A Stranger's Lips

The festivities raged on. The ballroom deafening. Lords and dukes roared in laughter, slamming their hands and cups down on the tables, shouting over each other in drunken enthusiasm. Kleio watched drinks slosh in their cups as men stumbled into women, asking for a dance. Her eyes caught the servants, grim faces scurrying around, trying to clean as the mess grew bigger and bigger.

The music had its moments of sweet melodies and then folk songs. But no matter how hard the musicians tried to sway the evening's atmosphere, the attendance of court remained drunk and disorderly. Loud and obnoxious. Knights guarded the doors, sometimes stepping out of rotation to help servants carry those who had passed out, outside. It was a mess and Kleio hated every moment of it.

Cyris had not danced with her again. He lead her to their seats at the table and they began eat that evening's feast. Glazed chickens and turkey's lay upon the table, steaming vegetables and stuffings sat in silver bowls. Relish and fruits were placed at each end of the table. Foods Kleio did not know the names of, but thoroughly enjoyed, occupied most of the setting. It was scrumptious and the only part of the evening she enjoyed.

The Lord and Lady Kerrigan sat side by side, their seats overlooking the room from across the table. Behind Kleio stood a quiet Eleanor. Kleio wished to share the meal, but she knew Cyris would not permit her to. At Cyris's left was his head knight, his right hand man. They quietly talked the whole evening. Not a word was exchanged between the husband and wife.

For what seemed like hours, Kleio sat in silence, feeling alone in a room flooding with people. She only saw the king once, sitting on a luxurious throne, at his own private table above the Kerrigan's. She did not know if he still sat alone, but she truly hoped not.

When Cyris rose from his seat, Kleio's attention snapped back to the present time and she looked to her husband. He stood, raising his glass. The response was a silencing room, as all the men grew sober. She felt their eyes lock onto the table and she wished she could hide. Or be somewhere else entirely.

"I wish to thank the king," Cyris's voice was strong, commanding the room.

"He has given me the most beautiful bride. He has given me companionship. God knows I need it," He flashed a smile then. Though it was not genuine, it still surprised Kleio and she felt her heart freeze when she saw the potential joy could have on his appearance. The crowd laughed at his joke and then the room grew serious again.

Cyris turned to face the king, dropping to one knee, his glass still raised,"Thank you, your majesty."

"Anything for you, Cyris," The king's voice was very warm, as though he had had some alcohol, but only enough to lighten his mood.

"I believe it is time for the gifts to be given to the bride," The king rose from his own table and walked past the Kerrigan table. Down the steps he went and onto the middle of the floor.

The gift giving ceremony had been a tradition for years. The night after the wedding, all men attended a feast where they gave gifts to the groom. Two nights after receiving their insignia, the newlyweds held a ball in the honor of the new bride. Kleio had a feeling this would be terribly uncomfortable.

The king turned and stretched out his hand to Kleio,"I have brought for you 100 dresses of the finest fabric, made from the best tailors in the kingdom. I have given you ten more servants, because that was all Cyris would let me give."

The king rolled his eyes and the people laughed.

"There are trunks of jewels and slippers and fans. I also got you both a bigger bed. Gives you more room to make the little heirs," The king winked. The people laughed again.