A New Era

Anson had restored life to Kleio's heart. Holding the young boy in her arms made her realize just how cold her heart had grown. The presence of her family had stirred something in her, a relief, a peacefulness that she had not felt in so long. The grief her head had pained over faded with every glance of her younger brother's grin.

   Kleio ate dinner with them that night. Even in the soft glow of the firelight, she could see how rosy her brother's cheeks had become. His blue eyes sparkled with glee and he jabbered with his mouth full of food. His appetite was hearty and his youthful spirit stronger than ever. His face had matured ever so slightly and Kleio felt grateful that she could be with him now, watching him grow. She wouldn't miss a thing.

  That night was the first night that she had left her room in weeks. The manor felt cold and empty. Few servants worked there, the majority having been repositioned to the castle. There was solace in the knowledge that Cyris was nowhere near her or her family. Thought she sorrowed for his losses, she still begrudged him.

  After dinner, Kleio sat in the parlor with her father and her brother who lay sleeping in her lap. She gently stroked his hair and her heart felt the urge to weep with joy at their reunion once again.

"You have become so thin and frail," Her father suddenly spoke. She looked up at him, taking in his features. His face was haggard growing up, but had softened over the years. His eyes had grown tired. His dark grey hair was peppered with silver and the weathered lines of frowns and laughs alike adorned him in a map of many decades.

"I suppose I have," She replied. The fire crackled in the hearth, a spark hissed as it jumped from the coals to the stone floor. Orange light danced with shadows along the wall, the room a warm audience.

"You have mourned for long," He said, his eyes staring into the ornate rug beneath their feet. Kleio swallowed.

"It is hard. For I miss him, but he was wrong. He held no quarrel with anyone, only his greed. His death was....sorrowing. Yet, I do not regret it," He said, his voice low.

"I do. There were other ways," Kleio felt her heart stiffen again. She thought of her husband and sighed in aggravation.

"Were there? Any other way would have cost the king his life," Her father met her eyes. His gaze was grave.

"He is not my king," Kleio replied.

"He is your husband."

Kleio looked away. Cyris was her husband. But she hated him. For so many reasons.

"Go to him. Talk to him. He is king now and whether you like it or not, you are queen," Her father said. Kleio knew him to be right.

"Eleanor," Kleio called to the doors. The doors opened and there stood the older lady. She curtsied to her majesty and nodded to Kleio's father.

"Get my riding cloak and have the stable boys prepare a horse. I ride to the castle tonight," She said, her eyes never left her father's.

"Yes, Milady," Eleanor bowed and left the room. Kleio needed to speak with the king.

                                    ~<>~

   Cyris' study doors were thrown open as Kleio marched in, her riding cloak billowed behind her, her gaze settled on her husband. Her eyes were cold yet burned with fire. There he sat, dressed in all black, completely startled at the sight of his wife before him. He dared not move. Just the sight of him made Kleio's heart jump and she felt a twinge of resentment grow.

"You're a coward! A murderer and a monster! You are not a better man than he who killed your parents. You slew him for the throne just as he did to his brother. You lied and you cheated. I hate you. But even more, I hate your dishonesty. You should not have kept me in the dark!" Kleio had never exuded so much strength in her life.

It felt like an out of body experience. She could see herself, towering over him from across the room. She was a force, a power unlike any other woman in the courts. She had changed and she did not know what had changed her, but she knew she had hardened inside. She felt like the cool steel of a blade just sharpened.

Cyris lowered the scroll he held in his hands and leaned back in his chair.

"Tell me why you deceived me," She hissed.

Cyris' solemn face did not change. His eyes had lost all soft regard for her. They were just as guarded as when they were first married.

"Most girls are not given an education. That is not their fault, but societies. They're all so....easily manipulated. But you're not. You're too smart, too curious. I could not go through with my plan and expect anything good to come from you when I had accomplished my task," Cyris began. Kleio's tense shoulders dropped. She felt in her gut she was about to hear something she didn't want to.

"How could I wed a girl fit to be queen if she would hate me for the death of her king? Women like you are clever. But clever women share the same weakness has all women. Their hearts. Women are more sensitive. Women have greater compassion, patience, expression than men. Their hearts are so malleable." Cyris' eyes changed. He looked almost sorrowful for a split second. It was an ironic sorrow, not quite regret, but a reservoir for something better.

"I thought I could romance you. Woo you. Your love for me could grow so great that forgiveness would come around soon enough. The thought of more stolen kisses would pale the thought of my treachery. But you're too smart. You don't fall easily like servant girls. You don't blindly ignore the faults of those you hold dear," Cyris gave an ironic smirk. Kleio's whole body flashed with anger.

"Romance me?"

"It might have worked, had there been more time. You would have fallen for the perfect suitor. A wounded man just learning to open up. A man needing sensitivity and care. You could have fallen easy. But your fondness of me was not great enough to fade the reality that I am."

Kleio's heart dropped to her feet faster than a rock. She felt her gut agape in shame and fury all at once. Her jaw clenched and her eyes narrowed,"You pretended to care for me?"

Cyris did not answer. He just stared at her.

"You wretched bastard," She spat. Kleio had never felt such great anger in all her life. Those words surprised herself, though Cyris seemed unfazed.

Kleio raised her chin and took a deep breath,"Well, I have what I wanted. The truth. You're a horrid man and I hope that the cold of your bed freezes you until the end of time."

Cyris' mouth twitched as if he wanted to smile. His eyes had never seemed so wicked before.

"I will stay by your side. Together, we rule this land. Together, we rule our people. You will no longer hide from me and you will council in my presence. Our crowns will weigh equal upon this kingdom. We will bring a new era. Do I make myself clear?" Kleio's voice was forceful and bitter.

Cyris rose from his chair and walked around his desk. His eyes never left hers, he didn't even blink. His foot steps were slow and deliberate until he stood just before her. He lowered himself to one knee and took her hand. He raised it to his mouth and pressed his lips upon his family crest, the signet of her ring. Kleio felt her insides twist at his touch.

Cyris' eyes were still locked with hers,"My queen."

"In name only," She said lowly.

Cyris drew a wry smile and quietly chuckled in mirth. Those were the words he began their marriage with. They stared at each other and for just a second she thought she saw his eyes flicker with a wistful regret.

A/n: Hello hi. I haven't written anything in forever. I am deeply sorry. I really missed you guys and I missed writing. Please talk in the comments and tell me how your lives are going! I'm sorry this chapter isn't the greatest. Maybe there's too much talking and not enough detail. I'll get better again I promise. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Xoxo