A Night In The King's Room

"So, my queen, how do you wish to proceed?" Cyris had returned to his desk, though now he leaned up against it, his arms crossed before him. Kleio stepped forward and seated herself in one of the chairs before him. Her dress fanned out around her feet, the edges of her skirts brushing the top of Cyris' shoes. She removed her cloak and let it drape over the back of her chair.

  This study was much different than the study at home. It was brighter. More torches to light the place, less books and more scrolls. The sitting area was clean and well arranged, everything dusted and warm. However, Kleio missed the old study. It held the promising allure of information and the comforting presence of Nettle.

"This room doesn't suit you," She said. Cyris' eyebrows raised for a flash before he looked around the room as well.

"It will soon enough."

"I suppose, I should live at the palace now," Kleio answered his previous question.

"Are you sure?"

"I don't want to miss important details. I want to be as close to you as I can," She replied. She could hear the resentment in her own voice.

"And your family?"

"They may stay at your manor, Alice will care for them," Kleio said.

Cyris nodded. They kept each other's company in complete silence for a few more moments. Kleio suddenly rose to her feet, wrapping her cloak around her shoulders once more. 

"Where are you going?" Cyris asked.

"Home. I must return to my family. Tomorrow I will move here permanently," Kleio did not bother looking at him.

"I will come with you," Cyris said. Kleio froze and stared at him.

"That's not necessary."

"It's dangerous this late at night. I will not let my wife ride alone," Cyris walked past her and opened the door to his study. He stared at her, waiting for her to exit the room. The way he had said wife perturbed her but she decided to brush it off and let it go.

The two exited the study and Cyris locked it behind them.

Though it was incredibly late, servants still mulled about completing chores that had not been finished earlier in the day. The entire palace felt different. Softer and strange. There was an energy missing that Kleio chose not to think about. She had already dwelt on the loss far too much.

The palace was entirely refurnished and while Kleio hated her husband, she admired that he had given all the old furniture to the poor. It was a kind and selfless thing to do. Something only a humble ruler would think of. Kleio did not agree with the man, but perhaps he would make a great king.

The pair made their way to the stables where they retrieved Cyris' horse, Venger. For a brief second Kleio remembered sitting on that horse in front of him, how close they were and how warm he was. She shook her head at the thought. How could she have been close to someone like him?

They left the castle and rode the hour back to the manor in total silence. The stars winked at them and the moon guided their path. Wind whistled through the grass and the trees danced beneath the night sky. It was beautiful and Kleio found herself falling in love with the land around them. The air was so fresh and bright. She felt almost a twinge of sadness when they returned to the manor and had to enter the warm building.

Cyris and Kleio did not speak since their encounter in the study and Kleio was beginning to think she liked it that way. But as the servants led away their horses and she entered their home she couldn't help but wonder why Cyris insisted on riding with her. He could easily have sent one of the knights. That's what he normally did.