A Change Of Heart

Kleio sat with Celeste in the living room, drinking tea. Outside, the men rode horses across the field. Kleio could hear Anson's shouts of delight and glee from inside the house. Looking out through the window, Kleio could see Anson, sitting in front of Cyris as they galloped back and forth across the field. She couldn't help but smile at her little brother's pure joy.

"I do believe he adores that boy," Celeste hummed with a mother's pride.

They had finished breakfast a half hour before. Both families had eaten together, amiably chatting over tea and toast. The meal was fit for a king, of course. The Lord and Lady Kerrigan were well off in their mountain establishment. Kleio could not help but notice how happy her family was, in this place. She could only wish them such happiness forever.

After breakfast Celeste had invited Kleio to have tea in their parlor. Kleio couldn't refuse. So there she sat, in a red cushioned armchair, looking around a well decorated room. It was very clear that Celeste enjoyed the color red. The walls were red, the tapestries. Vases and ornate plates painted with red designs. Red pillows framed by gold tassels. The room was very warm in a comfortable way.

Celeste sat opposite Kleio, sipping her tea. Today, her auburn hair was braided and hung over her shoulder, pooling in her lap. She wore a splendid dress, cream with golden stitched flowers all over it. Her face was beginning to show age, but in a wise, motherly way. Her brown eyes were so kind and docile, always shining with happiness. She was a lovely woman and Kleio quite liked her.

"What was he like as a boy?" Kleio nodded toward Cyris, who raced passed the window much to Anson's delight.

Celeste offered a small smile, placing her cup down,"He was quiet. He rarely spoke a word."

"Not much has changed then," Kleio said with a small voice.

Celeste chuckled and then shook her head,"He was a sad young boy. His parents died when he was nine."

Kleio choked on her tea. What was she talking about?

"We adopted him, Mordecai and I did. Brought him into our home and raised him as our son. Eleanor was his nanny. She is much like a second mother to him and I am incredibly grateful that she was there to help him grow," Celeste looked out the window thoughtfully.

  Kleio could hardly believe it. Cyris had lost his real family at such a young age. But he was raised in such a loving environment. Why was he so hard and cold? What made him seem so distant from emotions?

"He would simply lose his head if he knew I told you all that. It's best not to mention it," Celeste smiled kindly. Kleio nodded, taking a sip of tea to mask the unexpected shock she felt. Her heart filled with pity for her cold husband.

"He cares for justice, honesty and duty above all else. He is a good man, Kleio. You will be happy with him," Celeste assured.

Kleio didn't agree. She smiled at her mother-in-law, feeling sadness as she remembered his words. You will not be happy here, with me. If only Celeste knew that her son had promised Kleio a lifetime of gloom.

The front door burst open, Anson running down the hall calling out his sister's name. His ruddy face appeared in the doorway and both women looked at him with adoration in their eyes. He was breathless and though he wore a smile, Kleio could not help but fear that he was getting sick again.

"Kleio! Come ride horses with us. It's so much fun!" he cried.

"Anson, don't be rude. Celeste and I are having tea," Kleio gently reprimanded him, casting a worried look to Cyris's mother. Celeste beamed, placing her tea cup down on the table beside her.