."

Perrie nods, her brow furrowing. "I hope everything works out," she says earnestly.

I don't.

"Me too," I say, ignoring my thoughts.

Perrie sighs and grins. "Well, back to work."

"I expect full details after Friday," I say as we exit the break room.

"Of course!" She chirps, walking back to her workspace.