Unveiled

Kleio winced as her hair was pulled too tightly into a pointlessly fanciful up-do that would soon be hidden beneath her white veil. She sat in silken petticoats, looking at her pale reflection in the mirror, watching her rebellious curls stray from the maid's tireless hands.

Kleio's vision was blocked as a second maid stood before her. She closed her eyes as pink powder was applied to her cheeks. When she opened her eyes again she saw the frown on the maids face before the maid pinched her cheeks, hoping to put a blushing glow on Kleio's pale face. The effort was valiant, Kleio knew, but her skin was too pasty. She always looked ghastly white and pink powder would not change that aspect of her complexion.

Eleanor, the head maid, as Kleio had learned, clapped her hands,"Hurry up girls, we don't have much time."

She heard Eleanor walk across the room and stand behind her.

"Move." She said to the maid before taking over Kleio's hair. With firm hands Kleio's rebellious curls were pulled away, hidden inside a voluptuous hairdo. Kleio looked at her reflection before her eyes lifted to meet Eleanor's in the mirror. Eleanor's gray, withered eyes showed no emotion but her voice was warm and mellow as she spoke,"He is cold, but he will not hurt you."

"What is his name?" Kleio asked, her eyes darting towards the wedding dress that hung from the wooden wardrobe in the corner of the guest chamber.

Eleanor shook her head softly,"You know I cannot say."

Kleio lowered her eyes and allowed herself to be led from her seat in the chair to the wardrobe. The maids lowered the wedding dress and allowed her to step into it. She felt the silky material pull along her skin as they brought it up her body. She felt the ties draw taught against her back as the corset was laced. The veiled tiara was placed upon her head, the sheer material pulled back so that she could still see. Eleanor led her to the mirror.

"You are beautiful," Eleanor said. Kleio stared at her reflection as the veil dropped over her eyes, filming over her vision and leaving nothing but a white glaze.

The maids escorted her out of the guest chamber and down the manor halls. Stone walls and ceiling arches surrounded her. Dark, velvet rugs ran beneath her feet and bright daylight shone through wide windows. But not even the light of day could obscure the darkness inside that place.

They walked downstairs and turned to the right, going down the hall until they reached the wooden doors that opened up to the small church inside. Waiting for her was the king's Chief Advisor. He was to give her away as this was a marriage ordained by the king.

No words passed between them as the chief advisor took her arm and placed himself beside her. The maids bowed and then scattered, only Eleanor stayed behind. The wooden doors opened and Kleio was forced to walk into something she could hardly see.

The church room gave scattered gasps as they saw the bride on the chief advisor's arm. A pale ghost in frothy wedding attire walked down the aisle. Crystalline beads were sewn in wide, swirling patterns along the hem of her dress, straying upwards in the silky fabric that hid her legs. The sleeves were sheer and the modest neckline had the tiniest jewels sewn into it.

Kleio's face was hidden behind her veil and for that she was thankful. She did not wish to see who waited for her at the altar. She did not wish to be seen by anyone. She kept her chin up and shoulders back, but her eyes were lowered to the bouquet of roses she held in her hand.

She had never liked roses. They looked of blood and yet they were too sweet. Too often used.

The red velvet carpet came to an end at her feet and she ascended the stone stairs. The chief advisor released her arm and left her beside her husband to be. Kleio could not see his face, but she saw his arm enclosed in dark cloth. She saw his gloved hand at his side. She saw his royal boots beside her white dress. She could not really see him and yet his presence frightened her.