A Demure Puppet

Kleio did not see Cyris again for two days. The festival was half over and Kleio hadn't spent a moment of it with him. Instead, she found her days in the company of Drakos. He made her forget about her awful marriage. He made her forget about her strange husband.

   They had grown quite close and Kleio wasn't sure if the butterflies she felt in her stomach were right. After all, she had only known Drakos a few days and she had so brazenly opened up her heart and mind to him. He probably knew every detail in her life up until her recent marriage. That was something they never talked about.

Still, the moments they spent together were precious and she couldn't seem to stop smiling around him. Eleanor and Alice were wise to keep quiet about the matter, but Kleio heard their hushed whispers as they talked about their lady's new companion. She tried to ignore them. Tried to pretend that spending time with Drakos was something she could do.

It was the fourth day of the festival and that night was a dance. The whole campsite was buzzing with feverish excitement at the idea of dancing underneath the stars, warmed by blazing bonfires and sultry wine. Even Kleio was excited at the prospect.

Eleanor and Alice were helping her get ready for the evenings activities. She had once again spent the day with Drakos. They had parted with a lingering goodbye and Kleio couldn't get his sweet smile out of her mind's eye. Her handmaidens brushed and styled her hair, applied powder to her face and selected her jewelry. It was as if Kleio could not see them, she was so lost in day dreams.

"Milady," Alice spoke softly. Kleio snapped to reality and looked into the wide blue eyes of her handmaiden.

"Would you like to choose a dress," Alice gestured to two dresses laid across the bed. One was a deep red, gorgeous silken layers and a scooped neck. Kleio thought it a beautiful dress compared to the cobalt blue one, with a sweat heart neckline and simple sleeves. She pointed to the red dress.

Eleanor breathed a sigh of relief and smiled happily,"I'm sure Cyris shall love you in that color."

Kleio froze. Red was the color of Cyris' house. She did not wish to wear anything for her husband.

"I've changed my mind. The blue one," Kleio said coldly. She turned away from her handmaidens, refusing to watch their disappointed and knowing faces. She didn't like how easily those ladies saw through her. How easily they knew what was in her heart.

  They finished helping Kleio get ready and then they escorted her outside where Cyris waited. Kleio sucked in a breath, surprised to see her husband. He was dressed in a dark grey with linings of silver. His black hair was long and fell past his ears. His eyes were dark and guarded as they looked at her.

Kleio felt her heart rate quicken. He looked handsome, though she hated to admit it. She remember how gently he had touched her a few nights ago, how he kissed her. It made her blush furiously and she looked away from him.

"You look lovely," He said. The words sounded forced and cold. Kleio chose not to respond.

The skies were darkening and the sun had hid itself behind the trees. The moon could be seen high above and soon the stars would be out. Twigs snapped all around them, flames consuming the wood. Crickets sang and jaunty music faintly played alongside nature's chorus.

"Come, let us go," Cyris held his arm out for his wife. Kleio felt a rush of anger fill her. He kissed her, then disappeared for two days and he expected her to accept his arm? He was mad. She walked past him without saying a word and much to her surprise, he didn't stop her.

Alice followed quickly and Kleio chose to ignore how Eleanor hung back with Cyris. She chose to ignore the faint whispering behind her. The tension emanating from the whole group.