Lightheaded

Cyris' warm hand held Kleio's as they entered the court room. All the other lords and ladies stood, conversing quietly. The noise was loud with dull chatter, but soft enough that Kleio could not make out any words. She felt a few lords and dukes eye her and Cyris and all of a sudden she felt unease in her gut.

"News of you and Drakos has spread throughout the courts. You have been deemed desirable, so it seems," Cyris said lowly. His tone was neutral and Kleio was unsure whether this was good news or bad news.

Kleio ducked her head so that she would no longer have to look at the men all around them. Cyris let go of her hand and turned to face her. She raised her eyes to meet his. His gaze was serious and thoughtful. She could only wonder what was running through his head.

"I have something I want you to do," He finally said, after surveying the room for a moment. Kleio stiffened. She should have prepared herself for this moment.

"Today's court attendance has been extended to the men only. The ladies will be in another room. A social gathering, if you will. I want for you to build relationships with them. I want you to make some friends. It will be good for you," Cyris said.

Kleio wasn't quite sure what to say. She wanted to believe that this really was outgoing concern for her, but she knew better. He wanted her to establish ties with the downfall of the men of court. As she had learned from her time here, women were men's greatest weakness. They fell prey to desire all to easily and if there were a way for Cyris to hold such power, Kleio had a feeling he would seek it.

This thought process was old and familiar to her. This was how she thought several weeks ago. Lately, she had only been thinking hopeful thoughts of her relationship with Cyris. That was why she was surprised when she mentally told herself she was wrong. This time, it seemed, Cyris really was trying to take care of her. Kleio decided to believe him, just this once.

  Kleio nodded, watching as the ladies around her began to file out of the room, giggling together. She felt sick. So many of these women had lost their husbands because of her. So many men had been locked behind bars because of Cyris' tasks for her. How could she face these ladies? How could she approach them as an equal?

Kleio turned and followed the mass into the room adjacent the courtroom. It was decorated with lace curtains and silk table clothes. Tea and cakes adorned the tables and bright sunlight flooded the room in the most refreshing way possible. The mansion was always so dark and gloomy, this was an absolute dream.

Kleio watched as the ladies split off into their own groups and she stood alone, near the entrance doors, watching as they socialized in bright smiles and musical laughs. She did not belong here and she was more then well aware of it. She found herself walking towards a table in the corner, where she sat alone and drank tea, watching the friends around her.

    After a little while, the room began to darken, the objects becoming more and more difficult to see. Kleio wasn't sure where she was anymore. She didn't know if she was standing or sitting, wether she was up or down. She heard screams and shouts, the harsh scraping of chairs against wood floor. Cool hands touched her face, her forehead. Frantic words spun around her, dizzying in her mind.

Kleio was grateful when it all went black.

                          •<>•

    Kleio woke in her own bed, the sheets cool against her skin. She felt dizzy and confused and incredibly slow. Thinking was difficult and Kleio found it easier to just close her eyes instead of try to process her surroundings.

"You're awake," Cyris said beside her. Kleio opened her eyes again, slowly turning her head to look at him. He looked tired, dark circles rimmed his eyes and his hair was mussed. A shadow of a beard lined his face and he looked so very pale. As though he hadn't eaten in awhile.