Chapter 13

Generic washed-out navy blue filled the corner of the screen, the white font on it asking for new text. Quickly changing the background to black, I randomly mashed the keyboard to make sure I could type in the text box before turning to Tim. "Okay, what should I type?"

      "Whatever you have to," he replied simply. "Just make it clear I'm not involved."

     "Right." Nodding, I turned back to the laptop to start typing. His request was simple: create a short video stating he wouldn't get involved with Marble Hornets anymore. Yet for all its simplicity, it was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. My fingers moved a lot slower than usual, each press of the keys heavy and difficult. What would I even say? How could I convince Hoody to stop looking for him?

     Mulling over it silently for a bit, soon I took a deep breath and started working. I was a bit rusty on Windows Movie Maker, but the controls soon came back to me and soon it was like I'd never stopped. Neither of us spoke as I worked, Tim just sitting across from me drinking from a mug of steaming coffee with a faraway look in his eyes while I focused on the screen.

     After typing and revising for a solid half hour, eventually I finished and gestured for Tim to get up. "Tell me what you think." Without a word he walked over and I pressed play, a preview of my project running full-screen. Once the short video finished, he slowly nodded in approval.

     "...It's good. But are you sure you want to do it that way?"

     "I am. It's the best way to get his attention."

       "...Alright then." He nodded and then walked me through uploading it to YouTube on the official Marble Hornets channel. Honestly, it probably would have been easier and faster for him to do it himself, but I didn't say that out loud. I knew he just wanted as little to do with it as possible. Soon enough everything was ready, and we just needed a title.

     "What should I call it?" I asked, and he shrugged.

     "I don't know... Just, anything, I guess." Thinking it over, I finally typed a simple title into the box:

     RE: WAITING

     Tim nodded in silent approval, and after a few moments I took a deep breath and clicked "submit". A loading screen appeared briefly, and then it was done. Just like that, the video was uploaded, now freely available on the internet for anyone and everyone to see. As soon as I confirmed it was up, I quietly logged out and shut down the laptop. Tim unplugged the charger and put both the cable and the laptop itself into a bulky black case, zipping it up and offering it to me.

     "Thanks," I said quietly as I took it, slinging the strap over my shoulder. Tim didn't respond, just stared at me for a moment before turning away with a sigh. Heading to his bedroom, he soon returned with a small stack of bills.

     "Here, take this," he said as he handed them to me. My eyes widened as I noticed the top one was a twenty dollar bill, and after quickly leafing through the stack I realized the rest were a mix of twenties and tens.