eighteen

Harry exhales and picks his things up from the ground. He briskly walks out of the elevator without a word.

I follow, running a hand through my hair.

"How long were you two in there?" Mr. Greenman asks.

"I don't know," I say. "Harry pushed all the buttons so it must have jammed the system."

Mr. Greenman rolls his eyes. "Dammit, I've told him to stop with that. Sorry about that, Rose."

I shrug. "It's all right."

Mr. Greenman checks his watch. "I hate to do this to you, Rose, but do you mind working late tonight? I have two extra manuscripts that need to be edited by tomorrow--"

I nod. "Of course. I'll get started now."

I walk back to my workspace and sit down, shuffling my papers around. I see that Harry has left already. Thank God. He's the absolute last person I want to see.

I'm flustered by Harry's words to me. I am not pretentious. Though, I admit, it felt good to strike him that way. He deserved it after all the things he's said to me since we've met.

But did he mean all the things he said? Am I a snob? What do I do that makes him think that? Why would he judge me so quickly?

What did I ever did to Harry to make him hate me?

The clock tells me it's four o'clock and I get to work. I text Aaron asking if he can pick me up and he says yes. I'll get the chance to apologize to him for what I said and everything will be okay.

My red pen flies across the page. Mr. Greenman checks up on me every so often and thanks me again for staying late. He says he'll run my file to Mr. Crystal another day.

By eight o'clock, I've finished one manuscript and half of the second one. Mr. Greenman thanks me again as I walk out the door.

I dial Aaron's number. When I get his voicemail, I sigh.

The air is freezing cold and I wrap my jacket tighter around me. I don't see his car anywhere and my heart sinks when I realize he's probably not coming...again.

I really need to talk to Aaron about this.

I shiver and sit on the bench. I won't cry this time. I begin to rethink my feelings for Aaron. He forgets me all the time, and he barely makes time for me. Is he really at work? Or is he lying?

No, my mind snaps. He's not lying, why would he lie to you? He's busy at work.

I try his phone again and hang up when I get voicemail for the second time. Why is he forgetting me so much?

He doesn't treat you right, does he?

Though I hate to admit it, Harry was right, I need to talk go him about that, or it's over.

At least it's not raining.

I look around. I don't see Harry's car in the lot, either. I'm relieved and disappointed at the same time, although I don't know why. He's a jerk, and I want nothing to do with him.

Be careful what you wish for, Harry said in the elevator. What was that supposed to mean?