For The Sake Of Tradition

Kleio sighed contentedly. The sun was so warm. The end of summer warmth that made one sleepy. There was a nice breeze too, brushing across her like fairy dust. She closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh air.

"Of all things, this is what you chose?" Cyris asked beside her. She opened her eyes and turned to look at him, his shaggy hair wind tossed and his cool eyes guarded. She nodded, squinting one eye in the sun. Cyris said nothing, he just looked away and stared into the field.

It was beautiful there. A single tree stood in the distance, great and tall against the blue back drop of the sky. They sat in a sea of daisies, yellow dandelions popping out here and there. Though it was not part of the encampment, it was the most beautiful thing Kleio had seen at the Festival.

"Why?" Cyris finally asked, his voice quiet.

Kleio looked at him, a small smile on her face,"If I am to form a partnership, I must learn about the other person."

"No. I mean why here?" He looked at her. He meant why sit so far from the Festival.

When Kleio had told him that her condition was for him to spend the afternoon with her, he had not seemed surprised. All he said was,"Very well then."

Kleio had told him to meet her in the outer field at noon and though he did not seem enthused about their meeting, he did not object. She had arrived early and spread a blanket on the grass. She had brought a small basket of bread and cheese and grapes. She had found the most perfect spot and then she waited until she saw his dark figure strolling towards her.

Cyris looked out of place in his black suit. He looked like a lost shadow in the bright sunshine. When he sat beside her, Kleio found herself incredibly nervous. She tried to ignore the butterflies and then think up questions that she could ask him.

Kleio had a million questions of course, but since part of her condition was that he had to answer any questions she asked, she decided to leave the unimportant questions alone for now. At this moment, she could ask anything and he would be required to answer her.

"What did you think of me when you first met me?" She asked. She decided she'd rather know his general impression of her before she got close to him. She did not want to assume anything and then find out that he truly disliked her.

"I thought you were too young, too naive to be a bride. You did not seem strong enough to handle the courts," His answer was honest and though it was a little harsh, Kleio respected his opinion. She wasn't entirely sure what to say, but to her surprise, he continued to speak.

"I believed you to be too beautiful and full of heart to be married to a man like me. In my head, I thought that a silly little chit of the courts would have been better than you," Only Cyris could say something so kind only to follow with something so rude. The more he spoke, the more disheartened Kleio became.

"But I realize I was wrong. Perhaps you are naive when it comes to the game of court, but you are strong and your full heart is an advantage, not a weakness. While I disapprove of the Royal marriage traditions, I cannot help but think that the king made a fine choice," Cyris did not look at her and his voice was so monotone she did not realize he was praising her until late.

Kleio was speechless. She had not dared to think he was actually content with being married to her. Perhaps he did not mind her as much as she thought he did. She decided that her best response was silence, because whatever she said would probably be less than graceful. Perhaps another question would be answered.

  "Did you ever picture yourself with a wife?"

"Yes. Not for a couple more years, but yes."

"Was it Addelaide?"