Cold Storm

Kleio woke to a cold draft next to her. When her eyes opened, she realized it was the empty side of the bed where Cyris had lain the night before. She closed her eyes and sighed. His words still echoed in her mind. What if I wanted to touch you? I'm just saying I'd enjoy it if I did. She opened her eyes and groaned in frustration. Why did he have to rattle her so?

Kleio rose from the bed and made her way to the screen where her dress from the previous day hung. Sunlight kissed her chilled skin from the windows as she changed. She moved slowly as her head felt foggy from thoughts and sleep and Cyris. Kleio paused to look in the mirror to make sure she looked presentable thought it made her feel small and weak. There was no one to impress. Certainly not her husband.

Kleio did not want his attentions anyway. She felt a fool for believing that any of them meant anything when he had given them. Cyris had humiliated her and whether his latest confessions were true or false, she decided to assume them as manipulation. A game two could play.

Kleio crept into the hallway and down the stairs, the manor silent, the servants nowhere to be seen. She had something rather important to see to and she knew where to find who she was looking for. She made her way through the main hall and to the kitchen, surprised that no servants resides there either. Turning the corner she saw Eleanor just outside the back door, dumping a pan of soapy water into the ill-weathered grass before returning it to the stone stove.

"Eleanor," Kleio said softly. The woman startled briefly before her gaze settled on Kleio and became gentle. It hardened immediately after. The older woman was not angry, only uncertain of whether Kleio was still angry with her. Kleio offered her a kind smile.

"I've come to apologize. My behavior over the last few weeks was ill and awful and unfair to you. To everyone. I'm so sorry," Kleio cross the room and took one of the woman's weathered hands and knelt before her.

"Get off the ground, my Queen," Eleanor gasped trying to pull away from the humble royalty that knelt before her.

"No. You deserve this and more respect. I am so sorry," Kleio smiled kindly at her caretaker and Eleanor's eyes softened. The elderly woman smiled sweetly before pulling her hand away from Kleio and cupping the young girl's face.

"There is nothing to apologize for. All is well," Eleanor gently tugged on Kleio's hand to make her rise and Kleio obeyed only to throw her arms around the woman's neck. Eleanor stiffened and then hugged her back with so much tender, motherly love. Kleio could not help but think that these were the arms that held Cyris late at night when he awoke from his nightmares. This was the woman he thought his mother in his heart.

Eleanor pulled away and she sucked her teeth in adoration at the sweet girl before her,"I must get back to work."

"Where are the servants?" Kleio looked around the empty kitchen.

"Oh, I gave them the day off. They've all worked so hard," Eleanor said.

"You work harder than anyone. Let me help you," Kleio offered.

"No, I am meant to serve you," Eleanor shook her head vehemently.

"That's an order," Kleio grinned and Eleanor opened her mouth to protest but then closed her mouth nodded her thanks and allowed Kleio to help her.

Eleanor taught Kleio to cook royal foods she had never prepared in her old life. The two women laughed and shared stories. Kleio learned from the woman's wisdom and Eleanor learned more of the young girl's heart. Kleio had never felt such peace in the manor in all her time there and she would treasure the memory forever.

By the time they had finished cooking it was much later than they would normally eat breakfast. They had gotten to distracted talking and took much longer. However, the men still needed to eat so they sought out the rest of family and found them in the parlor. Anson sat beside Cyris on the couch and Kleio's heart melted at the sight.