Chapter 10

"Don't fall asleep, (Name)... Just stay awake..."

     I grumbled to myself under my breath as I leaned my head against the window of the bus, desperately fighting against my drooping eyelids to stay awake. Another night had passed, and thanks to my newfound awareness of my sleepwalking it had been a pretty rough one. In a very meta twist, throughout the night I kept dreaming that I was sleepwalking, and would wake up while trying to stop myself. So yeah, not one of my better nights, and by morning I wasn't exactly "rested".

     Drowsy or not, though, I still had a bus to catch. Checking the Reddit thread at the library was a big priority for me, so I dragged myself to the bus stop to hop on the first one. Let's see if this was worth it, I thought to myself as the bus finally reached the library, and before long I was seated at a computer opening up Reddit. A tired smile touched my lips as I saw my inbox in the upper corner was full of messages. Looks like my efforts weren't in vain after all. With that happy thought I quickly went to the thread, only to freeze and stare in shock.

     2,134.

     That was the number next to the title of my post on Reddit, the up arrow highlighted in green. And my shock only grew when I saw nearly one thousand comments under the title. For a while I just stared at the screen slack-jawed, totally stunned. I'd expected a few replies and up-votes, but this? This exceeded all expectations. Slowly shaking my head, I clicked on the topic and started reading. I already knew there was no way I could read all of these replies in just one hour, but I could try.

     Many of the comments addressed similar points and topics, like asking if I had a history of drugs or hallucinations. Other people suggested I might have been hallucinating possibly due to a fever, and may want to see a doctor as soon as possible even though four months have already passed since then. Pretty typical stuff like that. However, the most common mention of all was something called "Marble Hornets".

     Marble Hornets this, Marble Hornets that. This belongs in the MH subreddit, mark your stuff as fan fiction. Et cetera, et cetera. Funnily enough, the term wasn't new to me; I'd seen it several times during my searches. All the stuff I saw were links to videos or speculation threads though, and it only took a glance at one thread to conclude it was just some made-up web series. Something about a guy looking into tapes from his pal's student film and bad stuff happening to everyone involved afterwards, I didn't read much before deciding it was nothing worth looking into.

      Reading through the rigorous debates on my post about whether my story was fan fiction or "canon" made me wonder though. Several people compared my story to events in the series, debating about inconsistencies between my story and the Marble Hornets canon. Most notably, they kept referencing something they called the "Tall Man". Apparently, my monster was very similar to it. Even my brief mention of Hoody spawned some discussion, because apparently there were also two masked people in Marble Hornets and I might be using an OC based on them.

     Curiosity piqued, I soon opened another tab to search for Marble Hornets in Google. Not like I had any other leads, so I might as well look into it a little bit. Speculation threads about it abounded, and as I clicked on them and began reading, soon I found myself engrossed in the story-line. The series mainly followed Jay's investigations, uploading both older tapes from the student film and new videos about present developments. While the Tall Man played a large role, there were other players such as "ToTheArk", a mysterious person who uploaded videos containing cryptic messages and codes. Alex Kralie, the director of the original tapes, also became a threat after a certain point in the story.