A Promise

Kleio's breakfast was brought to her that morning. She sat up in bed, gingerly eating her meal off a silver platter. She would have liked to eat elsewhere. Perhaps in the dining room. But Lord Cyris wished her nowhere near the preparations for that night's ball.

Breakfast was delicious. Kleio thought it fit for a king, which in turn made her wonder what the king's breakfasts were like. They must be more than what all the lord's ate, right?

Eleanor stood by the bed, her hands folded primly in front of her. Kleio could sense a restrained sort of eagerness and she tried to finish her breakfast as quickly as she could. Kleio thought Eleanor would be disappointed again today, but instead she seemed rather annoyed. Kleio didn't know why and she decided she wouldn't ask.

Eleanor removed the silver platter from Kleio's lap when she finished eating.

"I should like to see the courtyard," Kleio broke the silence.

"Well, perhaps Lord Cyris shall permit you to after we've finished getting you ready for tonight's festivities," Eleanor said, gently taking Kleio's hand and leading her towards the bath.

"He does not like me very much," Kleio said. She felt comfortable in Eleanor's presence. Nothing about the woman was unsettling or terrifying. She was patient and gentle. Everything one could ever want in a mother.

"I would not say that," Eleanor said.

"He says I am too young."

"He does not believe in the giving of young girls to men they do not know," Eleanor opened the door to the bath. Kleio had seen the inside before. It was a grey and white water color of marble. Everything was marble. The floors and walls and ceiling. The bath itself was marble. In there it looked nicer than the sleeping quarters.

Kleio walked behind the vanity to change out of the shameful, red lace dress. She heard Eleanor swishing her hand in the bath water, testing its temperature.

"Lord Cyris had a troubled childhood. He has seen things that no person should ever have to see, let alone a child. His past has made him the man he is today. Just remember that," Eleanor said.

Kleio came into view, wrapped in a towel.

"What was his childhood like?" She asked.

Eleanor looked at her,"It is not my right to tell you."

Eleanor began to pour oils and scented perfumes into the warm water. Once it was thoroughly mixed she looked at Kleio,"I shall leave you to bathe."

And with that Kleio was left alone with her thoughts.

~<>~
Eleanor was combing gently through Kleio's hair. Kleio wore the gown she was to wear at the ball that evening. It was long and heavy, silver beaded chains hung from her shoulders and neck. Metal plates decorating her shoulders. This outfit did not require a corset and it felt unnatural to be in public without wearing one. She felt there was not enough fabric covering her breasts.

"The Kerrigan brides have been wearing these dresses for hundreds of years," Eleanor said. She must have noticed Kleio tugging at the dress where she felt she needed more coverage.

"I'm surprised no one has spilled a goblet of wine on them," Kleio inspected her dress once more.

"Why do you think all the dresses are red?" Eleanor locked eyes with Kleio in the mirror. They both burst into giggles once Kleio saw the sparkle in the older woman's eyes. Red dresses easily hid red stains.

Eleanor began to pull Kleio's hair up, braiding certain locks and pinning others. Kleio sincerely hoped she would not have to endure getting ready like this every day. She did not think she could handle it.