Chpater 5

"Stay where you fucking are, or I'll shoot!"

          One hour earlier, the man known as Hoody found himself staring down the barrel of a pistol, gloved hands held in the air above his head. Everything about the gun-toting man's appearance set off alarm bells in his head: a black knitted cap, baggy clothes, bags under his eyes... No matter how he looked at it, this man was bad news. Based on the money wad-shaped bulge in his pants pocket, it was easy to assume Hoody had walked in on the aftermath of a drug deal.

           Red veins were visible in the very corners of the shady-looking man's eyes as he slowly stepped towards Hoody, every movement wary and cautious. "Who the hell are you?" he snarled. Of course Hoody didn't answer, just kept his hands in the air while discreetly glancing around. One of the good things about wearing masks: they can hide where one's eyes look. The fabric in his mask looked solid, but when placed directly against his eyes it was relatively easy to see through for the wearer. Scanning the room, his gaze came to a rest on a corner of the room where part of the wall had crumbled away, exposing some old, rusty pipes inside.

           As Hoody stared at it intently, the man was clearly getting increasingly irritated at his silence. "Take off the mask," he growled, taking another step forward. Big mistake. Suddenly Hoody launched forward, ducking to the side so he was out of the gun's range and slamming his forearm against the man's wrists. Caught off-guard by the attack, the man's grip loosened and the gun went soaring through the air. By the time it landed Hoody had swept out his leg to knock the man off his feet, landing with an "oof".

             The second his attacker lost his balance, Hoody was already dashing to the wall. Wrapping his hands around one of the pipes, he yanked hard and the rusted metal easily gave way, a decently-sized segment snapping off. The man had only just gotten up when Hoody lunged and slammed the corner of the pipe against the back of his head. Screaming in pain, he raced down the hall with Hoody in hot pursuit, a trail of blood splatters following them.

            Chasing his former assailant through the building, Hoody's pace only picked up and he managed to swing at his back, earning another scream. Finally, as they turned a corner the man failed to notice some rubble on the floor and tripped, sliding into a large, open room. Not faltering in his pace, Hoody ran over and then swung the pipe down on the man's skull. A sickening crack filled the air and his neck quickly bent at the force of the blow, and Hoody struck him a few more times before finally stopping.

          Panting heavily, he staring down at the glassy-eyed corpse in silence, exhausted from the effort required to kill him. Murder wasn't exactly something he was used to doing; fighting and scaring people, yes, but killing? That was new. He could still feel the tingling sensation reverberating up his arms with each strike dealt to the man's skull. As he stared at the body, his grip loosened and he let the pipe slide through his fingers, not flinching at the loud clatter it made.

          What DID make him flinch was the scratching sound of something skidding across the hard floor behind him.

          Instantly he spun around to find himself staring at a strange girl standing in the doorway of the room, watching him with wide (e/c) eyes. As they stared at each other Hoody's mind went to work, quickly assessing the girl's appearance. Smudged (s/c) skin, disheveled (h/c) hair, ragged and dirty clothes... Homeless, he decided. Given her eyes weren't bloodshot, she probably wasn't a druggie, and most likely just happened to be staying here and heard the scream.